Current Affairs, April 2016
30th April, Current Affairs:
• The fifth phase of the West Bengal Assembly election held today for 53
constituencies across the state.
• Supeme Courts denies extending more the date for converting diesel car to CNG cars in Delhi-NCR which means that all Diesel cabs in Delhi will go off roads from 1st May, 2016.
• NDRF team sent to Uttarakhand after massive forest fire covers more than 890.79 hectares of forest land in Kumaon and Garhwal.
29th April, Current Affairs:
• The Union Government has decided to increase the interest rate of Provident Fund to 8.8 per cent for the year 2015-16.
27th April, Current Affairs:
• ISRO today launch its seventh and final GPS satellite IRNSS-1G from PSLV C33 rocket from the launch pad in Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota near Chennai.
26th April, Current Affairs:
• Meeting held between Indian Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar and his
Pakistani counterpart Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry in New Delhi to improve
relationship between two countries.
• In a massive fire last night, National Museum of Natural History building in Delhi completely destroyed.
• Government made it compulsory for every cell phone sold in India from next year onwards to have to "a panic button". It will be configured either in the numbers 5 or 9 on the keypad of basic phones.
25th April, Current Affairs:
• The second part of the Budget session starts from today.
• British Astronaut Tim Peake of the European Space Agency creates new World Record of running Marathon in Space.
• World Health Organization declares Europe as the first Malaria free zone. Europe had become the first region to report zero cases of malaria in 2015.
23rd April, Current Affairs:
• President Pranab Mukherjee nominated six eminent personalities,
Subramanian Swamy, Narendra Jadhav, Navjot Singh Sidhu, Suresh Gopi, Swapan
Dasgupta and Mary Kom to Rajya Sabha after recommendation of the Union
• Bollywood actor Salman Khan named as Goodwill Ambassador for the Indian contingent at the Rio Olympics.
• Bollywood Actor Manoj Bajpayee will be honored with Dadasaheb Phalke Foundation Award for the film Aligarh.
22nd April, Current Affairs:
• Earth Day is celebrated today across the globe with the theme "Trees
for the Earth. Let’s get planting."
• Famous musician Prince had died at his home in Minnesota at the age of 57.
21st April, Current Affairs:
• Uttarakhand High Court put an end to President's Rule on the State and
ask State Govt to floor test on April 29.
• Third phase of the Assembly election concluded today in West Bengal for 62 seats.
• Anti-slavery crusader Harriet Tubman will become the first African-American on the face of US paper currency as she will replaces former President Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill.
20th April, Current Affairs:
• Rahul Johri appointed as the first Chief Executive Officer of the Board of Control for Cricket in India.
18th April, Current Affairs:
• Dipa Karmakar created history by becoming the first Indian woman
gymnast to qualify for the Olympics.
• Sikkim Governor Shrinvas Patil formally inaugurated Supercomputer named ‘Param Kanchenjunga’ at the National Institute of Technology (NIT) Sikkim.
• Geeta Johri appointed as first woman Director General of Police (DGP) of Gujarat.
• Australia wins the 25th Sultan Azlan Shah Cup after defeating India by 4-0 in the final held in Malaysia.
17th April, Current Affairs:
• Second phase assembly election held in West Bengal for 56 Assembly
• 77 people killed in a 7.8 magnitude earthquake that struck off Ecuador's Pacific coast.
16th April, Current Affairs:
• 32 people died and more than 1500 injured in Japan after a 7.3 magnitude earthquake hit in the Kumamoto region on the southwestern island of Kyushu.
15th April, Current Affairs:
• India and France finalized the deal of 36 Rafale Jet for 7.8 billion
• Delhi implements the second phase of odd-even vehicle rule for next 15 days.
• India reaches the final of Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey tournament after defeating Malaysia by 6-1.
• Real Madrid, Manchester City, Atletico Madrid and Bayern Munich reach the semifinals of Champions League.
14th April, Current Affairs:
• Ambedkar Jayanti is celebrated across India on the birthday of Dr
Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar.
• Baisakhi and Rongali Bihu are celebrated in different parts of India.
13th April, Current Affairs:
• In a rule by Bombay High Court, it ordered to withdraw IPL matches in
Maharashtra after 30th April due to drought in the state.
• The Haryana Government renamed Gurgaon city as Gurugram and its neighboring district Mewat as Nuh.
• A 6.8 magnitude earthquake hit the eastern part of India.
• India has successfully tested long range submarine-launched ballistic missile, codenamed K-4 which can strike targets up to 3,500 kilometers.
• Viswanathan Anand conferred with the Hridaynath Mangeskar Award 2016 by the Governor of Maharashtra.
12th April, Current Affairs:
• India has agreed for one-time clearance to US warships and aircraft can refuel and restock water, food, and other supplies at Indian bases.
11th April, Current Affairs:
• 10 People died and 20 were injured when a high voltage cable fell on a
group of protesters in Pengiri Police Station in Tinsukia district, Assam
after police firing.
• 2nd phase of the Assembly election held today in 61 constituency of Assam and 31 constituency of West Bengal.
• Lee Chong Wei wins the Malaysia Open 2016 men's singles title after defeating China’s Chen Long by 21-13, 21-8.
10th April, Current Affairs:
• 106 people died and more than 350 were injured when a fire had broken
out during a fireworks display at the Puttingal temple in Kerala.
• The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William and Kate Middleton arrive in India today.
• Priyadarshini Chatterjee from Delhi wins the Femina Miss India World crown this year.
9th April, Current Affairs:
• Mother Teresa has been posthumously conferred with the UK's prestigious
Founders Award 2016.
• Indian Premier League 9 season starts from today.
7th April, Current Affairs:
• World Health Day observed today.
• Education Ministry takes decision to raise the IIT annual fees from Rs. 90,000 to Rs. 2 lakh per year.
• Nguyen Xuan Phuc elected as the new Prime Minister of Vietnam.
5th April, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Stand Up India Scheme in Noida,
UP to promote entrepreneurship among Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribes and
• Chief Minister Nitish Kumar declares Bihar as dry state from today with banned on the sale of any type of liquor in the state. Bihar has become the fourth state after Gujarat, Mizoram and Nagaland to completely ban the sale of alcohol.
• India's fastest train Gatimaan Express made its debut run from Delhi today. The train will run at a speed of 160 kmph and will cover 188 km, the distance between Delhi and Agra in 100 minutes.
• Reserve Bank of India cuts repo rate by 25 basis points.
4th April, Current Affairs:
• First phase of voting in the 18 constituencies of West Bengal and 65
constituencies of Assam held today for the State Assembly Election.
• PDP leader Mehbooba Mufti sworn in as the first woman Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir.
• Human Resource Ministry ranked IIT Madras as the best engineering college in India. IIT Mumbai and IIT Kharagpur are placed as second and third best engineering colleges in India.IIM Bangalore tops the list of best management institutes.
• Philippines launched world’s first public immunization programme for dengue fever.
• Virat Kohli named as the captain of the ICC's Team of the Tournament for WT20.
3rd April, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi today conferred with Saudi Arabia's
highest civilian honour- the King Abdulaziz Sash by King Salman bin
Abdulaziz at the Royal Court.
• West Indies defeat England by four wickets to win their second T20 world cup in Kolkata.
• West Indies defeat Australia by eight wickets to win their maiden title at the ICC Women's World Twenty20 in Kolkata.
• Indian badminton player Saina Nehwal defeated by Li Xuerui of China by 22-20, 17-21, 21-19 at the India Open semi-finals.
2nd April, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrives in Saudi Arabia on two-day visit.
1st April, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrives in USA for Nuclear Security
• From now onwards, all tobacco products will have to pictorial warnings that cover 85% of tobacco packs.