Current Affairs, February 2017
28th February, Current Affairs:
• A 7 per cent GDP growth recorded in the October-December quarter.
• Manchester United defeated Southampton by 3-2 to win the EFL Cup 2016-17.
27th February, Current Affairs:
• The 89th Academy Awards are announced today. Moonlight wins the Best Picture award this year. Emma Stone wins the Best Actress award for La La Land. Casey Affleck wins the Best Actor Oscar award for Manchester By The Sea.
26th February, Current Affairs:
• According to New World Wealth report, India's financial capital Mumbai is the richest Indian city with a total wealth of $820 billion. Delhi and Bengaluru are the second and third richest cities in India.
24th February, Current Affairs:
• Mahashivaratri is being celebrated in India.
• Ravichandran Ashwin broke Kapil Dev's 37-year-old record of most wickets in home season. He took 64 wickets in 10 test matches while Kapil Dev took 63 wickets in 13 matches.
23rd February, Current Affairs:
• Astronomers with the help of NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope have found
at least seven Earth-sized planets orbiting the same star 40 light-years
away. Three of these planets are firmly located in the habitable zone, the
area around the parent star where a rocky planet is most likely to have
liquid water. Because they are located outside of our solar system, these
planets are scientifically known as exoplanets. This exoplanet system is
called TRAPPIST-1, named for The Transiting Planets and Planetesimals Small
Telescope (TRAPPIST) in Chile.
• 24 eminent authors were conferred with the Sahitya Akademi Award 2019 for the most outstanding books of literary published in any of the 22 official Indian languages.
22nd February, Current Affairs:
• Shurhozelie Liezietsu took oath as the 11th Chief Minister of Nagaland.
20th February, Current Affairs:
• Afghanistan's Mohammad Nabi becomes the first Afghan cricketer to include in the Indian Premier League after he was sold to Sunrisers Hyderabad in IPL auction.
16th February, Current Affairs:
• Edappadi Palaniswami took oath as the new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
15th February, Current Affairs:
• India's space agency ISRO launched a record 104 satellites on a single
rocket from the Sriharikota spaceport in Andhra Pradesh. In about 18
minutes, all 104 satellites were released into space.
• The assembly elections held today in Uttarakhand with 68 per cent polling. Also the second phase assembly election held today in Uttar Pradesh.
13th February, Current Affairs:
• The 59th edition of Grammy Awards ceremony held in Staples Center, Los
Angeles. Adele's album, 25 wins the Album of the Year award.
• The 70th British Academy Film Awards held at the Royal Albert Hall in London. Damien Chazelle's "La La Land" wins most of the awards.
12th February, Current Affairs:
• The Hindustan Motors sells its iconic brand car Ambassador to European
auto major Peugeot for Rs 80 crore.
• Ravichandran Ashwin became the fastest bowler to reach 250 wickets in Test match history. He surpassed Australian legend Dennis Lillee's record by taking 45 matches to reach the landmark.
• India beat Pakistan to win the T20 World Cup for Blind.
11th February, Current Affairs:
• Voting is being held in 73 assembly constituencies in Uttar Pradesh in
the first of seven phases elections in the state.
• India successfully tested PDV (Prithvi Defence Vehicle) interceptor missile that can hit an incoming ballistic missile from Abdul Kalam Island (Wheeler Island) off Odisha.
10th February, Current Affairs:
• India's first National Women's Parliament began in Amaravati, Andhra
• Indian Captain Virat Kohli became the first batsman in Test history to score a double century in four consecutive series. He surpasses the records of Sir Don Bradman and Rahul Dravid, who had a double ton in three successive series.
• India became the first team in cricket history to score 600-plus in 3 successive Tests innings after scoring 687 runs in the first innings against Bangladesh.
8th February, Current Affairs:
• RBI raises weekly cash withdrawal limit to Rs. 50,000 a week from
February 20th. From March 13th, there will be no limit for withdrawal.
• Sourabh Verma and Rituparna Das won the men's single and women's singles title in the 81st Senior National Badminton Championships tournament in Patna, Bihar.
6th February, Current Affairs:
• Qatar Airways makes the world's longest commercial flight after its flight landed in New Zealand. The Doha-Auckland service covers 14,535 kilometres (9,032 miles).
5th February, Current Affairs:
• India defeated New Zealand 4-1 to enter the second round of Davis Cup Group 1 Asia/Oceania.
4th February, Current Affairs:
• Assembly election voting for Punjab and Goa had concluded today.
• World Cancer Day 2017 observed today globally.
3rd February, Current Affairs:
• Praveen Mahajan elected unopposed as the president of the All India Tennis Association (AITA).
2nd February, Current Affairs:
• Former Chelsea and England footballer Frank Lampard retires from football. He had 106 appearances for England's national team.
1st February, Current Affairs:
• Finance Minister Arun Jaitley presents the budget in Parliament. The
total expenditure of the budget is Rs. 21.47 lakh crore. Income tax for
persons who earn between 2.5 to 5 lakh has been cut from 10% to 5%.
Transactions above Rs. 3 lakh will not be allowed in cash after 1st April.
• For the first time, Union Finance Minister presented the combined budget of Independent India including the Railways in Union Budget 2017-2018.
• India wins three match T20 series against England by 2-1.