Timeline of Indian History ......
• 2800 BC Indus Valley Civilization begins in the northwestern region of India
• 2600 BC Mohenjo-daro and Harappa phase of the Indus Valley Civilization begins, in Punjab and
Sindh. Other cities like Lothal, Mehrgarh also emerged during this period.
invaded by the Aryans from the west
• 1400 BC The Vedas, the Hindu scripture, was written
• 600 BC The Upanishads written
• 599 BC Mahavira, 24th Tirthankar of Jainism is born
• 563 BC Gautam Buddha, founder of Buddhism is born in Lumbini
• 527 BC Nirvana of Mahavira
• 492 BC Bimbisara dies and is succeeded by Ajatashatru in Magadha Empire
• 483 BC Death of Gautama Buddha in Kushinagar
• 326 BC Alexander the Great moved into India, King Porus who ruled parts of the Punjab, fought
Alexander at the Battle of the Hydaspes River.
• 321 BC Chandragupta Maurya established Mauryan dynasty defeating Dhana Nanda
• 305 BC Chandragupta Maurya defeats Seleucus Nicator of the Seleucid Empire.
• 300 BC Chola dynasty establishes his kingdom over southern India with capital in Thanjavur
• 269 BC Ashoka the Great, grandson of Chandragupta Maurya, becomes the emperor of India
• 261 BC Kalinga War takes place between Magadha Empire and the kingdom of Kalinga.
• 232 BC Death of King Ashoka
• 185 BC The Mauryan Empire, collapsed after its emperor Brihadrata was assassinated by his
general Pusyamitra Sunga who then established the Sunga dynasty
• 50 AD Establishment of the Kushan empire by Kujula Kadphises, first Buddhist stupa is
constructed at Sanchi
• 300 The Pallava dynasty is established in Kanchi
• 320 The Gupta dynasty founded by Maharaja Sri Gupta, reunited northern India initiating
the "golden Age" of India
• 335 King Samudragupta ascends the Gupta throne and expands the empire.
• 380 Chandragupta II, Samudragupta's son becomes the Gupta Emperor.
• 450 Invasions by the Huna.
• 606 Harshavardhana crowned Monarch.
First Muslim, Md. Bin Qasim defeats Raja Dahir
• 1021 Mahmud Ghazni defeats Tarnochalpal and annexes Punjab
• 1206 Qutb ub-din Aybak establishes the Delhi Sultanate
• 1221 Genghis Khan invades Punjab
• 1236 Razia Sultana, only lady ruler of Delhi
• 1290 Jalal ud-Din Firuz establishes the Khilji sultanate at Delhi
• 1298 Marco Polo visits India
• 1336 Vijayanagara Empire established by Harihara I and his brother Bukka Raya I
• 1398 Timur conquered India resulting in the decline of the Delhi Sultanate
• 1469 Birth of Guru Nanak Dev
• 1497 Vasco de Gama's first voyage from Europe to India and back (to 1499)
• 1526 Babur established the Mughal Empire
• 1555 Mughal king Humayun comes to fight Sher Shah and regains India
• 1556 Humayun dies, and is succeeded by Akbar
• 1600 Queen Elizabeth I granted a charter to the East India Company established trading posts
in Bombay, Calcutta, and Madras
• 1605 Akbar dies, and is succeeded by his son Jehangir.
• 1612 British arrives India
• 1632 Taj Mahal construction initiated by Mughal ruler Shah Jahan
• 1653 Shah Jahan completes Taj Mahal. Shah Jahan dies, and is succeeded by his son
• 1675 Guru Tegh Bahadur, the ninth Guru of Sikhs is executed in Delhi. Guru Gobind Singh
becomes tenth Guru of Sikhs.
• 1680 Shivaji dies at Raigad, Sambhaji became 2nd Chhatrapati of the Maratha Empire
• 1707 Death of Aurangzeb the Mughal emperor.
• 1757 In Battle of Plassey, Robert Clive, leads British forces which defeated the Mughal
governor of Bengal Mir Jafar
• 1774 Warren Hastings appointed the first governor general of India by the East India
• 1775 First Anglo-Maratha War
• 1799 Death of Tipu Sultan
• 1853 Started Post Service
• 1853 First Railway established between Bombay and Thane
• 1857 Indian Mutiny Rebellion of 1857(10th May)
• 1857 Establishment of University of Mumbai, University of Madras and University of Calcutta
• 1858 The British government ruled India, Lord Dalhousie becomes the Governor-General of
• 1862 Death of Bahadur Shah Zafar
• 1869 "Arya Samaj" Established
• 1876 Queen Victoria was given the title Empress of India by the British Parliament
• 1885 Burma became an Indian province
• 1885 The Indian National Congress was formed (28th December)
• 1905 The British government divided Bengal into separate Hindu and Muslim sections
• 1914 World War 1
• 1915 Mahatma Gandhi returns back to India
• 1919 Jallianwala Bagh Massacre (13th April)
• 1920 Mahatma Gandhi became president of Indian National
Congress, Non-cooperation movement Khilafat Movement
• 1927 Simon Commission
• 1929 Central Assembly Bombed by Bhagat Singh and Batukeshwar Dutt.
• 1930 Purna Swaraj resolution in Lahore, Salt Satyagraha started
• 1931 Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev Martyred (23rd March)
• 1935 Government of India Act
• 1939 World War 2 began
• 1940 Muhammad Ali Jinnah demanded that a new country be formed from India for the
Muslims, which would be called Pakistan
• 1942 Quit India Movement
• 1942 Indian National Army Established by Subhas Chandra Bose
• 1945 World War II ended when United States dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and
• 1946 Royal Indian Navy Mutiny
• 1946 The British government agreed to grant India independence
• 1947 British and Indian leaders agreed to divide the country into India and Pakistan
• 1947 India became independent (15th August)
• 1948 Mahatma Gandhi assassinated Nathuram Godse (30th January)
• 1950 Constitution of India came into effect and Jawaharlal Nehru became the Indian first
prime minister (26th January)