Current Affairs, October 2016
Home⇒Current Affairs⇒Current Affairs, October-2016
31st October, Current Affairs:
• The Ross Sea of the Southern Ocean in Antarctica is declared as world’s
largest Marine Protected Area (MPA).
• Today is celebrated as Rashtriya Ekta Diwas on the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
30th October, Current Affairs:
• The 193-member General Assembly elected 14 countries (Iraq, Saudi
Arabia, Egypt, China, Brazil, Rwanda, Cuba, South Africa, Japan, Tunisia,
the U.S. and the U.K.) to the 47-member council which did not include
• Diwali is celebrated in the United Nations Headquarters in New York for the first time.
• India defeated Pakistan 3-2 in the final of the Asian Champions Trophy Hockey tournament to win the title for second time.
29th October, Current Affairs:
• India celebrates the festival of light Diwali.
• Indian cricket team wins the 5 match ODI series against New Zealand by 3-2.
26th October, Current Affairs:
• Paul Beatty has become the first American writer to win the Man Booker
prize for his novel "'The Sellout".
• Virat Kohli becoming the fastest batsman to reach 7,500 ODI runs. He achieves this milestone in just 167 innings.
25th October, Current Affairs:
• Union Government raised the salary of President from the current Rs. 1.5 lakh to Rs. 5 lakh in a month. The Vice-President's salary will increase to Rs. 3.5 lakh a month from the existing Rs. 1.10 lakh a month.
24th October, Current Affairs:
• Ratan Tata appointed as the Chairman of Tata Sons for four months after removal of Cyrus Mistry from the post.
23rd October, Current Affairs:
• Indian Grandmaster Abhijeet Gupta created history at the Hoogeveen
International chess tournament by becoming the first player ever to win the
title twice in a row in the FIDE Open.
• The first woman to conquer Mount Everest Junko Tabei of Japan has died aged 77.
22nd October, Current Affairs:
• India beat Iran 38-29 in the final to win the Kabaddi World Cup 2016.
21st October, Current Affairs:
• Bengaluru FC becoming the first Indian football club to reach the final of AFC Cup. Bengaluru FC defeated defending champions Johor Darul Ta’zim 3-1 in the second leg of the semi-final in Banglaore.
18th October, Current Affairs:
• Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal has been appointed as a member of the
International Olympic Committee's (IOC) Athletes' Commission.
• Ashok Leyland Ltd built and unveiled India's first all electric bus.
15th October, Current Affairs:
• 8th BRICS Summit starts in Goa from today.
• India and Russia signed 16 agreements including Rs. 39,000 crore defence deal to procure most advanced anti-aircraft defence system the S-400 Triumph.
• At least 24 people were killed in a stampede at a religious gathering on the outskirts of Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh.
14th October, Current Affairs:
• Swapnil Gugale and Ankit Bawane of Maharashtra broke the 70-year-old partnership record for all wickets in the Ranji Trophy when they stand of 594 runs against Delhi.
13th October, Current Affairs:
• American music legend and song writer Bob Dylan wins the Nobel
Literature Prize. He is the first songwriter to win the prestigious award.
• King of Thailand Bhumibol Adulyadej died at the age of 88 in Bangkok.
11th October, Current Affairs:
• Dussehra is celebrated across the country.
• India wins the three matches Test series against New Zealand by 3-0 after defeating New Zealand by 321 run in the last match. Ravichandran Ashwin given the Man of the Series award for his 27 wickets haul.
• Philanthropist and businesswoman Adi Godrej died at the age of 70 in Mumbai.
10th October, Current Affairs:
• British Oliver Hart and Bengt Holmstrom form Finland wins Nobel in
Economics for Work on Contracts.
• Virat Kohli becomes first Indian captain to score two double centuries.
• Indian shooter Jitu Rai awarded with the 'Champion of Champions' title for pistol shooting in 2016 by the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF).
8th October, Current Affairs:
• The 84th Indian Air Force Day observed across India.
• Durga Puja is being celebrated across India.
• The United States lifted sanctions against Myanmar after two decades.
7th October, Current Affairs:
• 478 people killed in Haiti after hurricane Matthew hit the islands.
• Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos has been awarded with the 2016 Nobel Peace Prize.
5th October, Current Affairs:
• Former Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Guterres will be the next
United Nations Secretary-General who will replace present Secretary-General
• Jean-Pierre Sauvage, Bernard Feringa and Sir Fraser Stoddart win Nobel prize in chemistry for the development of nanomachines, made of moving molecules.
4th October, Current Affairs:
• The Reserve Bank of India cut its repo rate by 25 basis points to 6.25
per cent from 6.5 per cent which is lowest in last 6 years.
• British scientist David Thouless, Duncan Haldane and Michael Kosterlitz won the 2016 Nobel Prize for Physics for studies of unusual states of matter.
3rd October, Current Affairs:
• Yoshinori Ohsumi of Japan won the 2016 Nobel Prize for physiology or medicine for work on cell 'recycling'.
2nd October, Current Affairs:
• Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan will be
the next chief guest at India’s Republic Day parade of 2017.
• International Day of Non-Violence observed across the world to marks the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi.
• India pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi on his 147th birth anniversary.
1st October, Current Affairs:
• The 2016 Indian Super league starts with an opening ceremony in
• 3 Star Club Nepal beat East Bengal Club, Kolkata 2-1 in the final to win the 64th Bharat Ratna Gopinath Bordoloi Trophy Football Tournament.