Goa is a state located on the western coast of India, known for its picturesque beaches and rich cultural heritage. The state was a Portuguese colony for over 450 years and this influence is still visible in the state's architecture, food, and festivals. Goa is a popular tourist destination, attracting visitors from all over the world with its warm weather, beautiful beaches, and laid-back lifestyle.
Goa is also home to many historical and religious sites, including the Basilica of Bom Jesus, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and the Se Cathedral, which is said to be the largest church in Asia.
Below are some important facts to remember about Goa:
• Goa is situated on the Konkan region of India.
• Goa is a former Portuguese province. Goa joins to Indian in 1961 along with Daman, and Diu as union territory.
• On 30 May 1987, the union territory was split, and Goa was made India's twenty-fifth state.
• Goa shares its boundary with Karnataka to the east and south, Maharashtra to the north and Arabian Sea in west.
• It is India's smallest state by area and the fourth smallest by population.
• The state of Goa covers an area of 3,702 sq. km.
• Total population of Goa according to 2011 census is around 14 Lakhs. The density of population per sq km in Goa is 364.
• Panaji is the capital city of Goa. Vasco da Gama is the largest city in the state.
• Goa's main rivers are Mandovi, Zuari, Terekhol, Chapora kushavati river and the Sal.
• The whole Goa is divided in two districts, North Goa and South Goa.
• The literacy rate in Goa is 80 per cent.
• At present, Marathi and Konkani are two major languages of Goa. English is widely used in writing and conversation.
• Iron ore, manganese, ferro-manganese, bauxite etc are some of the major minerals found in Goa. Iron and manganese mining industries are the backbone of Goa’s economy.
• Tourism also plays a great role in the Economy of Goa. Goa is India's richest state with a GDP per capita. Goa is a popular tourist spot across the traveler all over the world.
• Beaches, Basilica of Born Jesus, the Convent and Church of St. Francis of Assisi, Cenotaph of Dona Catarinaare are some of the major tourist attraction in Goa.
|Ruby Throated Yellow Bulbul
|Matti Terminalia crenulata