Current Affairs, August 2017
Home⇒Current Affairs⇒Current Affairs, August-2017
22nd August, Current Affairs:
• Supreme Court today banned the Islamic practice that allows men to
leave their wives immediately by stating "talaq" (divorce) three times.
• The Sports Ministry announced the winners of the prestigious Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna, Dronacharya and Dhyan Chand awards. Paralympian Devendra Jhajharia and former Indian hockey skipper Sardar Singh will be honoured with the Khel Ratna award. The Dronacharya Award will be awarded to Late Dr. R. Gandhi (athletics), Heera Nand Kataria (Kabaddi), G.S.S.V. Prasad (Badminton) (lifetime), Brij Bhushan Mohanty (Boxing) (lifetime), P.A. Raphel (Hockey) (lifetime), Sanjoy Chakraverthy (Shooting) (lifetime) and Roshan Lal (Wrestling) (lifetime). 17 players who will be rewarded with Arjuna awrad this year. These are V.J. Surekha (Archery), Khushbir Kaur (Athletics), Arokia Rajiv (Athletics), Prasanthi Singh (Basketball), Laishram Debendro Singh (Boxing), Cheteshwar Pujara (Cricket), Harmanpreet Kaur (Cricket), Oinam Bembem Devi (Football), S.S.P. Chawrasia (Golf), S.V. Sunil (Hockey), Jasvir Singh (Kabaddi), P. N. Prakash (Shooting), A. Amalraj (Table Tennis), Saketh Myneni (Tennis), Satyawart Kadian (Wrestling), Mariyappan (Para-Athlete) and Varun Singh Bhati (Para-Athlete).
21st August, Current Affairs:
• O Panneerselvam take oath as Deputy Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu after the two factions of the AIADMK merged.
19th August, Current Affairs:
• At least 23 killed and several injured as Utkal Express derails in Muzaffarnagar in Uttar Pradesh.
18th August, Current Affairs:
• Vishal Sikka quits from the Infosys CEO post.
16th August, Current Affairs:
• In a Preliminary results from the first-ever synchronised all-India
Asian Elephant Population estimation pegs count at 27,312. According to the
report, Karnataka has the highest number of elephants (6,049), followed by
Assam (5,719) and Kerala (3,054).
• Real Madrid beat Barcelona 2-0 to win the Spanish Super Cup 5-1 on aggregate.
15th August, Current Affairs:
• 71st Independence Day is celebrated in India.
14th August, Current Affairs:
• At least 46 people were killed and several injured following a massive
landslide in Himachal Pradesh's Mandi district.
• India beat Sri Lanka to win the three matches Test series by 3-0 and thus completing first 3-match test series whitewash away from home.
12th August, Current Affairs:
• International Youth Day celebrated today globally.
11th August, Current Affairs:
• M Venkaiah Naidu sworn in as 13th Vice-President of India.
• Famous lyricist Prasoon Joshi appointed as the chairman of Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC).
• Davinder Singh becomes 1st Indian to qualify for Javelin Finals at World Athletics Championship.
9th August, Current Affairs:
• The 75th anniversary of the Quit India Movement observed across the country.
8th August, Current Affairs:
• Justice Dipak Misra will succeed Chief Justice JS Khehar as the next Chief Justice of India. He will take the charge on August 27.
6th August, Current Affairs:
• Economist Dr Rajiv Kumar named as the new vice chairman of NITI Aayog.
5th August, Current Affairs:
• NDA candidate M Venkaiah Naidu elected as India's 13th Vice President.
Mr Naidu received 516 votes defeating the opposition's candidate, former
West Bengal Governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi by a margin of 272 votes.
• Bengaluru will have to launch India’s first heli-taxi service. The Kempegowda International Airport will become the first airport in the country to have a helicopter-taxi (heli-taxi) service.
2nd August, Current Affairs:
• The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) cut repo rate by 25 basis points to 6 per cent.
1st August, Current Affairs:
• Arvind Panagariya resigned as vice chairman of the Niti Aayog.
• Shahid Khaqan Abbasi has been appointed the interim Prime Minister of Pakistan after Nawaz Sharif was disqualified by the Supreme Court.
• World's longest suspension footbridge opens in Switzerland spanning 494m across valley.