Current Affairs, December 2019
10th December, Current Affairs:
• India, for the first time, ranks
among the top 10 in this year's Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI)
released today at the COP25 climate summit in Spanish capital Madrid.
• Lok Sabha has passed the Citizenship Amendment Bill, 2019. 311 members voted in favour of the Bill and 80 members opposed it.
• The world observes Human Rights Day today. The Day is celebrated on the 10th December every year to commemorate the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR).
9th December, Current Affairs:
• The World Anti-Doping Agency banned
Russia from global sporting events including the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and the
2022 Beijing Winter Olympics after accusing Moscow of falsifying data from
an anti-doping laboratory.
• The ruling BJP party wins 12 of 15 seats in the Karnataka assembly bypolls. The Congress could bag two seats and an Independent registered victory in one.
• The Arms (Amendment) Bill, 2019 was passed by the Lok Sabha today.
• South Africa's Zozibini Tunzi has been crowned Miss Universe for the year 2019, beating more than 90 contestants.
• Veteran opener Wasim Jaffer became the first player in Indian cricket to feature in 150 Ranji matches.
8th December, Current Affairs:
• Forty-three people were killed when a fire broke out at a luggage manufacturing factory in north Delhi.
7th December, Current Affairs:
• Polling underway in second phase of
Jharkhand Assembly elections for 20 constituencies.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi is holding a discussion on internal security-related issues at the All India Conference of Directors General and Inspectors General of Police in Pune.
• Armed Forces Flag Day is observed across the country today. It is observed on the 7th of December every year to honour the martyrs and Armed Forces personnel, who safeguard the motherland.
5th December, Current Affairs:
• The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in
its fifth bi-monthly Monetary Policy has kept the policy repo rate unchanged
at 5.15 per cent.
• The National Capital Territory of Delhi Bill, 2019 passed by the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday. The Bill seeks to regularise 1731 unauthorised colonies in Delhi which house over 40 lakh people.
• A special court today declared absconding diamantaire Nirav Modi, prime accused in the Punjab National Bank scam, a fugitive economic offender (FEO).
• India's GS Lakshmi is all set to create history as she will become the first female match referee to officiate in a men's One-day International (ODI) match, the International Cricket Council (ICC) announced today.
4th December, Current Affairs:
• Former union minister P Chidambaram
walked out of Delhi's Tihar jail this evening after being granted bail by
the Supreme Court in the INX Media case.
• The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill or CAB, which seeks to make it easier for non-Muslim refugees from Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan to become citizens of India, has been cleared by the cabinet for tabling in parliament.
• The Cabinet approved a proposal to extend reservation for SCs and STs in the Lok Sabha and the State Assemblies for another 10 years.
• Alphabet CEO Larry Page and President Sergey Brin announced that they are stepping down. Sundar Pichai will be the new CEO of Alphabet. He will also remain the CEO at Google.
• Indian shooters bagged nine medals, including four golds in the 13th South Asian Games in Kathmandu.
3rd December, Current Affairs:
• The Parliament has passed the Special
Protection Group (Amendment) Bill, 2019 with the Rajya Sabha approving it
• The Parliament today passed a bill which seeks to merge two Union Territories -- Daman and Diu, and Dadra and Nagar Haveli -- into one unit. The Rajya Sabha passed the Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu (Merger of Union Territories) Bill, 2019 through voice vote.
• Uttar Pradesh batsman Priyam Garg will lead defending champions India in next year's Under-19 ICC Cricket World Cup to be held in South Africa.
• International Day of Persons with Disabilities is being observed today.
• International medal-winning Indian woman boxer Neeraj (57kg), who was among the probables for 2020 Tokyo Olympics, has been provisionally suspended after failing a dope test.
• In South Asian Games, Indian men's volleyball team has clinched gold defeating Pakistan in the final at Kathmandu. In a thrilling final India crushed Pakistan by 3-1.
• Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi won the prestigious award Ballon D'Or for a record-breaking 6th time.
2nd December, Current Affairs:
• Today is observed as National
Pollution Control Day.
• Chinese Taipei's Wang Tzu Wei defeats Sourabh Verma in straight sets by 21-15, 21-17 in the final of Syed Modi International Men's single.
• Defending champions Karnataka clinch a last-ball win as they beat Tamil Nadu by one run in the final of the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy 2019-20.
1st December, Current Affairs:
• World AIDS Day is being observed
today to raise public awareness about Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome,
AIDS. It is a pandemic disease caused due to the infection of Human
Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV).
• Goods and services tax or GST collection stood at Rs 1,03,492 crore in the month of November.