Current Affairs, May 2016
Home⇒Current Affairs⇒Current Affairs, May-2016
31st May, Current Affairs:
• The GDp growth for the March quarter increase to 7.9 per cent against
the 7.2 per cent in December 2015.
• 16 people including two Army officers and a jawan killed in a massive fire at a military ammunition depot in Pulgaon in Maharashtra.
• Indian music composer AR Rahman conferred with the Japan's Fukuoka prize 2016 for his outstanding contribution toward music.
• World No Tobacco Day observed today.
30th May, Current Affairs:
• England batsman Alastair Cook broke Sachin Tendulkar's record as he became the youngest batsman to score 10,000 runs in Tests. He achieved the record at 31 years and 158 days on the fourth day of the second Test against Sri Lanka in Durham. Cook also became the first England player to reach the landmark of 10,000 runs.
29th May, Current Affairs:
• The trial run of Spanish faster train Talgo conducted between Bareilly
and Moradabad in Uttar Pradesh. The vehicle can speed up to 115 km per hour.
• Real Madrid wins the Champions Trophy for 11th time with a 5-3 penalties victory over Atletico Madrid, after a 1-1 draw in the Champions League.
• Sunrisers Hyderbad beat Royal Challengers Bangalore by eight runs to win the 9th Indian Premier League.
28th May, Current Affairs:
• For the first time in history, the Election Commission cancel polls of
two assembly constituencies in Tamil Nadu because of inducing electors by
candidates and political parties by offering money. This two consituencies
are Aravakurichi and Thanjavur.
• Congress party elected V Narayanaswamy as the Chief Minister of Puducherry.
• CBSE Class 10 results of 2016 declared today.
• Spiritual leader and Isha Foundation founder Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev will lead a yoga session at the UN on the occasion of the second International Yoga Day next month.
27th May, Current Affairs:
• Mamata Banerjee sworn in as chief minister of West Bengal for a second term.
26th May, Current Affairs:
• Jose Mourinho appointed as the manager of Manchester United. He will replace Louis van Gaal.
25th May, Current Affairs:
• Union Government approved 6 new IITs. This six new IITs will come up at
Tirupati, Palakkad, Dharwar, Bhilai, Goa and Jammu while ISM Dhanbad will
also be upgraded to an IIT.
• President Pranab Mukherjee arrives in China on four day official visit.
• Pinarayi Vijayan took oath as the Chief Minister of Kerala.
24th May, Current Affairs:
• Sarbananda Sonowal took oath as Chief Minister of Assam in Guwahati.
• President Pranab Mukherjee has signed an ordinance to keep state educational boards out of the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) for medical and dental courses in 2016.
23rd May, Current Affairs:
• J Jayalalithaa took oath for the sixth time as the Chief Minister of
• India today successfully tested its first-ever indigenous space shuttle as its scale model RLV-TD (Re-Usable Launch Vehicle - Technology Demonstrator) from Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
• India, Iran and Afghanistan sign historic accord on Chahbahar port which will turn the Chabahar port into a transit hub bypassing Pakistan.
• FC Barcelona defeat Sevilla by 2-0 in the final to win 28th Copa Del Rey Title.
• Pankaj Advani created history as he became the first cueist to hold both world and continental titles in six-red snooker at the same time after winning the Asian Six-Red Snooker Title.
• Mohun Bagan wins the Federation Cup title for the 14th time after defeating Aizawl FC by 5-0.
22nd May, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in Iran on a two-day official
• Former IPS officer Kiran Bedi has been appointed as the Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry.
• 6 Assam Rifles personnel including an officer killed in an encounter with Terrorists in Manipur.
• Anurag Thakur elected as the new president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India. He is the youngest one to hold the position.
21st May, Current Affairs:
• Buddha Purnima is being celebrated today.
• Class XII board examinations announced today by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) results. Delhi's Sukriti Gupta becomes the national topper with 497 out of 500 marks.
• Near about 4.11 lakh people were affected in Andhra Pradesh by cyclone 'Roanu'.
• Five-time world champion MC Mary Kom failed to qualify for the Rio Olympics after losing in second round of the AIBA World Women's Boxing Championships in Astana.
20th May, Current Affairs:
• Tsai Ing-wen sworn in as first female president of Taiwan.
19th May, Current Affairs:
• In Assam, BJP alliance wins the assembly election with 87 seats out of
the 126 seats.
• In West Bengal, Mamata Banerjee lead Trinamool Congress wins the assembly election with 211 seats.
• Rulling party AIADMK wins the Tamil Nadu assembly election with 134 seats.
• In Kerala, LDF wins the assembly election with 91 seats.
18th May, Current Affairs:
• Punjab National Bank (PNB) posted a record loss of Rs 5,367 crore for
the March quarter which is biggest ever loss in Banking history.
• India successfully test fired indigenously developed Prithvi-II missile from the Chandipur.
• World's largest single solar power plant rooftop of 11.5 Mw capacity has been inaugurated in Beas near Amritsar in Punjab.
17th May, Current Affairs:
• South Korean writer Han Kang wins 2016 Man Booker International Prize for the novel 'The Vegetarian'.
16th May, Current Affairs:
• Voting for assembly election held today in Kerala, Tamil Nadu and
• India successfully test fired an indigenously developed Advanced Air Defence interceptor missile, Ashwin from Abdul Kalam Island off Odisha coast.
• Former ISRO Chairman UR Rao becomes the first Indian to be given "Hall of Fame" award by the International Astronautical Federation (IAF).
• India's oldest living Test Cricketer Deepak Shodhan died today at the age of 87. He was the first Indian to score a century in first Test innings.
• Barcelona wins the La Liga Championship.
15th May, Current Affairs:
• Max Verstappen became the youngest driver in F1 history to win a grand prix after winning the Spanish Grand Prix at the age of 18.
14th May, Current Affairs:
• FIFA (International Federation of Association Football) appointed Senegalese UN diplomat Fatma Samba Diouf Samoura as its first female Secretary General (SG).
13th May, Current Affairs:
• India has announced new intellectual property policy to speed up the
online registration of patents and trademarks.
• Maharashtra Government declared drought in over 29000 villages of the state.
12th May, Current Affairs:
• According to the report released by WHO, four Indian cities Gwalior, Allahabad, Patna and Raipur topped in the list of most populated cities after Zabol in Iran.
11th May, Current Affairs:
• National Technology Day celebrated today across India.
• Congress party wins the trust vote in the Uttarakhand State Assembly.
10th May, Current Affairs:
• Shashank Manohar resigns from the post of president of the Board of
Control for Cricket in India.
• Supreme Court allowed diesel taxis with All India Tourist permit to operate in Delhi and NCR till their permit expires. However, the banned on new registration of diesel cabs in NCR still continues.
• Delhi girl Tina Dabi has topped this year's Union Public Service Commission exam.
9th May, Current Affairs:
• Michel Platini resigned from his position as head of European soccer after his bid to overturn a long suspension for unethical behavior was rejected.
8th May, Current Affairs:
• Mother's Day is celebrated today.
• Telecom Ministry approved the provision of a single number '112' from January 1 next year to help people reach immediate services of police, ambulance and fire department.
• Virat Kohli became the first captain to score two hundreds in one edition of Indian Premier League.
7th May, Current Affairs:
• The government had earned Rs 7.42 lakh crore as direct taxes in 2015-16
of which Maharashtra and Delhi pay 53%.
• Taoiseach Enda Kenny was re-elected as Prime Minister of Ireland.
6th May, Current Affairs:
• Vice Admiral Sunil Lanba, the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief
(FOC-in-C) of the Mumbai-based Western Naval Command, has been appointed as
the new Navy chief. He will take charge on 31st May.
• Britain's Labour Party candidate Sadiq Khan became London's first Muslim mayor after elected by voting.
4th May, Current Affairs:
• Supreme Court told tobacco companies to adhere to the new rule which require health warnings to cover 85 per cent of a cigarette pack's surface. The new rule was introduced from last April 1.
3rd May, Current Affairs:
• Leicester City has won the English Premier League for the first time in
the club's 132-year history.
• Businessman Vijay Mallya resigns from the Rajya Sabha MP post.
• World Press Freedom Day is observed today.
• Sachin Tendulkar joins Abhinav Bindra and Salman Khan as India's goodwill ambassador for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
1st May, Current Affairs:
• Labour Day is celebrated across India and different parts of World.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi launch Ujjwala Yojana scheme to provide 5 crore free cooking gas connections to Below Poverty Line (BPL) families within next 3 years.