Current Affairs, September 2019
21st September, Current Affairs:
• Bollywood movie "Gully Boy" is
India's official entry for the Oscars. The movie is directed by Zoya Akhtar.
• State Assembly election for Maharashtra and Haryana will be conducted on October 21 and the results will be out three days later.
20th September, Current Affairs:
• Union Minister for Finance and
Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitaraman today announced that corporate tax rates
has been slashed to 22% for domestic companies and 15% for new domestic
• India has received first of 36 Rafale fighter jets from France. The fighter jet was received by Deputy Chief Air Marshal Chaudhary during his visit to France.
• Bajrang Punia defeated Tulga Ochir of Mongolia in the men's freestyle 65kg bout to win a bronze medal for India in the ongoing World Wrestling Championships in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan.
• Amit Panghal (52kg) defeated Kazakhstan's Saken Bibossinov in the World Boxing Championships semi-final bout to script history by becoming the first Indian male boxer to reach the final of the prestigious tournament in Yekaterinburg, Russia.
19th September, Current Affairs:
• Air Marshal Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria will be the next chief of Indian Air force.
18th September, Current Affairs:
• The Union Cabinet today approved an
ordinance to ban production, import, distribution and sale of electronic
• India's star wrestler Vinesh Phogat qualified for the 2020 Olympics after beating fancied American Sarah Hildebrandt in the World Championships in Nur Sultan, Kazakhstan in the bronze medal bout of 53 kg freestyle event.
• World Bamboo Day being observed today.
• Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena inaugurated the tallest tower of South Asia in Colombo. The Colombo Lotus Tower stands 356 meters tall and 17-storey.
17th September, Current Affairs:
• Indigenously designed air-to-air missile Astra was successfully test-fired from the Bay of Bengal off the coast of Odisha.
16th September, Current Affairs:
• Spain wins its second FIBA
basketball World Cup title after defeating Argentina with 95-75 in the gold
medal game held at Wukesong Arena in Beijing, China.
• Australia retain the Ashes urn after ending the five matches series 2-2 draw against England.
15th September, Current Affairs:
• Pankaj Advani wins his 22nd World
Billiards Title. This is Pankaj Advani's fourth consecutive year being
victorious at the world level.
• In Badminton, Sourabh Verma clinched the Vietnam Open Super 100 title, defeating China’s Sun Fei Xiang in a thrilling Men's Singles summit clash at the Ho Chi Minh City.
14th September, Current Affairs:
• Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman
today announced a special window of Rs. 10,000 crore to boost affordable and
• Hindi Diwas is celebrated today in India.
• India clinched the Under-19 Asia Cup title, with a five-run win over Bangladesh in a low-scoring final at Colombo.
9th September, Current Affairs:
• Rafael Nadal defeated Russia's
Daniil Medvedev 7-5, 6-3, 5-7, 4-6, 6-4 in a four hours and 50 minutes long
US Open final to capture his 19th Grand Slam title.
• Australia retained the Ashes series as they won the fourth Test by 185 runs on the last day at Old Trafford Stadium in Manchester, UK.
8th September, Current Affairs:
• Bianca Andreescu became Canada's
first Grand Slam singles champion after she defeated Serena Williams in the
US Open final by 6-3, 7-5 to win the Women's single title.
• Ram Jethmalani, one of India's well-known lawyers and a former union minister, died this morning at his home in Delhi. He was 95.
7th September, Current Affairs:
• ISRO has lost contact with
Chandrayaan 2’s lander Vikram and rover Pragyan housed inside it minutes
before the planned touch-down. The lander of the lunar craft Chandrayaan-2
snapped its communication with the ground stations just minutes before its
planned soft-landing on the moon early this morning.
• India Red beat India Green by an innings and 38 runs to clinch the Duleep Trophy title on the fourth day at Bengaluru.
• Pakistan's master leg-spinner Abdul Qadir died in Lahore today after suffering from a massive cardiac arrest.
6th September, Current Affairs:
• Sri Lankan bowler Lasith Malinga
became the first ever bowler to take 100 wickets in T20I format in 3rd T20I
against New Zealand at Pallekele. He also became the first-ever bowler to
pick up 2 hat-trick in T20I cricket.
• President Ram Nath Kovind conferred awards for outstanding contribution to the journey of Swachh Bharat Mission. Vaishno Devi Shrine Board in Jammu and Kashmir received the Best Swachh Iconic Place award.
5th September, Current Affairs:
• National Teacher's day is observed
• Former Finance Minister P Chidambaram has been sent to Tihar Jail by a Special CBI court in Delhi in connection with the INX Media corruption case.
• India today announced a line of credit worth one Billion US dollars for the development of the Far East region of Russia.
• Nobel Laureate from Bangladesh Professor Muhammad Yunus was conferred the 'Lamp of Peace of Saint Francis ' award by the Vatican for his contribution towards establishing peace and harmony.
• The HRD Ministry on Thursday awarded the Institution of Eminence (IoE) status to the Delhi University, Banaras Hindu University, University of Hyderabad, IIT-Madras and IIT-Kharagpur.
3rd September, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi has
left for Russia on a three-day official visit. He will attend the 5th
Eastern Economic Forum summit in Vladivostok.
• Indian Air Force today formally inducted the AH-64E Apache Attack Helicopter into its inventory at Air Force Station Pathankot.
• British Prime Minister Boris Johnson lost his working parliamentary majority after Conservative MP Phillip Lee defected to the pro-EU Liberal Democrats.
• Steve Smith dethroned India captain Virat Kohli to reclaim the top spot in ICC Test rankings released today.
1st September, Current Affairs:
• Jasprit Bumrah became third Indian
after Harbhajan Singh and Irfan Pathan to claim a hat-trick in Test cricket.
Bumrah takes the hat-trick wickets in the second test against West Indies.
• Former Uttarakhand Chief Minister Bhagat Singh Koshyari has been appointed as the new Governor of Maharashtra while former Union Minister Arif Mohammed Khan will take the responsibility of Kerala governor. Former Union Minister and BJP leader, Bandaru Dattatraya will be the new Governor of Himachal Pradesh in place of Kalraj Mishra who has been given the charge of Governor of Rajasthan. Former Tamil Nadu BJP chief, Dr Tamilisai Soundararajan is the new Governor of Telangana.
• Lieutenant General Manoj Mukund Naravane assumed charge as vice chief of Indian Army.
• Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the country’s longest electrified rail tunnel between Cherlopalli and Rapuru and the electrified railway line between Venkatachalam and Obulavaripalli.