Current Affairs, October 2017
Home⇒Current Affairs⇒Current Affairs, October-2017
31st October, Current Affairs:
• National Unity Day is observed to commemorate birth anniversary of
Sardar Vallabhai Patel.
• India has jumped 30 places to 100th place in the World Bank's ease of doing business rankings published for this year.
• Scientists from Switzerland have succeeded in generating the world's shortest laser pulse with duration of only 43 attoseconds.
29th October, Current Affairs:
• Virat Kohli became the sixth Indian to complete 9000 ODI runs during
the third game against New Zealand in Kanpur. He is also the fastest to
score 9000 runs in ODI.
• Indian shuttler Kidambi Srikanth wins the French Open Super series Final after defeating Kenta Nishimoto by 21-14, 21-13.
• India wins the ODI series against New Zealand by 2-1.
• South African batsman David Miller scores the fastest ever T20I century with a 36-ball innings in a match played against Bangladesh.
28th October, Current Affairs:
• Writer and lyricist Javed Akhtar conferred with the Pandit Hridaynath
Mangeshkar Award for 2017.
• England wins the FIFA U-17 World Cup after defeating Spain by 5-2 in the final at Kolkata.
25th October, Current Affairs:
• Centre extends the deadline for linking Aadhaar to avail benefits of
government schemes to March 31, 2018.
• The Election Commission announced the election date for Gujarat. The state goes to polls in two phases on December 9 and 14 and counting will be on December 18.
• Indian classical singer Girija Devi who is also known as "Queen of Thumri" passed away at the age of 88 in Kolkata.
• Cristiano Ronaldo crowned as the best male footballer in the world at the FIFA Best Football Awards.
22nd October, Current Affairs:
• India defeat Malaysia by 2-1 in the final to win the Asia Cup Hockey
2017 in Dhaka.
• Virat Kohli became the second highest centurion in ODIs after scoring his 31st century in Mumbai in a match against New Zealand. Only Sachin Tendulkar is ahead of him with 49 international hundreds.
• Indian ace Kidambi Srikanth wins Denmark Open Super series title after defeating Lee Hyun-Il of South Korea by 21-10, 21-5 in the final.
21st October, Current Affairs:
• Spain's Garbine Muguruza has been named the Women's Tennis Association's (WTA) Player of the Year.
19th October, Current Affairs:
• Diwali, the festival of lights is celebrated today in all over India.
18th October, Current Affairs:
• US author George Saunders has won the Man Booker prize for his novel Lincoln in the Bardo.
16th October, Current Affairs:
• World Food Day is observed today.
• Defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman commissioned the indigenously-built anti-submarine warfare stealth corvette INS Kiltan at the Eastern Naval Command in Visakhapatnam.
15th October, Current Affairs:
• Roger Federer defeated Rafael Nadal by 6-4, 6-3 to win the Shanghai Masters.
12th October, Current Affairs:
• The United States of America has decided to pull out of the United
Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
• The Election Commission today announced elections to Himachal Pradesh Assembly. The election to Himachal Pradesh Assembly will be held in one phase on 9th November.
• India qualified for the 2019 Asian Cup after defeating Macau 4-1 in their qualifier at the Sree Kanteerava Stadium in Bengaluru.
11th October, Current Affairs:
• Anupam Kher will take over as the new chief of the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII).
9th October, Current Affairs:
• Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences has been awarded to US-born professor Richard H. Thaler for his contributions to behavioural economics.
6th October, Current Affairs:
• The International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN) awarded
with the Nobel Peace Prize.
• In the GST Council meeting today, the Union Government decided to put gem and jewellery dealers out of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).
• The FIFA U-17 World Cup tournament starts from today in India.
5th October, Current Affairs:
• British author Kazuo Ishiguro has won the Nobel Prize for Literature.
4th October, Current Affairs:
• Rajnish Kumar is appointed as the new chairman of SBI. He will replace
Arundhati Bhattacharya on 7th October, 2017.
• The Nobel Prize in Chemistry is awarded to Jacques Dubochet, Joachim Frank and Richard Henderson for developing cryo-electron (Cryo-EM) microscopy which makes it possible to portray biomolecules in a 3D form after freezing them very fast.
3rd October, Current Affairs:
• The 2017 Nobel Prize in Physics has been awarded to Rainer Weiss, Barry C. Barish and Kip S. Thorne for their detection of gravitational waves.
2nd October, Current Affairs:
• International Day of Non-violence is celebrated today on the birth
anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
• America-born scientists Jeffrey Hall, Michael Rosbash and Michael Young win the 2017 Nobel Prize for Medicine for their discoveries of molecular mechanisms.
• Over 50 people dead and more than 200 injured in a shooting at Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas.
1st October, Current Affairs:
• India wins the five matches ODI series against Australia by 4-1.