Current Affairs, May 2018
Home⇒Current Affairs⇒Current Affairs, May-2018
23rd May, Current Affairs:
• HD Kumaraswamy sworn-in as 23rd CM of
• India ranks 145th among 195 countries in terms of quality and accessibility of healthcare published in the Global Burden of Disease study from 2000 to 2016. Iceland and Norway are the countries with best healthcare.
• South Africa batsman AB de Villiers announced his retirement from international cricket with immediate effect. He played 114 Tests, 228 ODIs and 78 T20Is for South Africa.
21st May, Current Affairs:
• PM Narendra Modi arrived in Russia to
meet Russian President Vladimir Putin in Sochi.
• Kerala is on high alert after three men from a family died due to a rare and deadly Nipah viral infection. Nipah virus is a zoonosis that can cause various diseases to humans as well as animals. Nipah virus can be transmitted to humans after consumption of food contaminated by bat saliva or urine.
19th May, Current Affairs:
• BS Yeddyurappa quit as Chief Minister just before trust vote in Karnataka Assembly.
17th May, Current Affairs:
• BJP's BS Yeddyurappa took oath as the Chief Minister of Karnataka.
16th May, Current Affairs:
• Nepali mountaineer Kami Rita Sherpa
climbed Mount Everest for a 22nd time and creating a new record for the most
summits of the world's highest mountain.
• Indore emerged as the cleanest city, followed by Bhopal and Chandigarh in the Union Government’s Swachh Survekshan 2018 cleanliness survey.
15th May, Current Affairs:
• BJP is emerging as the largest party in
Karnataka Assembly election results. BJP wins 104 seats, Congress wins 78
seats and JD(S) wins 38 seats.
• The Union Government announced cabinet reshuffle in which Railways and coal minister Piyush Goyal gets the finance portfolio in the absence of Arun Jaitley. Rajyavardhan Rathore gets independent charge of I&B ministry as minister of state.
• Shashank Manohar re-elected as ICC's Independent Chairman for a second term.
13th May, Current Affairs:
• Mother's day is celebrated today.
• NASA's SpaceX launches Bangladesh’s first communications satellite Bangabandhu-1 into Earth's orbit.
12th May, Current Affairs:
• 70 per cent voting recorded in the Karnataka State Assembly election held today.
11th May, Current Affairs:
• The National Technology Day is observed today in India. National Technology Day is observed to commemorate the Pokhran nuclear tests of 1998 anniversary.
10th May, Current Affairs:
• 92 years old Mahathir Mohamad sworn in as the World's oldest elected leader after winning the Prime Minister election in Malaysia.
9th May, Current Affairs:
• Chinese President Xi Jinping figures as
the most powerful man in the 10 most powerful people list published by US
magazine Forbes' 2018. Prime Minister Narendra Modi ranked 9th in the list.
• US retailer Walmart Inc acquired a 77 per cent stake in Indian e-commerce firm Flipkart for about $16 billion in its biggest acquisition till date.
8th May, Current Affairs:
• ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation) develops its own atomic clock which will be used in navigation satellite to test its accuracy and durability in space.
7th May, Current Affairs:
• Vladimir Putin took the oath of office for
his fourth term as Russian President.
• NASA launches InSight spacecraft bound for Mars. InSight will probe the depths of the red planet and be the first to measure 'Marsquakes'.
5th May, Current Affairs:
• Rohit Sharma became the first Indian cricketer to hit 300 sixes in T20 cricket across all tournaments.
3rd May, Current Affairs:
• World Press Freedom Day 2018 is celebrated
• More than 90 people killed in Rajasthan and in Uttar Pradesh after both the states were affected by a dust storm, accompanied by rain.
• The 65th National Film Awards were conferred to the winners in a ceremony held at Vigyan Bhavan in Delhi.
2nd May, Current Affairs:
• India's capital city of New Delhi named as the world's most polluted megacity by the World Health Organization. Another 13 Indian cities including Gwalior, Varanasi and Kanpur are also figured in the list of 20 most polluted cities in the world.
1st May, Current Affairs:
• International Labour Day is celebrated
• The Telecom commission of India has approved in-flight mobile services proposal. This will facilitate both voice and data calls and date surfing in Indian airspace.
• For the first time, the GST collection for a month exceeds Rs. 1 Lakh Crore. The total revenue collection under the Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime rose to Rs 103,458 crore during April 2018.