Uttarakhand is a state located in the northern part of India, on the foothills of the Himalayan mountain range. It is the twentieth largest state in terms of area and the thirteenth most populous state. The capital of Uttarakhand is Dehradun, which is also its largest city. The state was carved out of Uttar Pradesh in the year 2000. Uttarakhand is known for its natural beauty, with the state being home to many important pilgrimage sites and tourist destinations, such as the Char Dham (Yamunotri, Gangotri, Kedarnath, and Badrinath), and the Valley of Flowers National Park. The state is also known for its adventure sports and trekking destinations such as the Nanda Devi and Kedarnath peaks.
Uttarakhand is also known for its rich cultural heritage, reflected in its music, dance, and festivals. The state is also known for its contribution to the Indian freedom struggle, with notable figures such as Mahatma Gandhi and Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel having visited the state. Uttarakhand is bordered by the Indian states of Himachal Pradesh to the north and Uttar Pradesh to the south, and the country of Nepal to the east. The state has its own language known as Garhwali and Kumaoni, which is spoken by majority of its population.
Below are some important points to remember about Uttarakhand:
• Uttarakhand is located on the northern part of India on the foothills of the Himalayan mountain ranges.
• It is a hilly state which was formed on the 9th November 2000 as the 27th State of India.
• The state share its boundaries with China (Tibet) in the north and Nepal in the east, Uttar Pradesh on south and Himachal Pradesh on north-west.
• The state is divided into two divisions, Garhwal and Kumaon. Uttarakhand have a total of 13 districts.
• Total area in the state is 53, 484 square km.
• Dehradun is the capital city of the state which is also the largest city of Uttarakhand.
• According to 2011 census, population in the state is 10,116,752.
• Population density in the state is 189 per square km.
• 79.63 % percent of the total population is literate.
• The state is also having some of the famous hill stations in India. Almora, Corbett National Park, Dehradun, Haridwar, Mussoorie, Nainital, Rishikesh etc are the main tourist attraction place in the state.
• The economy of the state is mainly depends on agriculture, tourism and hydropower.
• One of the major Hindu pilgrimages, Kumbh Mela, takes place in Uttarakhand.
|Song||Uttarakhand Devabhumi Matribhumi|
|Animal||Alpine musk deer|