Current Affairs, September 2018
Home⇒Current Affairs⇒Current Affairs, September-2018
30th September, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi
inaugurated the Conference on Academic Leadership on Education for
Resurgence at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
• Niwari will become the 52nd district of Madhya Pradesh and will effect from 1st October.
• India’s Deepika Kumari wins the bronze medal in the Archery World Cup Finals in Samsun.
• World's first Lion cubs Victor and Isabel conceived artificially in South Africa.
29th September, Current Affairs:
• The Indonesian city of Palu on
Sulawesi Island was hit by a major earthquake and tsunami, as the death toll
rose to 384 people.
• Parakram Parv is being celebrated across the country to celebrate the second anniversary of Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan.
• Publisher of The Hindu Group of Newspapers N. Ravi and Vijay Kumar Chopra, the chief editor of Punjab Kesari Group of newspapers, were unanimously elected Chairman and Vice Chairman of Press Trust of India (PTI).
• India defeat Bangladesh by three wickets in Dubai to win the Asia Cup 2018.
• The 2018-19 session of the Indian Super League Football tournaments starts from today.
28th September, Current Affairs:
• Supreme court today through a judgment ending a ban that prevented women and girls between 10 and 50 years from entering in Kerala's renowned Sabarimala temple.
27th September, Current Affairs:
• World Tourism Day is celebrated
• The UN Environment jointly awarded PM Narendra Modi and French President Emmanuel Macron in the Policy Leadership category for their efforts regarding the creation of the International Solar Alliance.
26th September, Current Affairs:
• The five-judge Constitution Bench
of the Supreme Court upheld most of the provisions of the Aadhaar Act by 4:1
majority while hearing the petitions challenging the constitutional validity
• The Supreme Court of India allowed live streaming and video recording of court proceedings across the country.
• The Real Madrid and Croatia midfielder Luka Modric is crowned as FIFA's best player of the year. France's World Cup-winning coach Didier Deschamps won the best coach of the year prize. Brazil's Marta was crowned best women's player for a record sixth time for her role in winning the Copa America.
25th September, Current Affairs:
• President Ram Nath Kovind on September 25, 2018 conferred the National Sports Awards 2018 at the Rashtrapati Bhawan in New Delhi.
24th September, Current Affairs:
• PM Narendra Modi inaugurated
Sikkim's first airport name Pakyong airport. This is also the 100th airport
in the country.
• Hyderabad Metro Rail has become the second largest metro rail network in the country after New Delhi after the opening of this 16 km stretch from the Ameerpet metro interchange station towards L.B.Nagar in the city suburb.
• Ibrahim Mohamed Solih elected as the next President of Maldives.
• Nepal becomes the first country in the world to double its tiger population as part of the World Wildlife Foundation's (WWF) 'Tx2' programme.
23rd September, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi
launched the world's largest government-funded healthcare programme - the
Ayushman Bharat in Ranchi, which would benefit 50 crore Indians. Under the
scheme, a health cover of Rs 5 lakh would be given to each beneficiary
family per year.
• Director Kalpana Lajmi passed away at the age of 64 in Mumbai.
22nd September, Current Affairs:
• National Award-winning Assamese film Village Rockstars is this year's official Oscar entry from India.
20th September, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Shinzo Abe won a
ruling party leadership vote, setting him on track to become Japan's
• The National Sports Awards 2018 were officialy announced. Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli and weightlifter Saikhom Mirabai Chanu will receive the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award- India's highest sports honour. 20 sports persons are named in the Arjuna Award including CWG and Asiad gold medalist javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra, Asiad double medalist sprinter Hima Das and Indian batswoman Smriti Mandhana. Dronacharya Award given to 8 Outstanding Coaches in Sports and Games this year.
• Jharkhand spinner Shahbaz Nadeem entered the record books after breaking a two-decade-old world record for best bowling figures in List A cricket, with an astonishing haul of 8/10 against Rajasthan in the Vijay Hazare Trophy. The previous best bowling effort was also in the name of an Indian in Delhi left-arm spinner Rahul Sanghvi, who achieved figures of 8/15 against Himachal Pradesh in a match in the 1997-98 seasons.
• Belgium and France become first joint leaders in FIFA Rankings history.
18th September, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi and
his Bangladeshi counterpart Sheikh Hasina jointly inaugurated the
construction of a friendship pipeline project through video conferencing.
The 130-kilometre India-Bangladesh Friendship Pipeline Project will connect
Siliguri in West Bengal in India and Parbatipur in Dinajpur district of
• The 70th Primetime Emmy Awards were announced at the Microsoft Theater, Los Angeles, California, United States. Amazon’s The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel became the first streaming series to win top Emmy comedy honors. HBO’s Game of Thrones wins the award for Outstanding Drama Series.
17th September, Current Affairs:
• As announced by Union Government,
three state-run banks of India - Dena Bank, Vijaya Bank and Bank of Baroda
will be merged to create the third-largest bank in the country.
• The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully launched its polar satellite launch vehicle (PSLV) C42 carrying two earth observation satellites for the United Kingdom.
16th September, Current Affairs:
• Eliud Kipchoge of Kenya set a new
marathon world record in Berlin after smashing the previous best as he
clocked 2hr 1min 40sec.
• Japan's Kento Momota defeated Khosit Phetpradab 21-14, 21-11 in the final to capture the Japan Open badminton title. Carolina Marin retained her Japan Open women's singles title by beating Nozomi Okuhara 21-19, 17-21, 21-11.
14th September, Current Affairs:
• National Hindi Divas (Hindi Day) observed across India to promote Hindi as Matra Bhasha (mother tongue) of India.
13th September, Current Affairs:
• The President has appointed Justice Ranjan Gogoi as the 46th Chief Justice of India. Justice Gogoi will assume office from October 3. He is the first Chief Justice of India from Assam.
11th September, Current Affairs:
• Over 50 people, including four
children have died in a bus accident in Telangana's Jagtiyal district.
• Samsung India opens world's largest mobile experience centre in Bengaluru.
• Light Combat Aircraft Tejas successfully completes first-ever aerial refuelling trail.
• India lost the five matches Test series against England by 4-1.
10th September, Current Affairs:
• Novak Djokovic beat Juan Martin del
Potro in the US Open final by 6-3 7-6 (7-4) 6-3 and win his 14th Grand Slam
• Alastair Cook becomes the fifth player to score centuries in both the debut and final Tests, after Australians Reggie Duff, Bill Ponsford, Greg Chappell and India's Mohammed Azharuddin. He scored a century in the second innings in his final Test against India. Cook’s Test career began with a fifty in the first innings followed by a century at Nagpur in 2006, also against India.
9th September, Current Affairs:
• Naomi Osaka became the first Japanese to win a Grand Slam singles title after defeating Serena Williams by 6-2, 6-4 in the US Open final.
8th September, Current Affairs:
• The 52nd International Literacy Day
is celebrated today across the World.
• Alibaba’s co-founder and executive chairman Jack Ma retire from the e-commerce company.
7th September, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi
inaugurates India's first Global Mobility Summit "MOVE" in New Delhi.
• India's Hriday Hazarika won gold in men's 10m air rifle at the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Championships.
5th September, Current Affairs:
• Teachers' Day is celebrated today in
the memory of Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan and to honor the contribution
made by teachers to the society.
• International Day of Charity 2018 observed globally.
• Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf's (PTI) candidate Arif Alvi elected as the President of Pakistan.
2nd September, Current Affairs:
• Krishna Janmashtami is celebrated
today in India.
• The 18th Asian Games ended with a closing glittering ceremony in Jakarta. China topped the medals table with 132 Golds. India ended their Asian Games campaign with a total of 69 medals, including 15 gold, 24 silver and 30 bronze medals.
• Women's hockey team captain Rani Rampal has been named India's flag-bearer for the closing ceremony of the Asian Games 2018.
1st September, Current Affairs:
• Justice Ranjan Gogoi appointed as
the next Chief Justice of India. He will take charge as the next Chief
Justice of India on October 3.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the India Post Payments Bank or IPPB in New Delhi which is the largest payments bank in the country by network size.