• Andaman and Nicobar are a group of islands located on the Bay of Bengal.
• The territory was formed on 1st November in 1956.
• Total area of the Andaman and Nicobar is 8,249 square km. There are total 572 islands in the territory out of which 34 are permanently inhabited.
• Port Blair is the capital city of the territory.
• Total population of the state is 3.8 lakhs while the density is 46 per square km.
• The Andaman and Nicobar are separated by the Ten Degree Channel which is 150 Kms. wide.
• Administratively, Andaman and Nicobar Islands is divided into three districts.
• The literacy rate in the islands is 86.27%.
• During the British ruling in India, the islands of Andaman and Nicobar became infamous as the 'Kalapani' where freedom fighters were kept separately from the mainland of India.
• The economy of the state depends mainly on agriculture and tourism.
• Hindi and English are the official language of Andaman and Nicobar.
• Cellular Jail, Ross Island, Viper Island, Hopetown etc are the main tourist attraction in the territory.
|Animal||Dugong sea cow|
|Bird||Andaman wood pigeon|