Current Affairs,January 2022
21st January, Current Affairs:
• The Amar Jawan Jyoti or the eternal
flame for soldiers was put out at India Gate in Delhi after 50 years and
merged with the torch at the National War Memorial with a great ceremony.
• According to a US-based global leader approval tracker, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has emerged as the most popular leader worldwide with 71 percent approval ratings among the 13 world leaders.
20th January, Current Affairs:
• Indonesia's parliament has approved a
bill to relocate the nation's capital from Jakarta to a jungled area of
Kalimantan on Borneo Island.
• An expert panel of India's central drug authority granted regular market approval to Covid vaccines Covishield and Covaxin. A market authorisation label for a vaccine means it can be authorised for use without reservations or conditions.
• India successfully tested BrahMos supersonic cruise missile, with increased indigenous content and improved performance. The launch was conducted by Brahmos Aerospace in close coordination with the teams of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
17th January, Current Affairs:
• Kathak legend Pandit Birju Maharaj
died at his home in Delhi late Sunday after suffering a heart attack. He was
83. Pandit Birju Maharaj was an exponent of the Kalka-Bindadin Gharana of
Lucknow. Pandit Birju Maharaj received India's second-highest civil honour,
the Padma Vobhushan, in 1984 for his contributions in the field of dance.
• Punjab Assembly elections has been deferred to 20th February this year. Earlier, the poll was scheduled to take place on 14th February.
• The 9th women National Ice Hockey Championship-2022 was inaugurated at Ice Skating Rink, Kaza in Lahaul Spiti district in Himachal Pradesh.
16th January, Current Affairs:
• Virat Kohli has stepped down as the
Test captain of the Indian Men's cricket team. Kohli replaced MS Dhoni as
the captain of Indian team and became the most successful Test captain with
40 wins in 68 matches.
• India has improved its passport power ranking for the year 2022, climbing seven places to rank in 83rd place compared to the 90th position last year, according to the latest report from the Henley Passport Index.
15th January, Current Affairs:
• Indian Army Day is celebrated today.
• Philippines has approved a $374.96 million contract for the purchase of shore based anti-ship BrahMos supersonic cruise missile variant from India.
• Republic Day Celebrations will now begin every year from 23rd January instead of 24th. The step was taken to include the birth anniversary of freedom fighter Subash Chandra Bose.
• National Start-up Day will be celebrated every year on 16th January.
14th January, Current Affairs:
• Makar Sankranti, Bihu and Pongal
being celebrated today.
• 12 coaches of the Guwahati-Bikaner Express train derailed near the Maynaguri town of Jalpaiguri district in West Bengal. At least eight people have been killed and 45 injured.
13th January, Current Affairs:
• Eminent rocket scientist S Somanath
has been appointed the new chairman of the Indian Space Research
Organisation (ISRO) as well as the Space Secretary.
• Environment Minister Bhupender Yadav today released India State Of Forest Report 2021. In 2021, the total forest and tree cover in India is 80.9 million hectares. This is over 24.60 percent of the geographical area of the country.
• Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully conducted qualification tests of the Cryogenic Engine for Gaganyaan human space programme.
• The festival of harvest, Lohri, is being celebrated today in North India.
• American model Kylie Jenner has become the first woman in the world to reach 300 million followers on Instagram.
12th January, Current Affairs:
• National Youth Day is celebrated
• Fourteen-year-old Bharath Subramaniyam has become the73rd Grandmaster of India. The Chennai-based teenager completed his final GM Norm and crossed the requisite 2500 rating at Vergani Cup Open in Italy.
• Khelo India Youth Games Haryana 2021 scheduled to be held between February 5 and 14 this year has been postponed.
11th January, Current Affairs:
• India today successfully tested
advanced sea to sea variant of BrahMos Supersonic Cruise missile from INS
• Government has extended the deadline for filing income tax returns to March 15.
9th January, Current Affairs:
• Gurpurab is celebrated today to
commemorate birthday of Guru Gobind Singh, who is the tenth Guru of the
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced that 26th December will be marked as Veer Baal Diwas. Mr. Modi said it will be a fitting tribute to the courage of the Sahibzades, the sons of Guru Gobind Singh and their quest for justice.
• Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is celebarted today. It was on this day in 1915, Mahatma Gandhi, the greatest Pravasi Bharatiya, returned to India.
• Former RBI Governor Urjit Patel has been appointed as a vice-president of the Beijing-based multilateral funding institution AIIB (Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank).
8th January, Current Affairs:
• More than 150 crore 61 lakh COVID
vaccine doses have been administered in the country so far under Nationwide
• Election Commission today announced the Assembly polls schedule for Goa, Punjab, Manipur, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh. Polling will be held over seven phases starting in UP on February 10, with counting of votes scheduled for March 10.
6th January, Current Affairs:
• The Government approved the second
phase of the Green Energy Corridor with an outlay of ₹12,031 crore to
facilitate grid integration and power evacuation of about 20 GW of renewable
energy projects in seven states.
• Veteran Chinese diplomat, Zhang Ming, has taken over as the new secretary-general of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO).
5th January, Current Affairs:
• The Union Health Ministry confirmed
the first death linked to the highly transmissible variant of the
coronavirus, Omicron, in the country. A total of 2135 cases of Omicron have
been reported in the country so far.
• Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has announced the postponement of the Ranji Trophy, Col CK Nayudu Trophy and Senior Women's T20 League for the 2021-22 season in the wake of the rising Corona cases in the country.
3rd January, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi lays
foundation stone of Major Dhyan Chand Sports University at Meerut in Uttar
• COVID-19 vaccination for children in the age group of 15 to 18 years begins from today.
1st January, Current Affairs:
• At least 12 people were killed and 16
injured in a stampede at the Mata Vaishno Devi shrine in Jammu and Kashmir
triggered by a heavy rush of devotees on New Year's Day.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi today released the 10th instalment of financial benefit under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Scheme through video conferencing.
• Children between 15 and 18 years can register online on Cowin portal from today to receive Covaxin shots from Monday.
• India U-19 defeated Sri Lanka in the final by 9 wickets to win the Asian Cricket Council Under-19 Asia Cup title in Dubai.