Current Affairs, November 2021
30th November, Current Affairs:
• India's gross domestic product (GDP)
in the second quarter of the fiscal year 2021-22 grew at 8.4 percent.
• Lionel Messi won the men's Ballon d'Or award for a record-extending seventh time at a ceremony in Paris. Alexia Putellas became the third winner of the women's award for an outstanding season with Barcelona and Spain.
29th November, Current Affairs:
• The Farm Laws Repeal Bill 2021 was
passed by voice vote in Rajya Sabha.
• Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey will step down as CEO of the social media platform. He will be succeeded by Twitter's current Chief Technology Officer Parag Agrawal. Parag Agrawal studied B Tech in Computer Science and Engineering at IIT Bombay and completed his PhD from Stanford University.
28th November, Current Affairs:
• Squash star Saurav Ghosal made
history as he became the first Indian to win the Malaysian Open
Championships after beating Miguel Rodriguez in the men's singles final.
• Ravichandran Ashwin surpassed Pakistan pacer Shaheen Shah Afridi to become the highest wicket-taker in Test cricket in the calendar year. With 41 wickets to his name, Ashwin has overtaken Shaheen Afridi on the list.
• Indian middle-order batsman Shreyas Iyer became the first Indian batsman to score a hundred and a half-century on his Test debut.
• Noted mountaineer from Uttarakhand Harshwanti Bisht has earned the distinction of being elected the first woman president of the Indian Mountaineering Foundation (IMF).
26th November, Current Affairs:
• Constitution Day also known as
'Samvidhan Divas', is celebrated today.
• National Milk day is celebrated today. This time, the day also marks the 100th Birth anniversary of Dr. Kurien.
• A new coronavirus variant - B.1.1.529 - has been red-flagged by scientists over an alarmingly high number of spike mutations that might increase transmissibility and lead to more severe symptoms. It is first identified in South Africa this week.
• Shreyas Iyer became the 16th Indian batter to score a century on Test debut. He scores 105 in the ongoing Kanpur Test match against New Zealand.
25th November, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi today
laid the foundation stone of the Noida International Airport at Jewar in
Gautam Buddha Nagar of Uttar Pradesh.
• INS Vela, the fourth Scorpene-class submarine was commissioned into the Indian Navy, in the presence of Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Karambir Singh, at the naval dockyard in Mumbai.
24th November, Current Affairs:
• The Union Cabinet today approved a
Bill to repeal the three farm laws, which triggered protests at Delhi
borders by thousands of farmers.
• Pratham NGO has been awarded with the Indira Gandhi Peace Prize 2021 for its work on expanding the scope for education in India.
• Union Labour Minister, Bhupender Yadav, started India’s first survey of domestic workers.
• Balasore district received India’s “Best Marine District” award on the occasion of World Fisheries Day 2021.
• El Salvador plans to build the world's first "Bitcoin City", funded initially by bitcoin-backed bonds.
• Melbourne Renegades star Harmanpreet Kaur became the first Indian player to be named the Women Big Bash League (WBBL) Player of the Tournament.
22nd November, Current Affairs:
• The YS Jaganmohan Reddy-led
government in Andhra Pradesh has withdrawn the controversial three-capital
bill. The AP Decentralisation and Inclusive Development Bill was meant to
trifurcate Andhra Pradesh's capital into three – the executive capital at
Vizag, legislative capital at Amaravati, judicial capital at Kurnool.
• Group Captain Varthaman Abhinandan, who shot down a Pakistan F-16 fighter jet in the aftermath of the Pulwama terror attack of February 2019, was today awarded the Vir Chakra by President Ram Nath Kovind at a ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhawan.
• Tamil Nadu beat Karnataka by four wickets in the final of the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy 2021.
21st November, Current Affairs:
• Defence Minister Rajnath Singh
formally commissioned the first stealth-guided missile destroyer ship of
Project 15B, INS Visakhapatnam into the Indian Navy at the Naval Dockyard in
Mumbai. INS Visakhapatnam has been constructed using indigenous steel DMR
249A and is amongst the largest destroyers constructed in India with an
overall length of 163m and displacement of over 7,400 tons.
• The 52nd edition of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI), Asia's oldest and India's biggest film festival has started in Goa.
20th November, Current Affairs:
• 17 people have been reported dead
and over 100 washed away in floods following incessant rains in Andhra
• Madhya Pradesh's Indore has yet again made it as India's cleanest city in the nationwide annual cleanliness survey. Indore was declared India's cleanest city for the fifth time in a row by the central government. Gujarat's Surat ranked second in the nationwide annual cleanliness survey, 'Swachh Survekshan 2021.
• US President Joe Biden transferred power to Vice President Kamala Harris for a brief time while he was under anesthesia during a routine colonoscopy.
• According to the ‘Indian Police Foundation (IFP) Citizen Satisfaction Survey on Smart Policing, 2021’, Andhra Pradesh tops the list followed by Telangana, Assam, Kerala, Sikkim, Mizoram and Gujarat in quality of policing. A total of 1,61,192 people were interviewed for the survey and 64% of the responses were received online and 36% gathered offline.
19th November, Current Affairs:
• Gurpurab is observed today on the
occasion of Guru Nanak Dev birth anniversary.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the removal of the three farm laws that are at the heart of massive farmer protests across the country for over a year.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi handed over indigenously developed light combat helicopter (LCH) to the Indian Air Force in Jhansi today.
• New Zealand opener Martin Guptill on Friday surpassed Virat Kohli to become the highest run-scorer in the T20 Internationals during the second match of the 3-match T20I series against India at JSCA International Stadium Complex in Ranchi.
• South African batter AB de Villiers announce his retirement from all forms of cricket.
17th November, Current Affairs:
• The number of fully vaccinated
individuals against COVID-19 has surpassed the partially vaccinated eligible
population for the first time in India.
• US pharmaceutical giant Pfizer Inc. has inked an agreement with a UN-backed group to permit other manufacturers to make and supply its experimental Covid-19 pill for use in 95 low- and middle-income countries.
• Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president and former India captain Sourav Ganguly has been appointed as the chairman of the International Cricket Council (ICC) Cricket Committee.
• India women's team opening batter Smriti Mandhana became the first Indian player to score a century in the Women's Big Bash League. Mandhana, who plays for the Sydney Thunder, stayed unbeaten on 114.
16th November, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi on
Tuesday inaugurated the 341 km Purvanchal Expressway in Uttar Pradesh after
landing on the highway airstrip in an IAF C-130 Hercules plane.
• First Audit Diwas is observed today. Prime Minister Narendra Modi address an event today to mark the first Audit Diwas at the CAG office.
• Australia wins their maiden T20 World Cup trophy as they defeated New Zealand by 8 wickets in the final at Dubai.
14th November, Current Affairs:
• Children's Day is celebrated today
• President Ram Nath Kovind presented the National Sports Awards 2021 at an event at the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
• The government has brought two ordinances to extend the tenures of the CBI and Enforcement Directorate chiefs to up to five years. The chiefs of the central agencies currently have a two-year tenure.
• The medical journal Lancet has stated that the made-in-India vaccine is 77.8 per cent effective against symptomatic Covid, as demonstrated by the phase 3 data. The efficacy data demonstrated 70.8 per cent protection against all variants of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
• Sri Lankan great Mahela Jayawardena, former South Africa all-rounder Shaun Pollock and ex-England batter Janette Brittin will be inducted into the ICC Hall of Fame.
• Russia has started supplying the S-400 Triumf air defence systems to India, the first unit of which will be deployed near the western front. India had signed a USD 5 billion deal with Russia to buy five units of the S-400 air defence missile systems.
11th November, Current Affairs:
• National Education Day is observed
today to commemorate the birth anniversary of independent India's first
education minister Maulana Abul Kalam Azad.
• Devasahayam Pillai will become the first Indian layman - a non-ordained member of the Church - to be conferred sainthood. Pope Francis will canonize Devasahayam Pillai, together with six other, during a Canonization Mass in St Peter's Basilica in Vatican on May 15, 2022.
8th November, Current Affairs:
• Heavy overnight rain led to flooding
in several areas of Chennai. Tamil Nadu has received a 43% surplus rainfall
and Chennai registered a 26% excess since October 1.
• Vice Admiral Krishna Swaminathan assumes charge as Chief of Staff of Western Naval Command.
• Indian Table Tennis player Manika Batra won a bronze medal in the WTT Contender tournament in Lasko after getting defeated by Wang Yidi in the semi-finals.
5th November, Current Affairs:
• The result of the QS Asia Rankings
2022 has been released today. The National University of Singapore (NUS) has
topped the list while Peking University and Nanyang Technological
University, Singapore (NTU) have been placed in the second and third
positions. The top three Indian universities to feature on the Asia Rankings
are IIT Bombay (Rank 42), IIT Delhi (Rank 45), and IIT Madras (Rank 54).
• India pacer Jasprit Bumrah set a new record as he overtook Yuzvendra Chahal on the list of bowlers with most wickets in T20I format. Jasprit Bumrah took his tally to 64 wickets, one more Chahal.
4th November, Current Affairs:
• The Festival of Light, Diwali is
• The Union Government decided to reduce the central levy on petrol and diesel by Rs 5 and Rs 10.
• After the WHO granted an emergency use listing to Covaxin, the United States will allow travellers vaccinated with Bharat Biotech's Covaxin to enter the country from November 8.
• Rahul Dravid appointed the new head coach of the Indian men's cricket team by the Board of Control for Cricket in India's Cricket Advisory Committee.
• Britain became the first country in the world to approve COVID-19 antiviral pill jointly developed by U.S.-based Merck and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics.
• Unmukt Chand is set to be the first Indian male cricketer to play in Australia's Big Bash League after the batter signed for the 2021-2022 season which begins from next month.
3rd November, Current Affairs:
• The World Health Organization today
granted Covaxin an emergency use listing, or EUL. Covaxin is first the
'made-in-India' vaccine which will finally be recognised by other countries.
• The Ministry of Youth Affairs Sports announced the names of the 12 sportspersons who will be awarded the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award for the year 2021. A total of 35 sportspersons will receive the Arjuna Awards for outstanding performance in sports.
• Olympic gold medalist Neeraj Chopra, wrestler Ravi Kumar Dahiya, Boxer Lovlina Borgohain and Indian men’s hockey team goalkeeper PR Sreejesh, Para Shooter Avani Lekhara, Para Athlete Sumit Antil, Para-Badminton players Pramod Bhagat and Krishna Nagar, Para Shooter Manish Narwal, cricketer Mithali Raj, footballer Sunil Chhetri and Indian men’s hockey team captain Manprit Singh are the 12 sportspersons who will be honoured with the Khel Ratna the National Sports Awards 2021. Sunil Chhetri becomes the first footballer to be conferred with the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award.
2nd November, Current Affairs:
• National Ayurveda Day is observed
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi has told the COP26 climate summit that India plans to reduce its emissions to net zero by 2070. Net zero, or becoming carbon neutral, means not adding to the amount of greenhouse gases currently in the atmosphere.
• England's Eoin Morgan surpassed former India and Afghanistan captains MS Dhoni and Asghar Afghan as the most successful skippers of all time in men's T20 internationals. Eoin Morgan won his 43rd match in the shortest format of the international game.
• World's richest person Elon Musk-owned SpaceX incorporated its wholly-owned subsidiary in India to start local broadband operations. SpaceX's satellite broadband arm Starlink aims to start broadband services in India from December 2022.
• England batter Jos Buttler became the first to score a century in the T20 World Cup 2021 as he hammered 101 not out in just 67 balls against Sri Lanka in their Super 12 match.
• The Sports Ministry physically handed over trophies to all the winners of last year’s National Sports Awards during a function at Delhi’s Ashoka Hotel. The Sports Ministry handed over a total of 74 National Sports Awards, including 5 Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratnas and 27 Arjuna Awards.
1st November, Current Affairs:
• Australia today recognised India's
Covaxin for the purpose of travel to the country as it eased curbs on
• British Prime Minister Boris Johnson opened a global climate summit today. Prime Minister Modi is also scheduled to deliver a national statement alongside other world leaders.