Current Affairs, March 2015
• India's highest civilian award Bharat Ratna conferred posthumously upon educationist Madan Mohan Malviya at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
• Australia wins the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup after defeating New Zealand by 7 wickets in MCG. Mitchell Starc named as player of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015.
• Delhi's Aditi Arya was crowned as Femina Miss India World 2015 at Yashraj Studios in Mumbai.
• Peoples of Singapore bid final farewell to founding father Lee Kuan Yew.
• Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel won the Malaysian Grand Prix.
• Saina Nehwal wins her maiden India Open Super Series title after after defeating Ratchanok Intanon 21-16 21-14 at the Siri Sports Complex here.
• Kidambi Srikanth wins the men's singles title at the India Open Super Series after defeating Denmark's Viktor Axelsen 18-21, 21-13, 21-12.
• The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) sacked founder members Yogendra Yadav and Prashant Bhushan from a key panel.
• Saina Nehwal became the first Indian woman shuttler to attain the world number one ranking.
• India today launched its fourth GPS satellite IRNSS-1D from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota.
• Mizoram Governor Aziz Qureshi sacked from his post. Governor of West Bengal Keshari Nath Tripathi will take the additional charge of Mizoram.
• The Earth Hour 2015 will be observed today when people across the globe will flick their lights off when clocks hit 8:30pm across 24 different time zones.
• Former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee receives India's highest civilian honour Bharat Ratna.
• Defending Champion India defeated by Australia in the Semi Final by 95 runs. Now Australia will play with New Zealand in the final in MCG.
• Former Footballer Michel Platini re-elected as the President of UEFA for the third time.
• The Supreme Court has scrapped Section 66(A) of the Information Technology Act, a law that was seen as a major infringement of the freedom of speech online because it allowed the arrest of a person for posting "offensive" content.
• Kangana Ranaut wins the best actress National Award for the film Queen. Kannada actor Vijay won Best Actor for Nanu Avanalla Avalu.Queen also won Best Hindi Film.
• A Lufthansa Airbus crashed in a remote snowy area of the French Alps and all 150 on board were feared dead.
• New Zealand reaches the final of ICC Cricket World Cup 2015.
• The World TB Day is celebrated today.
• Veteran actor Shashi Kapoor will be conferred the Dada Saheb Phalke award this year for his contribution to Indian cinema.
• Singapore's founding father Lee Kuan Yew dies at the age of 91.
• Martin Guptill of New Zealand scores 237 not out against West Indies which is the highest individual score in World Cup history.
• 32 died and 50 people injured as Dehradun-Varanasi Janta Express derailed in Uttar Pradesh's Rae Bareli district.
• India-born scientist and Nobel Laureate Dr. Venkatraman Ramakrishnan will take over as the President of the prestigious Royal Society at the end of the year.
• Rajya Sabha passed the Coal Mines (Special Provisions) Bill 2015.
• India enters the semi final of 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup after defeating 109 runs in MCG.
• Mahendra Singh Dhoni becomes the first Indian ODI captain and third in the World to wins 100 one-day international.
• World's only 'no-fuel' solar-powered aircraft 'Solar Impulse-2' off for Varanasi from Ahmedabad.
• Gunmen attacked Tunisia's national museum, killing at least seven tourists and taking others hostage inside the building.
• The Union cabinet has cleared the black money bill, which proposes to provide muscle to tax authorities dealing with illegal wealth stashed abroad.
• According to Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), India is the largest importer of arms with 15 per cent of global weapons imports between 2010 and 2014.
• Services wins the Santosh Trophy after beating hosts Punjab 5-4 via tie-breaker in Ludhiana.
• Former Maldives president and opposition leader Mohamed Nasheed has been sentenced to 13 years in prison on a terrorism charge.
• Twelve people were killed and 19 others injured when a bus fell into a deep gorge in Nagaland's Phek District.
• The Haryana Government has imposed a complete ban on the sale of beef.
• British Prime Minister David Cameron and Finance Minister Arun Jaitley jointly unveiled bronze statue of Mahatma Gandhi at the Parliament Square in London.
• Karnataka team wins the Ranji Trophy final by registering an innings and 217 run-win against Tamil Nadu in the final at Wankhede Stadium.
• CBI court summoned former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh over accusations of criminal conspiracy and corruption in the illegal award of a coal field.
• Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar won trust vote in Bihar Assembly with 140 votes in his favour.
• Sri Lankan batsman Kumar Sangakkara creates a new record by scoring four consecutive centuries in a Cricket World Cup.
• The Land Acquisition Bill passed in the Lok Sabha by voting after government proposed nine amendments.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi sets on a five-day tour of Seychelles, Mauritius and Sri Lanka from today.
• Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni registered most wins by an Indian captain in the history of the cricket World Cup after defeating Ireland in Hamilton.
• After a gap of over 20 years, 1 rupee note re-launched today.
• International Women's Day is celebrated across the globe.
• Senior journalist and author Vinod Mehta died of multiple organ failure in AIIMS at the age of 73.
• Arun Singh has been appointed as India's ambassador to the US who will succeed S Jaishankar.
• Saina Nehwal defeated by Carolina Marin of Spain in All England badminton title final in Birmingham by 21-16, 14-21 and 7-21.
• Former Bihar Chief Minister Ram Sundar Das passes away in Patna at the age of 95.
• Holi is celebrated across the nation.
• According to Forbes, the founder of Sun Pharma Dilip Shanghvi becomes the India's richest billionaire ahead of Mukesh Ambani.
• Lok Sabha passed Insurance Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2015.
• The Aam Aadmi Party dropped two founder members, Yogendra Yadav and Prashant Bhushan from its decision-making panel.
• Lok Sabha passed the Coal Mines bill to allow e-auction of coal blocks.
• Reserve Bank of India lowered the repo rate by 25 basis points to 7.5 per cent.
• President Pranab Mukherjee has given formal consent to the Maharashtra Animal Preservation (Amendment) Bill which bans the slaughter of calves and bullocks completely.
• Jagmohan Dalmiya elected as the President of BCCI.
• Chelsea wins the League Cup at Wembley Stadium following a 2-0 victory over Tottenham.
• Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) leader Mufti Mohammad Sayeed takes oath as Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister.