Current Affairs, May 2017
31st May, Current Affairs:
• World No Tobacco Day observed globally today.
• The GDP growth for the January-March period is 6.1 per cent which is lowest in more than 2 years.
• Civil Services Examination results declared by public service recruiter Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). Nandini KR from Karnataka have topped the UPSC examination.
29th May, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi is on a four nation visit. After the first
stop over at Germany, Prime Minister will meet the top leadership of Spain,
Russia and France.
• South African batsman Hashim Amla has break Virat Kohli's record as the fastest to reach 7,000 ODI runs in the course of the third and final ODI against England at Lord's. He reach the landmark in 150 innings.
• Arsenal wins the FA Cup after defeating Chelsea by 2-1.
28th May, Current Affairs:
• CBSE 12th results 2017 were declared today. Raksha Gopal of Amity
International School, Noida emerged the board topper with 99.6 percent marks
in her CBSE 12th exams.
• Barcelona beat Alaves 3-1 in the final to win the Copa del Rey title.
26th May, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates the Dhola-Sadiya bridge in
Assam. The bridge is the longest bridge in India with 9.15 Km. It is built
over the river Lohit, a tributary of Brahmaputra river. The bridge is named
after noted Assamese singer and writer Dr. Bhupen Hazarika.
• Former Director General of Police in Punjab, KPS Gill died at the age of 82 in Delhi. He was instrumental in rooting out Sikh militancy from Punjab.
• Mancheaster United beat Ajax to win the 2016-17 UEFA Europa League title.
24th May, Current Affairs:
• Nepal Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal 'Prachanda' resigned from his
• Ravichandran Ashwin wins International Cricketer of the Year Award at the CEAT Cricket Rating (CCR) International awards 2017.
23rd May, Current Affairs:
• At least 22 people killed in a bomb blast by terrorist in Manchester
Arena concert in UK.
• Hollywood actor Sir Roger Moore, star of seven James Bond films, died in Switzerland at the age of 89.
• The world's first operational robot police officer officially inducted into the Dubai police force.
• Real Madrid has won the Spanish La Liga trophy.
• English football club Chelsea wins the 2016-17 Premier League title.
22nd May, Current Affairs:
• Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu inaugurates high speed Tejas Express
train between Mumbai and Goa.
• Bangalore FC wins the Federation Cup after defeating Mohun Bagan in the final in Cuttack.
21st May, Current Affairs:
• The 26th death anniversary of Former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi
• India’s Anshu Jamsenpa has become the first woman to conquer Mt Everest twice within five days.
• Mumbai Indian wins the IPL 10 after defeating Rising Pune Supergiant by 1 run in the final.
18th May, Current Affairs:
• The 11-judge bench of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) at The
Hague today holds Kulbhushan Jadhav's execution in Pak by ordering Pakistan
to ensure that the Indian is not executed until a final decision.
• The Minister of State (Independent charge) for Environment, Forest and Climate Change Anil Madhav Dave passed away at the age of 60.
• Veteran Bollywood actor Reema Lagoo died at the age of 58 after a cardiac arrest.
16th May, Current Affairs:
• French President Emmanuel Macron named Edouard Philippe as the new Prime Minister of the country.
14th May, Current Affairs:
• Mother's Day observed today.
• India finished their Asian Wrestling Championship campaign with 10 medals including a gold, five silver and four bronze.
12th May, Current Affairs:
• International Nurses' Day observed today.
• Brazil has declared an end to its public health emergency for the Zika virus, 18 months after a surge in cases drew headlines around the world.
11th May, Current Affairs:
• National Technology Day observed today to mark India's scientific prowess and technological advancements.
10th May, Current Affairs:
• The Union Government approved the appointment of West Bengal cadre and
1982 batch officer Sanjay Mitra as the next defence secretary of the
• South Korea elected Moon Jae-in as the next President of its country.
9th May, Current Affairs:
• The Supreme Court today found Justice CS Karnan guilty of contempt of
court and sentenced him to six months in jail. He is the first judge to be
sentenced to jail by Supreme Court.
• India women pacer Jhulan Goswami becomes leading wicket-taker in women's ODIs after surpassing Australian Cathryn Fitzpatrick's tally of 180 wickets in one day internationals.
8th May, Current Affairs:
• Emmanuel Macron is elected as the next President of France.
7th May, Current Affairs:
• S S Rajamouli's movie Baahubali: The Conclusion creates history by
becoming the first Indian movie ever to collect 1,000 crore Rs.
• India defeated New Zealand 4-0 to clinch the bronze medal in the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup hockey tournament in Malaysia.
6th May, Current Affairs:
• The first woman Chief Justice of a High Court in India, Justice (retired) Leila Seth died at the age of 86. In 1991, she served as the Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh.
5th May, Current Affairs:
• GSAT-9 or the South Asia Communication Satellite successfully launch by
the GSLV at ISRO in Sriharikota. The satellite will provide service to the
six SAARC nations - India, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Maldives, Sri Lanka
• President Pranab Mukherjee signs ordinance for empowering RBI to act directly against top loan defaulters.
4th May, Current Affairs:
• Indore city in Madhya Pradesh declared as the India’s cleanest city
followed by Bhopal under Union Government's “Swachh Survekshan 2017”
program. Gonda city in Uttar Pradesh is declared as the dirtiest city.
• In the latest ranking by FIFA, India have been placed at the 100th spot. The Indian football team has entered in the top 100 world rankings for the first time in 21 years.
3rd May, Current Affairs:
• The World Press Freedom Day observed globally today.
• President Pranab Mukherjee felicitated the recipients of the 64th National Film Awards in New Delhi.
• Indian Army has successfully test-fired the advanced BRAHMOS Block III land attack cruise missile system in the Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
2nd May, Current Affairs:
• Dubai becomes first city in the World to get its own Microsoft font.
1st May, Current Affairs:
• International Labour Day celebrated today across the world.