Current Affairs,May 2022
25th May, Current Affairs:
• Captain Abhilasha Barak became the first
woman officer to join the Army Aviation Corps as a combat aviator after
completing the combat army aviation course.
• World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has been reelected for the second term.
• A Delhi court today awarded life imprisonment to Kashmiri separatist leader Yasin Malik in a terror funding case.
24th May, Current Affairs:
• The President of India on Monday announced Vinai Kumar Saxena, chairperson of the Khadi and Village Industries Commission, as the new Lieutenant Governor (L-G) of Delhi.
• The Quad Leaders' Summit has begun at Tokyo in Japan. Prime Minister Narendra Modi is participating in the meeting along with US President Joe Biden, Prime Minister of Australia Anthony Albanese, and Prime Minister of Japan Fumio Kishida.
• Punjab Kings opening batter Shikhar Dhawan has become the first player to hit 700 fours in the history of the IPL.
23rd May, Current Affairs:
• Labour Party leader Anthony Albanese was
today sworn in as Australia's new Prime Minister.
• The one million ASHA (Accredited Social Health Activist) workers, who are at the forefront of healthcare delivery in India, have received the Global Health Leaders Award-2022 in the backdrop of the on-going 75th World Health Assembly.
21st May, Current Affairs:
• Anti-Terrorism Day is observed today.
• Today is the International Tea Day.
• Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison has conceded defeat in the country's election. Anthony Albanese, leader of the Australian Labor Party, will take over as Australia's next prime minister.
• The Indian men's compound archery team defeat France by two points in an intense finish to win the gold medal in successive World Cup stages.
19th May, Current Affairs:
• More than 7.17 lakh people across 29
districts of Assam have been hit by heavy floods triggered by pre-monsoon
• India's Nikhat Zareen won the gold medal in the 52kg category at the Women's World Championship with a win over Thailand's Jitpong Jutamas in the fly-weight final in Istanbul, Turkey. She is now only the fifth Indian women's boxer after Mary Kom, Sarita Devi, Jenny RL and Lekha KC to win a gold at the World Championships.
• Communications Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw today successfully tested India's first 5G audio and video call at IIT Madras.
17th May, Current Affairs:
• Devasahayam Pillai, who embraced
Christianity in the 18th century, became the first Indian layman to be
declared a saint by Pope Francis during canonisation ceremony at the
• Defence Minister Rajnath Singh launches indigenous Navy destroyer warship INS Surat and INS Udaygiri in Mumbai.
• The 75th Cannes Film festival 2022 opens in France today. India is the Official Country of Honour at Cannes Film Market in this edition of the festival.
• Sweden has decided to formally apply to join the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), following in the footsteps of neighbouring Finland.
• Odisha wins 12th Hockey India Senior Women's National Championship in Bhopal.
15th May, Current Affairs:
• India today won their first Thomas Cup
title after beating holders and 14-time champions Indonesia 3-0 in the final
at the Impact Arena in Thailand.
• New Tripura CM Dr. Manik Saha take oath today Dr. Manik Saha took oath as 12th Chief Minister of the state today.
• Rajiv Kumar today assumed charge as the 25th Chief Election Commissioner of India at Nirvachan Sadan, New Delhi.
• Former Australia all-rounder Andrew Symonds has been killed in a car crash. The 46-year-old, who played 26 Tests and 198 one-day internationals for Australia from 1998 to 2009, was involved in a single-car accident outside Townsville in Queensland State.
14th May, Current Affairs:
• Union Government has prohibited wheat
export with immediate effect. The Directorate General of Foreign Trade
issued a notification in this regard.
• BJP Tripura chief and Rajya Sabha MP Manik Saha took over as the new Chief Minister of Tripura. This comes after Biplab Kumar Deb tendered his resignation in the afternoon.
• The Supreme Council of the United Arab Emirates elected Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan as the President of the country.
13th May, Current Affairs:
• United Arab Emirates (UAE) President
Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan died today at 73.
• The Indian men's badminton team made history after entering the semi-finals of the Thomas Cup for the first time in 43 years. India beat Malaysia 3-2 in the quarterfinals and assured themselves of at least a bronze medal. This the fourth time India have entered the semi-finals of Thomas Cup after1952,1955,1979, but there were no medals available on the earlier occasions.
12th May, Current Affairs:
• Sri Lanka's veteran political leader
Ranil Wickremesinghe has been appointed the next Prime Minister by the
President Gotabaya Rajapaksa.
• Saudi Aramco on Wednesday dethroned Apple as the world's most valuable company. The Saudi Arabian national petroleum and natural gas company billed as the largest oil-producing company in the world.
• In Hungary, Katalin Novak has taken over as the first female President of the country.
• An extended range version of the BrahMos supersonic missile was successfully test fired from a Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft today.
• Tata Sons appointed Campbell Wilson as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Managing Director of Air India.
• Election Commissioner Rajiv Kumar will be the new Chief Election Commissioner of India.
10th May, Current Affairs:
• World Lupus Day is observed today. The
day is observed every year to raise awareness about Lupus which is an
autoimmune disease that can cause damage to any part of the body.
• Yoon Suk-yeol was sworn in as South Korean president at Seoul's National Assembly.
• Renowned santoor player Pt Shivkumar Sharma died in Mumbai today following a heart attack. He was 84.
• Pulitzer Prize-2022 was announced in the fields of journalism, book, drama, and accompaniment. Slain photo journalist Danish Siddiqui is among four Indians honoured with the prestigious Pulitzer Prize 2022 in the feature photography category. Siddiqui, Adnan Abidi, Sanna Irshad Mattoo, and Amit Dave won the award.
9th May, Current Affairs:
• Sri Lankan Prime Minister Mahinda
Rajapaksa resigned from his post.
• Chief Justice of India Justice N V Ramana today administered the oath of office to Justice Sudhanshu Dhulia and Justice Jamshed B Pardiwala at a function in the Supreme Court.
• Australian women's team star keeper-batter Alyssa Healy and South African men's side spinner Keshav Maharaj were voted the ICC's 'Player of the Month' for April in their respective categories.
• The Asian Games 2022, which were scheduled to be held in September in the Chinese city of Hangzhou, has been postponed until 2023 due to Covid-19 pandemic.
5th May, Current Affairs:
• The Jammu and Kashmir Delimitation
Commission made public on Thursday its final draft on redrawn
constituencies, seven additional segments, and the names of constituencies.
According to an official statement, 43 seats for the Jammu division and 47
for the Kashmir division have been demarcated, with a total of nine seats
reserved for Schedule Tribes for the first time.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi returned India today after concluding his three-nation European tour.
4th May, Current Affairs:
• The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) hiked its
benchmark interest rate by 40 bps. The lending rate has been increased to
4.40 per cent.
• India has fallen eight places from 142 to 150 in the 2022 World Press Freedom Index of 180 countries. The index, published by Reporters Without Borders.
3rd May, Current Affairs:
• Eid-ul-Fitr is being celebrated with
religious fervour and gaiety across the country today.
• The festival of Akshaya Tritiya is being celebrated all over the country today.
• Kerala beat West Bengal 5-4 in a penalty shootout at the Payyanad Stadium in Malappuram to win the Santosh Trophy National Tournament for the seventh time. Both teams were tied at 1-1 at the end of extra-time.
2nd May, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi and German
Chancellor Olaf Scholz are co-chairing the sixth edition of the
India-Germany Inter-Governmental Consultations-IGC in Berlin.
• The Central Intelligence Agency, USA has appointed Nand Mulchandani, an Indian-origin man as their first ever Central Technology Officer (CTO).
• Three-time World champion Carolina Marin clinched the European Championships title for the sixth time.
• Real Madrid claimed a record-extending 35th LaLiga title after defeating Espanyol 4-0 in Santiago Bernabeu stadium.