Current Affairs, May 2021
13th May, Current Affairs:
• The expert panel of the Central Drugs
Standard Control Organisation has granted permission to Bharat Biotech to
conduct Phase- II and III trials of COVID vaccine Covaxin for the age group
of two to 18 years.
• The National Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (NTAGI) has recommended to increase the gap between two doses of Serum Institute of India's Oxford COVID-19 vaccine, Covishield, to 12 to 16 weeks. The panel has, however, kept the dosage interval for Covaxin unchanged.
• The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) announced the appointment of former India spinner Ramesh Powar as the head coach of India women's cricket team.
12th May, Current Affairs:
• International Nurses Day is celebrated
today to honour nurses and healthcare workers.
• U.S. regulators authorized Pfizer (PFE.N) and BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine for use in children as young as 12. This is the first COVID-19 vaccine to be authorized in the United States for ages 12 to 15.
11th May, Current Affairs:
• Today is National Technology Day. The day
is celebrated every year on the 11th of May to highlight the achievements of
engineers and scientists in the field of technology and science.
• The Nagaland government has announced a one week statewide total lockdown from the 14th of May.
10th May, Current Affairs:
• Senior BJP leader Himanta Biswa Sarma
was sworn in as the new Chief Minister of Assam today. Governor Prof.
Jagdish Mukhi administered him the oath of office.
• World number six Alexander Zverev beat Matteo Berrettini to clinch his second Madrid Open title. Zverev rallied to defeat Italian world number 10 Berrettini 6-7 (8), 6-4, 6-3 in the final.
9th May, Current Affairs:
• Senior BJP leader Himanta Biswa Sarma
elected as the next Chief Minister of Assam. He was elected as the leader of
the legislative party today.
• In Delhi, the lockdown has been extended till 17th of this month. The Delhi Metro services will also be suspended during this period.
• Mother's Day is celebrated today.
8th May, Current Affairs:
• The Supreme Court of India constituted a
12-member national task force that would be tasked with formulating a
methodology for the "scientific allocation of medical oxygen" to states and
Union Territories (UTs) during the pandemic.
• The Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) has approved the emergency use of drug 2-deoxy-D-glucose (2-DG) as an adjunct therapy in moderate to severe Covid-19 patients. The Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences (INMAS), a lab of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), has developed the drug, in collaboration with Dr Reddy’s Laboratories, Hyderabad.
• The Health Ministry announced that requirement of a positive test for the COVID-19 virus is not mandatory for admission to a COVID-19 health facility and no patient will be refused services on any count.
7th May, Current Affairs:
• The Goa government has decided to impose
a 15-day 'total curfew' in the state to contain the spread of coronavirus
infections. The curfew will start from 9th May.
• DMK chief MK Stalin was sworn in as the new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, along with 33 members of his cabinet, by Governor Banwarilal Purohit.
• In Puducherry, Mr. N. Rangasamy was sworn in as the Chief Minister by the Lt. Governor of Puducherry Dr. Tamilisai Soundararajan today.
• Border Roads Organisation, BRO is celebrating its 61st Raising Day today.
6th May, Current Affairs:
• Kerala Government has declared complete
lockdown across the state from May 8th to 16th, on account of surge in covid
• Former Union Minister and Rashtriya Lok Dal Chief Ajit Singh passed away today after battling with corona virus.
• SpaceX achieved the first successful touchdown of its prototype Starship rocket during the latest test flight of the next-generation launch vehicle in south Texas.
5th May, Current Affairs:
• In West Bengal, TMC chief Mamata Banerjee was sworn-in as the Chief Minister of the state for the third consecutive term. Ms. Banerjee has become the second woman in the country to be sworn in as Chief Minister of any state consecutively for three terms after former Chief Minister of Delhi, Sheila Dixit.
4th May, Current Affairs:
• The 14th edition of the Indian Premier
League (IPL) was suspended today by the Board of Control for Cricket in
India (BCCI) owing to the rise in COVID-19 cases among players and support
staff of different franchises.
• The Bihar government has imposed a complete lockdown from tomorrow till May 15 due to surge in Covid-19 cases in the state.
• In Snooker, Mark Selby became the World Champion for the fourth time. Selby won the Championship defeating Shaun Murphy by 18-15 victory at Crucible Theatre, Sheffield.
2nd May, Current Affairs:
• The World Health Organisation has given
the go-ahead for emergency use of Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine.
• In the assembly elections held in four states and one Union territory, the ruling parties BJP expected to retain power in Assam, while TMC will retain power in West Bengal and LDF in Kerala. DMK is likely to form government in Tamil Nadu.
1st May, Current Affairs:
• Statehood Day is observed in Gujarat and
• Today is International Labour Day. The day is celebrated to honour the contribution of workers across the world.
• The first batch of Russia's coronavirus vaccine, Sputnik V, has arrived in Hyderabad. Dr Reddy's Laboratories has partnered with the makers of Sputnik V to roll out the vaccine in India.