Current Affairs, August 2016
31st August, Current Affairs:
• Union Cabinet approves a bill under which foreign investment of at least Rs. 10 crore in India will make investor eligible for Indian residency status.
30th August, Current Affairs:
• India and the United States signed on an agreement that will increase
the military cooperation between two countries.
• Yogeshwar Dutt who had won bronze medal at London 2012 Olympics has been upgraded to silver after second-place finisher Besik Kudukhov's sample from the Games tested positive for a banned substance.
28th August, Current Affairs:
• The Indian space agency ISRO tested indigenously-developed supersonic combustion ramjet engine from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota. This new rocket engine which could bring down launch costs by up to 10-fold.
27th August, Current Affairs:
• Indian ODI captain MS Dhoni becomes the most experienced captain with 325 matches across all formats of the game.
25th August, Current Affairs:
• Janmashtami festival is being celebrated across India.
24th August, Current Affairs:
• Surrogacy Bill, 2016 which aims to safeguard the rights of surrogate
mothers and make parentage of such children legal was cleared by the Union
• Indian woman wrestler Sakshi Malik will be the new brand ambassador for the 'Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao' campaign in Haryana.
22nd August, Current Affairs:
• Indian sports player Pusarla Venkata Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Dipa
Karmakar and Jitu Rai have been conferred with the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna
awards. Six coach has been awarded with the Dronacharya Awards.
• The 2016 Summer Olympics concluded with a ceremony held at the Maracana Stadium, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Sakshi Malik was the Indian flag bearer in the closing ceremony.
• United State tops the medal table in the 2016 Rio Olympic with a total of 121 medals. Next two positions are held by Great Britain and China respectively.
• The Minister of Culture and Communication, France selected Kamal Haasan for the Chevalier de l'Ordre des Arts et Lettres (Knight in the National Order Arts and Letters).
21st August, Current Affairs:
• Indo-Canadian Sikh MP Bardish Chagger becomes the first woman in Canada to hold the post of Leader of the government in Canada's House of Commons.
20th August, Current Affairs:
• The Union Government appointed deputy governor Urjit Patel as the next
Governor of Reserve Bank for a three-year term. He is presently in charge of
monetary policy at the Reserve Bank of India.
• Usain Bolt wins the third gold at the 2016 Rio Olympics in 100m, 200m and 4x100m men's relay titles. He completed this achievement for a three consecutive Olympic events.
19th August, Current Affairs:
• PV Sindhu wins the Silver medal after defeated by Carolina Marin of
Spain by 21-19, 12-21, 15-21 in the final of Rio Olympic badminton. PV
Sindhu is the first Indian women shuttler to reach the final of the
badminton in Olympics.
• India wrestler Narsingh Yadav has been banned for four-year by Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS).
• Barcelona beats Sevilla by 3-0 to win the Spanish Super Cup.
18th August, Current Affairs:
• Sakshi Malik became India's first woman wrestler to win an Olympics medal when she wins bronze medal in the women's 58kg freestyle event at Rio Olympics.
17th August, Current Affairs:
• Former Union Minister Najma Heptulla appointed as Governor of Manipur,
while ex-Rajya Sabha MP VP Singh Badnore appointed as Governor of Punjab.
Banwarilal Purohit will be the new Governor of Assam.
• India has been ranked the world's top exporter of information and communication technology in a UN agency report.
• Former FIFA President Joao Havelange passed away at the age of 100 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
16th August, Current Affairs:
• China launched the world's first quantum satellite named Quantum Experiments at Space Scaler (QUESS) satellite.
15th August, Current Affairs:
• India celebrates 70th Independence Day.
• Jamaican Usain Bolt won the men's 100m race in Rio Olympics with 9.81 seconds. Bolt is the first athlete to win the 100m gold at three straight Olympics.
• Andy Murray became the first player to win two Olympic tennis singles gold medals after defeating Juan Martin del Potro by 7-5, 4-6, 6-2, 7-5.
14th August, Current Affairs:
• President Pranab Mukherjee addresses the nation on the eve of the 70th
• A total of 948 central and state forces police personnel were awarded gallantry and other service medals on the eve of Independence Day.
• Michael Phelps ends his career with a total of 23 gold medals in the Olympic Games. He has clinched a total of 28 Olympic medals which makes him one of the greatest Olympian of all times.
13th August, Current Affairs:
• The Assam Assembly passed a resolution to become the first state to
give formal consent to The Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill, 2014.
• Lalita Babar of India breaks the national record of 3000m steeplechase with 9 minutes, 19.76 seconds at the 2016 Rio Olympics. She also becomes the first Indian to reach the final of a track event at the Olympics in 32 years.
12th August, Current Affairs:
• Michael Phelps became the first swimmer ever to win four consecutive golds in the same event. He reaches the achievement after winning his fourth consecutive 200m individual medley Olympic title in Rio.
11th August, Current Affairs:
• Legendary Pakistan Test batsman Hanif Mohammad passed away at a Karachi hospital at the age of 81.
10th August, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated the first 1,000 MW unit of
Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP) to the service of the nation.
• American swimmer Michael Phelps wins his first gold medal in in the 4 × 100 m freestyle relay in Rio Olympics, his 19th Olympic gold medal overall.
9th August, Current Affairs:
• Manipuri human right activist Irom Sharmila who is on hunger strike
from last 16 years in protest against alleged army atrocities ends fast.
• American swimmer Katie Ledecky set a new world record to fetch gold in the women's 400 metres freestyle at the Rio Olympics.
8th August, Current Affairs:
• The Lok Sabha has unanimously passed a constitution amendment bill that
enables Goods and Services Tax bill or GST.
• Gymnast Dipa Karmakar becomes the first Indian to qualify for the individual vault finals.
• 75th anniversary of the quit India movement is being observed.
6th August, Current Affairs:
• American shooter Virginia Thrasher wins the first gold medal of 2016 Rio Games.
5th August, Current Affairs:
• Senior Gujarat BJP leader Vijay Rupani will be the next Chief Minister
of Gujarat while Nitin Patel elected as deputy Chief Minister.
• Rio Olympics 2016 starts from today. More than 11,000 athletes from 206 countries will take part in this mega event.
4th August, Current Affairs:
• The 23rd Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award will be given to Shubha
• Communist Party of Nepal-Maoist Chairperson (CPN-MC) Pushpa Kamal Dahal 'Prachanda' was elected the 39th Prime Minister of Nepal.
3rd August, Current Affairs:
• The Rajya Sabha passes the Goods and Services Tax (GST) bill
• West Bengal Cabinet cleared a proposal to rename the state as “Bengal” in English and “Bango” or “Bangla” in Bengali.
1st August, Current Affairs:
• Anandiben Patel resigns as Chief Minister of Gujarat.
• The National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) gave Narsingh Yadav a clean chit from doping to participate in the 74 kg freestyle category at the 2016 Summer Games in Rio.
• Railway Minister flagged off maiden train service between Agartala and Delhi named ‘Tripura Sundari Express’.