Current Affairs, February 2016
Home⇒Current Affairs⇒Current Affairs, February-2016
29th February, Current Affairs:
• Finance Minister Arun Jaitley present the budget for the year 2016-17
with no change in income tax slabs.
• The 88th Academy Awards ceremony took place at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood. Spotlight wins the best picture Oscar award, while Alejandro González Iñárritu wins best Director award for The Revenant. Leonardo DiCaprio and Brie Larson win the Best Actor and Actress award respectively. For complete list click Here.
• IPS officer Alok Kumar Verma today took charge as the new Commissioner of Delhi Police who will succeeds BS Bassi.
• National Science day is observed today in India.
28th February, Current Affairs:
• Former auditor Vinod Rai appointed as the chairman of the Banks Board Bureau which is created to help banks in India to tide over the crisis created by bad loans.
27th February, Current Affairs:
• Gianni Infantino was elected as the President of FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) in Zurich.
26th February, Current Affairs:
• As per the new norms of the Employees' Provident Fund Organisation
(EPFO), the subscribers now can claim withdrawal of their provident fund
after attaining age of 57 years which was previously 54 years.
• Mumbai wins the Ranji Trophy for 41st time after defeating Saurashtra in the final by an inning and 21 runs in Pune.
25th February, Current Affairs:
• Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu presented the Railway budget for 2016-17 in the Parliament. Four new trains introduced in the budget - Humsafar, Tejas, Uday and Antyodaya. Also 33 percent quota for women in reserved quota in Railways will be introduced. The Railway Minister also said porters in Railway stations would now be called "Sahayaks" or helpers instead of coolie.
24th February, Current Affairs:
• 23 people died after a small passenger plane crash in Nepal.
• The Parliament of Pakistan became the first Parliament in world to run fully on solar power.
23rd February, Current Affairs:
• President Pranab Mukherjee addresses a joint sitting of both houses of
the Parliaments at the start of the Budget session.
• At least 29 people killed in Fiji by Tropical Cyclone Winston.
22th February, Current Affairs:
• Indian-origin Sikh Amar Singh appointed as the Police Commissioner of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
20th February, Current Affairs:
• Army has been deployed after four people died in violance-hit districts
of Haryana after Jat community protester over reservation.
• Brendon McCullum scores the fastest Test century in 54 balls breaking the record which was jointly held by Sir Vivian Richards of West Indies and Misbah-ul-Haq of Pakistan of 56 balls. He scores the century in the second Test against Australia in Christchurch. He also breaks the records of most number of sixes in test career with 106 sixes in 101 matches.
19th February, Current Affairs:
• Former Congress leader Kalikho Pul has taken oath as Arunachal Pradesh chief minister after President Rule was lifted by the Union Government and Supreme Court.
18th February, Current Affairs:
• Union Human Resources Development Ministry in a meeting with
vice-chancellors of 46 central universities, decided make mandatory to
flying the national flag in all central universities in the country.
• Supreme Court clears the government formation in Arunachal Pradesh.
17th February, Current Affairs:
• India successfully test fired its indigenously developed Prithvi-II
missile from the Chandipur, Odisha.
• Former United Nations Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali died at the age of 93 in Cairo, Egypt.
16th February, Current Affairs:
• NDA wins 7 out of 12 seats in the by-polls election held in eight
• The 58th Grammy Awards were given to the winners. 1989 by Taylor Swift selected as the Album of the Year.
• The South Asian Games 2016 concluded today in Guwahati. India leads in the medals tally with a total of 308 medals in the competition.
15th February, Current Affairs:
• The Union Government released the list of 73 cleanest cities of the country on cleanliness and sanitation. The Mysuru city has topped the list.
14th February, Current Affairs:
• Valentine's Day is observed across the World.
• West Indies wins the Under-19 ICC Cricket World Cup after defeating India in the final by 5 wickets in the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium in Dhaka.
• India wins the three match T20 series against Sri Lanka by 2-1.
13th February, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the 'Make in India Week' in
the National Sports Club of India in Mumbai's Worli.
• Two army personnel and five terrorists were killed during an encounter in Jammu and Kashmir's Kupwara district.
12th February, Current Affairs:
• Physicists at LIGO announced that gravitational waves have been
detected which will help to understand how the Universe is shaped by mass.
• The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) banned Pakistani umpire Asad Rauf for his involvement in the 2013 IPL spot-fixing scandal.
11th February, Current Affairs:
• Lance Naik Hanamanthappa Koppad died in RR Hospital Delhi, four days
after he was discovered alive under 25 feet of ice at the Siachen glacier.
• Australia appointed Indian-origin Harinder Sidhu as the country's next High Commissioner to India.
• Facebook shutdown its free basic projects after TRAI's ruling that favour of net neutrality in India.
8th February, Current Affairs:
• The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India's (TRAI) today published the
Prohibition of Discriminatory Tariffs for Data Services Regulations, 2016
which favours net neutrality. It also disallows service providers to offer
or charge discriminatory tariffs for data services on the basis of content
being accessed by a consumer.
• India's GDP grows 7.3 per cent in December quarter.
7th February, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi today inaugurated the IOCL's oil refinery
at Paradip and also inaugurated the National Institute of Science Education
and Research (NISER) in Jatani, Bhubaneswar.
• The ICC suspended Pakistan legspinner Yasir Shah for three months after tested positive for banned substance.
6th February, Current Affairs:
• International Fleet Review 2016 (IFR 2016) took place in Visakhapatnam
coast from today.
• Indian Premier League auction for 2016 took place today. Shane Watson received the highest bid with 9.5 cores.
• Famous cartoonist Sudhir Tailang died at the age of 56 in Delhi after suffering from a brain tumour.
5th February, Current Affairs:
• 37 passengers died after bus falls into a river in Navsari near Surat.
• BCCI today selected 15 member Indian cricket Team for World Cup T20 under MS Dhoni's captaincy.
• The XII South Asian Games inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Guwahati today. The Game will be end on 16th February and host by Guwahati and Shillong jointly. Eight countries participate on the event.
4th February, Current Affairs:
• Government today confirmed the death of 10 Army personnel after buried
under snow after being hit by an avalanche on Wednesday in Siachen Glacier.
• World Cancer Day (WCD) observed today with this year’s theme 'We can. I can'.
2nd February, Current Affairs:
• WHO issues preventive measures against Zika virus for South-East Asian
• IPS officer Archana Ramasundram appointed as the Director General of the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) and became the first woman to head a paramilitary force.
• Pep Guardiola has been appointed the new manager at Manchester City F.C. from next season.
1st February, Current Affairs:
• At least 10 college students of Abeda Inamdar College died when drowned in the Arabian Sea at Murud Beach in Raigad district, Maharashtra.