Current Affairs, February 2019
Home⇒Current Affairs⇒Current Affairs, February-2019
19th February, Current Affairs:
• The creative director of Chanel and Fashion icon Karl Lagerfeld died at the age of 85 in American Hospital located outside of Paris.
16th February, Current Affairs:
• Ranji Trophy champions Vidarbha won
the Irani Cup against Rest of India at the Vidarbha Cricket Association
Stadium in Jamtha, Nagpur.
• Sourabh Verma completed a hat-trick of titles at the Senior Badminton Nationals Men's Single after defeating Lakshya Sen by 21-18 21-13 in Guwahati.
• Saina Nehwal wins the 83rd Senior Badminton Nationals Women's Single after defeating P.V. Sindhu by 21-18, 21-15 in Guwahati.
15th February, Current Affairs:
• India's first semi-high speed train
Vande Bharat Express flagged off by Prime Minister Narendra Modi from the
New Delhi railway station.
• India has withdrawn the Most Favoured Nation status granted to Pakistan following the Pulwama terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir.
• William Barr was sworn for second time as United States’s Attorney General.
• Flight Lieutenant Hina Jaiswal becomes the first woman flight engineer after she completed the six-month IAF's engineering branch course at 112 Helicopter Unit, Air Force Station Yelahanka.
14th February, Current Affairs:
• 40 Central Reserve Police Force
(CRPF) personnel were killed and many others injured when terrorists
targeted a convoy with a car bomb at Awantipora in Jammu and Kashmir's
• Sushil Chandra, Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) Chairman, appointed as an Election Commissioner by President Ram Nath Kovind.
13th February, Current Affairs:
• The CAG Report - Air Force,
Performance Audit on Capital Expenditure in Indian Air Force was tabled in
both the Houses of Parliament today. As per reported, the NDA government’s
contract for procurement of 36 Rafale aircraft from France was cheaper by
2.86 per cent as compared to the previous UPA dispensation deal for the
• The last session of the sixteenth Lok Sabha came to an end today.
• World Radio Day is observed today.
12th February, Current Affairs:
• Seventeen people were killed and six
injured in a fire at a central Delhi hotel.
• Indian historian Sanjay Subrahmanyam has won prestigious Dan David Prize of Israel for the year 2019.
11th February, Current Affairs:
• Abu Dhabi has included Hindi as the
third official language used in its courts, alongside Arabic and English, as
part of a move designed to improve access to justice.
• Lok Sabha passed the Interim Budget with voice vote.
8th February, Current Affairs:
• Indian batsman Rohit Sharma becomes the highest run-getter in T20 internationals. The 31-year-old went past New Zealand's Martin Guptill during the second T20I against New Zealand at the Eden Park in Auckland to go to the top of the list.
7th February, Current Affairs:
• The Monetary Policy Committee headed
by Reserve Bank of India Governor Shaktikanta Das, today announced a
reduction in policy repo rate by 25 basis points from 6.5 per cent to 6.25
per cent with immediate effect.
• Vidarbha lifted their second successive Ranji Trophy title after defeating Saurashtra by 78-run in the final.
6th February, Current Affairs:
• President Ram Nath Kovind gave away
the prestigious Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards 2017 at Rashtrapati Bhawan.
Forty-two artists from the fields including Music, Dance, Theatre,
Traditional, Folk, and Tribal music were awarded.
• India’s communication satellite GSAT-31 has been launched successfully from French Guiana. GSAT-31 will provide transponder capacity for DTH television and connectivity to services like VSATs for ATMs, stock-exchanges, Digital Satellite News Gathering DSNG and e-governance applications.
4th February, Current Affairs:
• World Cancer Day is being observed
• Pope Francis landed in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), on a historic visit, becoming the first pontiff to visit the Arabian peninsula.
3rd February, Current Affairs:
• In Bihar, six people were killed and
36 injured three of them seriously, after eleven bogies of Seemanchal
Express derailed at Hajipur.
• India defeated New Zealand by 35 runs in the fifth and final One Day International at the Westpac Stadium to clinch the five-match series 4-1.
2nd February, Current Affairs:
• Former Madhya Pradesh Director General of Police Rishi Kumar Shukla, a 1983-batch officer, has been appointed the new CBI Director.
1st February, Current Affairs:
• Union minister Piyush Goyal presented
the Interim Budget in parliament today. The Budget provides relief to
individuals in Income tax by doubling the threshold exemption limit to five
lakh rupees. Standard deduction for exemption has been increased from Rs.
40,000 to Rs. 50,000 for the salaried class. The limit for gratuity has been
increased from Rs. 10 lakh to Rs. 20 lakh. Farmers with less than 2 Hectare
land will be given 6,000 rupees per year as direct transfer. The scheme will
benefit 12 crore farmers and will be implemented from this fiscal itself.
• India's One-day International (ODI) captain Mithali Raj, became the first woman to play 200 50-over matches when she walked out for the toss against New Zealand Women in Hamilton.
• Qatar beat Japan 3-1 to win their maiden Asian Cup crown in Abu Dhabi.