Current Affairs, October 2019
31st October, Current Affairs:
• National Unity day, also known as
Rashtriya Ekta Diwas is celebrated today in India today in the honours of
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
• Radha Krishna Mathur formally sworn in as first ever Lieutenant Governor of newly carved Union Territory of Ladakh.
29th October, Current Affairs:
• Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde was today
appointed as the 47th Chief Justice of India. Justice Bobde will take oath
as the CJI on November 18th.
• President Ram Nath Kovind conferred the first National Corporate Social Responsibility Awards to the companies for their outstanding contribution in the area of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
• The Indian cricket team will play its first ever Day-Night Test match here against Bangladesh next month. The Test is scheduled to be held at the Eden Gardens from November 22-26 and will be the second game of a two-match series.
• Tamil Nadu has become the first State in the country to enact a law on contract farming with President Ram Nath Kovind giving assent to the Agricultural Produce and Livestock Contract Farming and Services (Promotion and Facilitation) Act.
26th October, Current Affairs:
• The BJP's Manoharlal Khattar took
oath as the Chief Minister of Haryana for a second term today.
• Deepawali, the festival of lights, is being celebrated across the country today. The festival marks the victory of good over evil.
25th October, Current Affairs:
• Indian Administrative Service
officers Girish Chandra Murmu has been appointed as Lt. Governor of
Jammu-Kashmir and R K Mathur as Lt. Governor of Ladakh. Mr P.S. Sreedharan
Pillai has been appointed the new Governor of Mizoram. The incumbent
Governor of the Jammu and Kashmir Satya Pal Malik has been moved to Goa.
• Karnataka was crowned the 2019-20 Vijay Hazare Champions as they beat Tamil Nadu by nine wickets in the Vijay Hazare Trophy at Bengaluru.
24th October, Current Affairs:
• India ranked 63rd in World Bank’s
Ease of Doing Business ranking released today.
• BJP leads in the State Assembly results declared today for Maharashtra and Haryana.
23rd October, Current Affairs:
• The Appointments Committee of Cabinet
(ACC) has approved the appointment of IAS Pankaj Kumar as the chief
executive officer (CEO) of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI),
which issues Aadhaar.
• The Union Government decided to merge loss-making telecom firms MTNL and BSNL as part of a revival package that includes raising sovereign bonds, monetising assets and voluntary retirement scheme (VRS) for employees.
22nd October, Current Affairs:
• Canada's Prime Minister Justin
Trudeau's Liberal Party held onto power in a nail-biter of a Canadian
• India completed a 3-0 whitewash of South Africa with comprehensive innings and 202 runs in the third and final Test played in Ranchi.
• Home Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the highest bridge in India named after the “Lion of Ladakh” Col Chewang Rinchen. It stands at 14,650 feet across the Shyok river.
21st October, Current Affairs:
• Polling is conducted for the Assembly
elections in Maharashtra and Haryana. Polling is also being held in the
by-election to 51 Assembly seats and two Lok Sabha constituencies spread
across 17 States.
• The Winter Session of Parliament will commence from 18th of next month. It will conclude on 13th of December.
• Indonesia's President Joko Widodo has been sworn into office for his second and final five-year term.
• Australian airline Qantas landed the world's first ultra long-haul research flight in Sydney after travelling 16,200 kilometres from New York.
18th October, Current Affairs:
• The world’s first female spacewalking
team made history high above Earth on Friday, floating out of the
International Space Station to fix a broken part of the power network. As
NASA astronauts Christina Koch and Jessica Meir takes part in the activity.
• Pakistan continues to be on the Grey List of the international terror financing watchdog Financial Action Task Force.
17th October, Current Affairs:
• UAE announced the establishment of
the Mohamed bin Zayed University of Artificial Intelligence( MBZUAI), the
first graduate-level, research-based AI university in the world.
• According to the 20th Livestock Census, total Livestock population in India is 535.78 million and has increased by 4.6% as compared to the previous census. The previous census was conducted in 2014.
• Barcelona captain Lionel Messi received his sixth Golden Shoe as the top scorer in the European leagues.
15th October, Current Affairs:
• Air India has become the first
airline in the world to use a Taxibot on an A-320 aircraft with passengers
• Kais Saied is elected as the new President of Tunisia.
• The 2019 Booker Prize was jointly won by Margaret Atwood and Bernardine Evaristo after judges defied the rules by declaring a tie.
14th October, Current Affairs:
• Indian-American Abhijit Banerjee,
Esther Duflo, and Michael Kremer will share the Economics Nobel prize for
their "experimental approach to alleviating global poverty", the Swedish
academy announced today.
• Former Indian Cricket captain Sourav Ganguly will be the new President of Board of Control for Cricket in India, BCCI.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi has become the most-followed world leader on Instagram with over 30 million followers.
13th October, Current Affairs:
• India beat South Africa by an innings
and 137 runs in the second Test at the Maharashtra Cricket Association
Stadium in Pune to clinched the three-Test series 2-0, thereby setting a new
world record of most consecutive Test series wins at home. India have now
won 11 straight Test series at home to better their joint-record which they
held with Australia, who twice won 10 home series in a row -- from 1994 to
2001 and 2004 to 2008.
• Indian nun Sister Mariam Thresia and four others were declared Saints by Pope Francis at a grand ceremony at the Vatican City today. Sister Thresia was born on April 26, 1876 in Kerala's Thrissur district. She died on June 8, 1926 at the age of 50. On April 9, 2000, she was beatified by Pope John Paul II.
• Manju Rani took wins the silver medal at the Women's World Boxing Championships after losing to Ekaterina Paltceva of Russia in the 48kg category final.
• Indian shuttler Lakshya Sen clinched his maiden BWF World Tour title by winning the Dutch Open men's singles title after beating Yusuke Onodera of Japan by 15-21 21-14 21-15.
12th October, Current Affairs:
• M C Mary Kom settled for a bronze
medal in the World Women's Boxing Championships after losing to Turkey's
Busenaz Cakiroglu in the semifinal bout at Ulan Ude in Russia.
• Kenyan Eliud Kipchoge made athletics history when he became the first person to run a marathon in under two hours. Eliud Kipchoge has broken the two-hour marathon barrier at the Ineos 1:59 challenge in Vienna.
11th October, Current Affairs:
• Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed
awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to resolve his country's
conflict with Eritrea.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi received Chinese President Xi Jinping in Mamallapuram for the Second Informal summit between the two countries.
• Businessman Mukesh Ambani continues to be the richest person in India according to business magazine Forbes, which has revealed its 2019 rankings of the richest Indians.
10th October, Current Affairs:
• The 2019 Nobel Prize in Literature
has been announced along with the 2018 Prize. The Swedish Academy said,
Austrian author Peter Handke has won the 2019 Prize while Polish writer Olga
Tokarczuk has received the 2018 Prize.
• India women's cricket captain Mithali Raj today became the first female player to last more than 20 years in international cricket.
• World Post Day is being celebrated today.
9th October, Current Affairs:
• India has moved down 10 places to rank
68th on an annual global competitiveness index.
• The Nobel Prize 2019 for Chemistry has been awarded to John B Goodenough, Stanley Whittingham, and Akira Yoshino for developing the lithium-ion batteries.
8th October, Current Affairs:
• India got the formal delivery of the
first of the 36 Rafale fighter jets bought from the Dassault Aviation in
France today. Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, who is on a three-day
visit to France, accepted the handover at a facility of Rafale manufacturer
Dassault Aviation in Bordeaux.
• Indian Air Force celebrated its 87th birthday today.
• Vijayadashmi also known as Dussehra is being celebrated across the country today.
• Nobel Prize 2019 for Physics has been announced. Three scientists, James Peebles, Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz have won the Prize for their contribution to the understanding of the evolution of the universe and earth's place in the cosmos.
7th October, Current Affairs:
• India has received the first tranche
of details about financial accounts of its residents in Swiss banks under a
new automatic exchange of information framework between the two countries.
• India’s off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin became the joint fastest to take 350 wickets, matching Sri Lankan great Muttiah Muralitharan’s feat in his 66th Test.
• World Trade Organisation, WTO will host the first World Cotton Day (WCD) celebrations in Geneva today.
• The 2019 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine has been awarded to scientists William G Kaelin, Jr, Peter J Ratcliffe and Gregg L Semenza. The Nobel Committee announced today that they received the award jointly for their discoveries of "how cells sense and adapt to oxygen availability.
5th October, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his
Bangladesh counterpart Sheikh Hasina today jointly inaugurated three
bilateral projects through video conferencing including one on import of
bulk LPG from Bangladesh.
• Rohit Sharma brought up his second hundred in the ongoing Test match against South Africa in Vizag, becoming the first batsman in Test history to score two hundreds on debut as an opener.
4th October, Current Affairs:
• The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has
today slashed the policy repo rate under the liquidity adjustment facility
(LAF) by 25 basis points to 5.15 per cent from 5.40 per cent with immediate
• India women T20I captain Harmanpreet Kaur became the most capped Indian in the shortest format of the game with 100th T20I match.
• The Bhopal Municipal Corporation (BMC) and the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) have joined hands to set up the country’s first e-waste clinic in Bhopal, which would enable segregation, processing and disposal of waste from both household and commercial units.
2nd October, Current Affairs:
• The Nation pays homage to the Father
of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi on his 150th birth anniversary today.
• The Nation remembers Former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri on his birth anniversary today.
1st October, Current Affairs:
• Eminent economist Surjit S Bhalla appointed as the Executive Director for India on the board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF).