Current Affairs, April 2021
13th April, Current Affairs:
• India seamer Bhuvneshwar Kumar won the
ICC Player of the Month award for his superlative show in the limited overs
series against England in March.
• Various regions of the country are celebrating traditional New Year today in the form of Ugadi, Gudi Padava, Chaitra Sukladi, Cheti Chand, Vishu, Puthandu and Bohag Bihu.
12th April, Current Affairs:
• The Expert panel of the Central drug
regulator, DCGA has recommended emergency use authorisation to the Russian
Vaccine, Sputnik-V. After necessary approval from the DCGA, Sputnik-V will
be the third vaccine to get emergency use authorisation from the drug
regulator after Covishield and Covaxin.
• President Ram Nath Kovind appointed Election Commissioner Sushil Chandra to take over as Chief Election Commissioner from Sunil Arora, whose tenure ended on April 12.
• Gig-economy Western “Nomadland” won four prizes including best picture at the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA).
11th April, Current Affairs:
• India has banned export of the
anti-viral drug Remdesivir amid a surge in COVID-19 cases in the country.
• India has started four-day special vaccination drive "Tika Utsav" announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi today.
• India has achieved the landmark of administering over 10 crore vaccine doses in a record time of 85 days surpassing the vaccination rate of all other countries in the world including that of the USA and China.
• World Parkinson's Day is being observed today.
• Emirati national Nora al-Matrooshi selected has made history in the United Arab Emirates as the country's first female astronaut.
10th April, Current Affairs:
• As per Election Commission's data,
76.16 per cent polling has been recorded till 5 PM in the 4th Phase of
Assembly polls held in West Bengal today.
• Over one lakh 45 thousand new cases of COVID-19 have been reported in the country in the last 24 hours. It is the highest single-day spike since outbreak of Covid-19 pandemic till now.
9th April, Current Affairs:
• The Duke of Edinburgh Prince Philip,
Queen Elizabeth II's husband, has died today at the age of 99.
• The 14th edition of Indian Premier League begins today with Mumbai Indians opening their title defence against Royal Challengers Bangalore at the Chepauk grounds in Chennai.
7th April, Current Affairs:
• World Health Day is being observed
• North Korea will not participate in the Tokyo Olympics this year to protect its athletes amid the coronavirus pandemic.
• In view of the recent surge in COVID-19 cases, the Chhattisgarh government today announced a lockdown in Raipur district with effect from 9th April 9 to 19th April.
• India has the third highest number of billionaires in the world after the U.S. and China, according to a new list by the prestigious Forbes magazine. Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani reclaimed his spot as Asia’s richest person, dethroning Chinese business tycoon Jack Ma who was the richest person in the region a year ago.
• Forbes’ 35th annual list of the world’s billionaires is topped by Amazon CEO and Founder Jeff Bezos for the fourth year in a row.
• The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) voted unanimously to leave the policy repo rate unchanged at 4%.
6th April, Current Affairs:
• Polling for the single-phase elections
in Kerala and Tamil Nadu, as well as the Union Territory of Puducherry along
with the Lok Sabha by-polls for Kanniyakumari seat in Tamil Nadu and
Malappuram seat in Kerala, is conducted today. Polling is also being held in
Assam and West Bengal for the Third Phase of Assembly Elections.
• Justice NV Ramana has been appointed as the next Chief Justice of India by President Ram Nath Kovind. He will take oath on April 24.
• Russian President Vladimir Putin gave final approval to legislation allowing him to hold office for two additional six-year terms, giving himself the possibility to stay in power until 2036.
• Delhi will start a 10 pm to 5 am night curfew from now till April 30 due to steep rise in Covid cases.
4th April, Current Affairs:
• Easter is being celebrated across the
• Twenty-two jawans were killed and 31 sustained injuries in an encounter with Naxals in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur district.
• The Maharashtra government on Sunday announced new restrictions including a night curfew in the state and a "strict lockdown" over the weekends from Friday 8 pm to Monday 7 pm amid an unprecedented surge in coronavirus cases.
• The Australian women’s cricket team has surpassed Ricky Ponting’s famous side from 2003 and created ODI history by winning a world record 22nd straight game in the format.
2nd April, Current Affairs:
• Good Friday is being observed today. It
commemorates the day of crucifixion of Jesus Christ.
• World Bank has raised Indian GDP growth prediction for 2021-22 fiscal to 10.1 percent from 5.4 percent projected in January.
1st April, Current Affairs:
• West Bengal recorded 80.43% voter
turnout till 6 pm on Thursday in the second phase of polling in assembly
elections while Assam recorded 73.03% turnout.
• Actor Rajinikanth will be conferred with the prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke award. This announcement was made by Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar today.
• Government has extended the last date for linking of Aadhaar number with PAN upto 30th June this year.
• The fourth batch of three Rafale fighter jets arrived in India from France yesterday.
• Lieutenant General Manjinder Singh took over as the Chief of Staff, Headquarters Western Command.
• Team India captain Virat Kohli has retained his top spot in the ICC rankings for ODI batsmen released today. Kohli has 870 points in his kitty.
• Odisha celebrates 86th statehood day as ‘Utkala Dibasa’.
• Covid-19 vaccination for everyone aged above 45 years began today. The comorbidities clause has been removed to make the system simpler.