• Assam is located in the northeastern part of India.
• The state is bounded to the north by the kingdom of Bhutan and the state of Arunachal Pradesh, to the east by the states of Nagaland and Manipur, to the south by the states of Mizoram and Tripura, and to the west by Bangladesh and the states of Meghalaya and West Bengal.
• Dispur is the capital of Assam.
• Guwahati is the largest city in Assam and North East. Guwahati is also known as Gateway of North East as it the center point of trade and communication.
• Jorhat, Dibrugarh, Tezpur, Silchar are some important cities of Assam.
• Brahmaputra and Barak are the two major rivers that flow across Assam. Assam has three principal physical regions—the Brahmaputra River valley, the Barak River valley, and the hilly region between Meghalaya (to the west) and Nagaland and Manipur (to the east).
• Economy of the mainly depends on Agriculture and Tea cultivation. Also petroleum, natural gas, and coal are major sources of Economy.
• It has a total area of 30,285 square miles.
• The state has a total of 34 districts.
• According to the 2011 census, the total population of Assam is 3.1 cores.
• The literacy rate is 73.18 percentages.
• Kamakhya Temple, Kaziranga Wildlife Sanctuary, Majuli, Sivsagar, Srimanta Sankardev Kalakhetra are some of the major tourist attractions in Assam.
• Assamese is the official language of Assam. Besides the Assamese language, Bodo, Bengali, Karbi are some other languages spoken in Assam. More than forty languages are spoken by different communities in Assam.
• Bihu is the main festival of Assam.
• The world’s largest river island Majuli is situated in Assam.
• The famous Indian one-horned rhinoceros is found only in Assam.
• Bodo, Miri, Karbi, Rabha, Kachari, Lalung, Deori, Dimasa, etc are some of the major ethnic groups found in Assam.
|Category||English Term||Assamese Term|
|Bird||White-winged wood duck||Deo haah|
|Dance||Bihu Dance||Bihu nas|
|Flower||Foxtail Orchids||Kopou phul|
|Literary Society||Assam Literary Society||Axom Xahityo Xobha|
|Motto||Hail mother Assam||Joi Aai Axom|
|Seal||Government of Assam||Axom sorkar|
|Song||O my dearest country||O Mur Apunar Dekh|
|District||Headquarter||Population (2011)||Area (km²)||Density (/km²)|
|West Karbi Anglong||Hamren||3,00,320||3,035||99|