Current Affairs, January 2017
Home⇒Current Affairs⇒Current Affairs, January-2017
15th January, Current Affairs:
• The 69th Indian Army Day celebrated today.
• 24 people were killed when two country boats capsized in river Ganga near NIT ghat at Patna in Bihar.
• Aamir Khan won the Best Actor (Male) Award for Dangal and Alia Bhatt was given Best Actor (Female) Award for Udta Punjab in the 62nd edition of Filmfare Awards held in Mumbai.
14th January, Current Affairs:
• Gujarat wins their maiden Ranji Trophy title after defeating defending champions Mumbai by five wickets in Indore.
13th January, Current Affairs:
• India celebrates harvest festivals Lohri, Magh Bihu, Pongal and Makar Sankranti in different parts.
12th January, Current Affairs:
• CEO and Managing Director of Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) Natarajan
Chandrasekaran appointed as new chairman of Tata Sons.
• India's second Scorpene-class diesel-electric attack submarine Khanderi launched at Mumbai's Mazagon Dock.
• National Youth Day is celebrated today on the 154th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda.
11th January, Current Affairs:
• Anju Mangla becomes the first female superintendent of high-profile
Tihar jail in New Delhi.
• President Barack Obama made his farewell speech in Chicago.
10th January, Current Affairs:
• One of the world's oldest and most iconic web portals Yahoo now will be
known with its new name Altaba Inc.
• Mumbai become the first Indian city to have WiFi connectivity in public places. The state activated 500 hotspots across different locations.
• Portugal and Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo named FIFA's best men's footballer of 2016.
9th January, Current Affairs:
• Amir Khan’s Dangal becomes Bollywood’s highest grosser film.
• Amitabh Bachchan has been honoured by the US Embassy to acknowledge his immense contribution to the India-US ties on tuberculosis.
• Roberto Bautista Agut of Spain wins the Chennai Open after defeating Daniil Medvedev by 6-3, 6-4.
• American romantic musical comedy-drama film "La La Land" wins 7 awards in Golden Globes 2017.
6th January, Current Affairs:
• The 14th Prawasi Bharatiya Diwas began at Bengaluru.
• Bollywood actor Om Puri died of a heart attack in Mumbai at the age of 66.
5th January, Current Affairs:
• Pakistan batsman Younis Khan becomes first player to score Test
hundreds in 11 countries after scoring century on the third day of the third
Test match against Australia at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
• MS Dhoni stepped down as India's ODI and T20 skipper.
• US Army has issued a new regulation under which servicemen who wear turbans, hijabs or beards can now be enrolled in the military service.
4th January, Current Affairs:
• Election Commission today announced poll dates for 5 states - UP, Punjab, Uttarakhand, Goa and Manipur. Voting will be start from 4th February to 8th March in different days. Counting for all states will be held on March 11.
3rd January, Current Affairs:
• Mobile payment service Paytm received a formal approval from the
Reserve Bank of India to launch its Paytm Payments Bank.
• American company Apple will manufacture iPhones in India in collaboration with Taiwanese company Wistron. The factory will be establish in the Bengaluru city.
2nd January, Current Affairs:
• The Supreme Court ordered today to remove Anurag Thakur as chief of
India's cricket board BCCI for not implementing Lodha Committee
recommendation. The Supreme Court has also ordered the sacking of BCCI
secretary Ajay Shirke.
• Union Government has clarified that the service charge which ranges from 5 to 20 percent cannot be mandatorily applied by restaurants. Government says payment has to be voluntary.
• India successfully test-fired long range intercontinental surface-to-surface nuclear capable ballistic missile Agni-IV from the Abdul Kalam Wheeler Island off Odisha.
1st January, Current Affairs:
• New Year is celebrated across the World.
• 39 people were killed in a terror attack at a nightclub in Istanbul where revellers were celebrating the New Year party.