Current Affairs, March 2019
31st March, Current Affairs:
• Viktor Axelsen eased clinch the India
Open 2019 men's singles title in New Delhi after he defeated Kidmabi
Srikanth by 21-7, 22-20. In the women's singles final Ratchanok Intanon won
the title as she defeated He Bingjiao 21-15, 21-14.
• In Slovakia, Zuzana Caputova is set to become the first female President.
• South Korea defeated India 4-2 in the penalty shootout to lift the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup hockey title.
27th March, Current Affairs:
• Defence Research and Development
Organisation, DRDO, on Wednesday successfully conducted an Anti-Satellite
(A-SAT) missile test, under Mission Shakti from Dr A P J Abdul Kalam Island
in Odisha. Mission Shakti is an anti-satellite missile test, under which, an
Anti-Satellite (ASAT) missile shot down the Low Earth Orbit satellite
"within three minutes of launch". India is the fourth country to have tested
an anti-satellite weapon after the US, Russia and China.
• All eight members of the Lokpal were administered the oath of office by the Chairperson of the anti-corruption ombudsman Justice Pinaki Chandra Ghose.
26th March, Current Affairs:
• President Ram Nath Kovind has been awarded the Grand Order of King Tomislav with Sash and Grand Star by the President of Croatia for his exceptional contribution to the advancement of overall relations and development of mutual cooperation between India and Croatia and for promoting friendship and partnership between the people of both the countries. This is the highest award of the Republic of Croatia.
25th March, Current Affairs:
• Jet Airways founder Naresh Goyal and
his wife Anita Goyal resigned from the board of the airline they founded 25
• Indian Air Force (IAF) today formally inducted the four heavy-lift Chinook helicopters.
• President Ram Nath Kovind has left on a three-nation visit to Croatia, Bolivia and Chile.
24th March, Current Affairs:
• The 64th Filmfare Awards held yesterday. Raazi wins the Best Film award, while Alia Bhatt wins Best Actor in a Leading Role (Female) award. Ranbir Kapoor wins the Best Actor in a Leading Role (Male) award for the movie Sanju.
23rd March, Current Affairs:
• President Ram Nath Kovind administered
the oath of office to the former Supreme Court judge Pinaki Chandra Ghose as
• Vice Admiral Karambir Singh has been appointed as the next Navy Chief. He will succeed Admiral Sunil Lanba who retires on 31st of May this year.
• Indian Premier League (IPL) 2019 begins from today.
21st March, Current Affairs:
• The festival of colours Holi is being
celebrated across the country today.
• Former Supreme Court judge Justice Pinaki Chandra Ghose appointed as the India’s first Lokpal.
• India returned with 368 medals, including 85 gold, at the Special Olympics World Summer Games, held at Abu Dhabi, UAE which concluded today.
20th March, Current Affairs:
• The Gauhati High Court has declared the
strikes and road or rail blockades as illegal in Assam and directed the
police to lodge FIRs against organisations who call for bandh.
• Kazakhstan's parliament voted to rename the country's capital Astana as Nursultan in honour of long time ruler Nursultan Nazarbayev.
• Indian-origin Jagmeet Singh has created history in Canada when he made his debut in the House of Commons as the first non-white leader of a major opposition party in the country.
• Today is observed as World Sparrow Day to raise awareness about the bird.
18th March, Current Affairs:
• BJP's Pramod Sawant elected as the new
Chief Minister of Goa.
• The Election Commission issued a notification for the first phase of Lok Sabha polls.
17th March, Current Affairs:
• Goa Chief Minister and Former Defence
Minister of India, Manohar Parrikar dies after long illness. He was
diagnosed with a pancreatic ailment. He was 63 years old.
• Bengaluru FC wins the Indian Super League (ISL) 2019 after defeating Goa by 1-0 in the final.
16th March, Current Affairs:
• India will host the Under-17 Women's Football World Cup in 2020.
15th March, Current Affairs:
• Forty-nine people are dead and many are
seriously injured after a heavily armed gunman opened fire during prayers at
a mosque in the center of Christchurch, New Zealand.
• The 2019 Special Olympics World Summer Games starts in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
• The Supreme Court revoked the life ban on former Indian cricketer S. Sreesanth in a case of spot-fixing.
14th March, Current Affairs:
• World Kidney Day being observed today.
The day is observed annually on the second Thursday in March to create
awareness on the importance of kidneys and reducing the frequency and impact
of kidney diseases.
• The Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO)-developed Man Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile was successfully fired in the desert ranges of Rajasthan.
13th March, Current Affairs:
• British Parliament will vote on a new
motion today to decide if the UK should leave the EU within the March 29
deadline without any deal in place.
• Former IAS officer C Lalsawta sworn-in as Mizoram's first Lokayukta chairman.
• Zinedine Zidane has been re-appointed as the coach of Spanish football club Real Madrid till 2022.
• Rohit Sharma becomes the third fastest batsman, along with Sourav Ganguly, to reach 8000 ODI runs in cricket.
• Australia defeated India by 3-2 in the five matches ODI series in India.
11th March, Current Affairs:
• President Ram Nath Kovind conferred the
Padma awards on prominent personalities at a civil investiture ceremony in
• Kavinder Singh Bisht in the 56kg-category struck gold while four others claimed silver medals to end Indian campaign at the 38th GeeBee Boxing Tournament in Helsinki, Finland.
10th March, Current Affairs:
• The national election will be held in
seven rounds from 11 April and the results will be announced on May 23.
Voting will be held across India on April 11, April 19, April 23, April 29,
May 6, May 12 and May 19.
• Ethiopian airlines plane bound for Nairobi crashed today, killing all 157 people on board.
8th March, Current Affairs:
• The Supreme Court on Friday referred
Ayodhya's Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid land dispute case to mediation for
amicable settlement. Former apex court judge Justice (retd) F M Kallifulla
will head a panel of mediators in the case. Other members of the panel of
mediators include spiritual guru Shri Shri Ravi Shankar and senior advocate
• Governor of Mizoram Kummanam Rajasekharan has resigned from his post.
• President Ram Nath Kovind presented the Nari Shakti awards, 2018, the highest civilian honour for women in India, in New Delhi on the occasion of International Women's Day.
• Dr. Ausaf Sayeed, presently High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Seychelles, has been appointed as the next ambassador of India to Saudi Arabia.
6th March, Current Affairs:
• Indore has bagged the cleanest city
award for third straight year under Swachh Survekshan, 2019.
• Israel's first lunar lander sent back a selfie taken with the Earth clearly visible in the background. It marks an important milestone for the mission as it is the first in-space selfie.
5th March, Current Affairs:
• Delhi has been ranked the most polluted
capital in the world, while Gurugram is the most polluted city, according to
a Greenpeace report.
• Virat Kohli broke former Australian skipper Ricky Ponting's record to become the fastest to score 9,000 international runs as a captain. The Indian skipper achieved the milestone when he reached 22 runs against Australia during the second One-day International (ODI) in Nagpur. Virat Kohli reached the 9,000-run mark as a skipper in 159 innings while Ponting took 203 innings to reach the same figure.
2nd March, Current Affairs:
• DRDO Chairman G Satheesh Reddy has been honoured with the prestigious Missile Systems Award by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) for his excellence in the field of missile systems technology.
1st March, Current Affairs:
• Foreign Minister Sushma Swaraj attends
the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation or OIC meeting. India for the first
time addressed the OIC meeting in Abu Dhabi.
• Indian Air Force (IAF) pilot Abhinandan Varthaman who was captured by Pakistan after an air encounter between the countries on Wednesday, returned to India.