Current Affairs, May 2014
• PM Narendra Modi issued an order to abolishing all Groups of Ministers (GOMs) and Empowered Groups of Ministers (EGOMs) set up during the UPA regime.
• Hockey World Cup starts in Netherland.
• Ajit Kumar Doval appointed as National Security Advisor.
• The inaugural session of 16th Lok Sabha will be commencing from June 4 to 11.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi has resigned from his Vadodara seat and will be a member of Parliament from Varanasi.
• Former Egyptian army chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi wins in the presidential election.
• Senior Supreme Court advocate Mukul Rohatgi has been appointed the new Attorney General of India.
• Infosys President BG Srinivas Resigns from his post.
• Union Cabinet issue an ordinance allowing former Telecom Regulatory Authority (TRAI) chairman Nripendra Mishra to take over as Principal Secretary to the new Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
• Kolkata Knight Riders reach into the final of the Indian Premier League 7 after defeating Kings XI Punjab by 28 run.
• Union Cabinet formed a Special Investigation Team in black money case to be headed by former Supreme Court judge MB Shah.
• Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif talked on different issues at a meeting today.
• Narendra Modi sworn in as the 15th Prime Minister of India. A 45-member council of ministers also took oath. Get the full list here.
• Real Madrid defeated Atletico Madrid by 4-1 at Lisbon to win their 10th UEFA Champions League title.
• China wins Uber Cup for 13th time after defeating Japan by 3-1 in New Delhi. India wins Bronze in the competition.
• Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif will attend the inauguration of Narendra Modi as prime minister on 26th May.
• Congress Members of Parliament from both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha elected Sonia Gandhi as the chairperson of the Congress Parliamentary Party.
• Shazia Ilmi, a founder member and Captain GR Gopinath resign from Aam Aadmi Party.
• Hindustan Motors Ltd has suspended production of the Ambassador as it shut down its factory at Uttarpara in West Bengal state due to lack of demand.
• Yusuf Pathan score the fastest half century in IPL history with 15 balls against Sunriser Hyderabad.
• Militants attack on the Indian consulate in Afghanistan's western city of Herat.
• Bihar Chief Minister Jitan Ram Manjhi wins the trust vote in the Bihar Assembly.
• Former Indian test player Madhav Mantri passed away at the age of 92.
• Anandiben Patel took oath as Gujrat's first Women Chief Minister.
• Thailand's army chief seized power in a military coup, deposing the elected government after months of deadly political strife.
• Flipkart, India's largest online e-commerce company acquired online fashion portal Myntra.com in Rs.2000 cr e-commerce deal.
• Former Intelligence Bureau chief Rajiv Mathur took over as the new chief information commissioner in the Central Information Commission.
• Narendra Modi resigned as Gujarat chief minister today after 13 years in office.
• Anandiben Patel appointed as the new CM of Gujrat and she will be Gujarat's first woman chief minister.
• BJD president Naveen Patnaik has been sworn in as Odisha chief minister for the fourth straight term in Bhubaneswar.
• Pawan Chamling sworn in as Sikkim Chief Minister for the record fifth consecutive time.
• Narendra Modi to Be Sworn In As India's 15th Prime Minister on May 26, 2014.
• Narendra Modi elected as the leader of the BJP Parliamentary party.
• Jitan Ram Manjhi was sworn in as new Bihar Chief Minister by the Governor D Y Patil.
• Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav sacked 36 party leaders who had been appointed as ministers of state in the state government after party's poor result in recent Lok Sabha election in UP.
• Government has lift ban on SMS service in prepaid cellphones after four years in Jammu and Kashmir.
• CBSE Class 10 Results Declared which recorded a pass percentage of 98.87.
• 17 died as a bus travelling from Jammu to Srinagar plunged into a 400-feet deep gorge.
• Jitan Ram Manjhi selected as the next CM of Bihar after the resignation of Nitish Kumar.
• Nabam Tuki was sworn-in as the eighth Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh for the second consecutive term.
• Dutchman Louis van Gaal was named as Manchester United's new manager, with Ryan Giggs as his assistant.
• President Pranab Mukherjee dissolved the 15th Lok Sabha with immediate effect, completing a formality before the constitution of the new House.
• Atletico Madrid wins the first La Liga title after 18 years.
• Manmohan Singh resigned from the post of Prime Minister after the loss of UPA in 16th Lok Sabha election.
• Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar resigned from the post after defeat in the Lok Sabha election.
• BJP lead UPA wins the 16th Lok Sabha with 339 seats. Congress lead UPA gets 57 seats.
• BJP alone wins 285 seats and becoming the first single party to get absolute majority after 30years.
• Former Zimbabwe batsman Grant Flower has been named as the batting coach of Pakistan cricket team for two years.
• Inflation down to 5.2 per cent in the month of April.
• More than 200 workers died in a coal mine explosion and fire in western Turkey.
• The BSE Sensex crosses record all time high of 24,000 points.
• UPA government appointed Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag as India's next Army Chief to succeed General Bikram Singh who retires on July 31.
• Union Cabinet cleared the $400-million foreign investment proposals by a global buyout fund KKR in pharma sector.
• President of India passed the Whistleblower Protection bill.
• The Nine and the final phase of voting for the Lok Sabha polls 2014 held today.
• India has set a new record for voter turnout at 66.38 per cent for the general elections 2014.
• Manchester City football team crowned as EPL champions after defeating West Ham 2-0 in the final match.
• Mother's Day celebrated across the world.
• Seven policemen were killed and two others injured when Naxals carried out a landmine blast in Maharashtra's Gadchiroli district.
• Campaigning for the 16th Lok Sabha election ended today evening.
• The Supreme Court prohibited use of bulls in south India’s ‘Jallikattu’ festivals, mainly observed in Tamil Nadu as a bullfighting game.
• In a directive by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), minors above the age of 10 years are allowed to open and operate savings bank accounts independently.
• President Pranab Mukherjee launched India's own payment gateway 'RuPay', equivalent of Visa and Mastercard, which will work on ATMs and mechant outlets and help in reducing cash transactions.
• World Health Organisation (WHO) in a study of 1600 cities ranks New Delhi as the world's worst city for air pollution.
• Eight phase of Lok Sabha election held in 64 constituencies in seven states.
• CBI Gives Clean Chit to Narendra Modi Aide Amit Shah in Ishrat Jahan Case.
• Mark Selby of England won World Snooker Championship title 2014 on in Sheffield, England.
• BCCI Suspends Rajasthan Cricket Association After Lalit Modi Elected as the President of RCA.
• 18 killed, more than 100 injured as Diva-Sawantwadi passenger train derails in Raigad in Maharashtra
• India successfully test fires Astra air-to-air missile from a SU-30 combat aircraft.
• Kedarnath temple reopens today to devotees after about a year when the shrine was marred by flash floods that had left hundreds of people dead.
• More than 2000 dead in a landslide at the Argo district in Badakhshan province, Afghanistan.
• Former world double sprint champion Tyson Gay has been suspended for one year after testing positive in 2013 for a banned anabolic steroid by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).
• At least 30 people killed by militants in Bodoland Territorial Autonomous Districts (BTAD), Assam.
• May Day (International Workers' Day) celebrated across the World.
• One Killed and 14 other injured in a twin blast in Bangalore-Guwahati Express Train at Chennai Central Railway Station.
• Atletico Madrid reaches the final of Champions League to play against Real Madrid after defeating Chelsea in semi final.