Current Affairs, January 2016
31st January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• India wins the T20 series against Australia by 3-0.
• Novak Djokovic beats Andy Murray by 6-1, 7-5, 7-6 (3) to win sixth the Australian Open title at Melbourne Park.
30th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• India observed Martyrs' Day on 68th death anniversary of Mahatma
• Angelique Kerber of Germany defeated Serena Williams by 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 to wins the 2016 Australian Open Women's final.
29th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• Top seeds Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis wins the Australian Open after
defeated Czech duo of Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Hradecka by 7-6 (7-1) 6-3
in the women's doubles final.
• From February 15, a person can book only a maximum of six instead of presently allocated ten railway tickets online per month.
• IPS officer Dutta Padasalgikar will replace Ahmad Javed as Mumbai Police Commissioner on January 30.
28th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• The Union Government today named 20 cities that are selected for 'Smart
Cities' project. The cities chosen are Bhubaneswar, Pune, Jaipur, Surat,
Kochi, Ahmedabad, Jabalpur, Visakhapatnam, Solapur, Davangere, Indore, the
New Delhi area, Coimbatore, Kakinada, Belgaum, Udaipur, Guwahati, Chennai,
Ludhiana and Bhopal.
• Assam Regiment has been adjudged the best marching contingent in the services category in the 67th Republic Day parade at the Rajpath.
• Australian batsman David Warner wins the prestigious Allan Border Medal and best Test Player of the Year Award for Australia.
26th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• India celebrates 67th Republic Day.
• This year French President Francois Hollande takes part in the Republic Day parade as the Chief Guest.
• French Army becomes the first foreign army to participate in the Republic Day parade.
• President's rule has been imposed in Arunachal Pradesh.
25th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• 6th National Voters’ Day (NVD) was observed across the country
• President Pranab Mukherjee address the nation on the eve of Republic Day.
• List of 112 Padma awardees names were announced by the Government of India. Eminent personalities from different fields like public service, sports and entertainment will be awarded with the Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri awards. The Padma Vibhushan awardees for this year are : Yamini Krishnamurthi (Art- Classical dance), Rajinikanth (Art-Cinema), Girija Devi(Art-Classical), Ramoji Rao (Literature & Education-Journalism), Dr. Viswanathan Shanta(Medicine- Oncology), Ravi Shankar (Spiritualism), Jagmohan (Public Affairs), Vasudev Kalkunte Aatre (Science & Engineering), Avinash Dixit (Literature & Education) and Dhiru Bhai Ambani (Trade & Industry).
• First all women two-wheeler public transportation service in India starts in Gurgaon.
• India and France has signed a deal of Rs 60,000 crore agreement to purchase 36 Rafale fighter jets from France.
24th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• Amit Shah re-elected as the President of the BJP party for second time.
• French President Francois Hollande who will be chief guest at India's Republic Day celebration, arrived in India for a three-day official visit.
• The Union Cabinet recommended imposition of President's Rule in Arunachal Pradesh.
• Indian Shuttler PV Sindhu won the Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold Badminton title defeating Scotland's Kirsty Gilmour by 21-15, 21-9.
23rd January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• Union Government declassify 100 secret files of Netaji Subhas Chandra
Bose on his 119th birth anniversary.
• India lost the 5 match ODI series against Australia by 4-1.
• West Indies batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul announces his retirement from all forms of International Cricket.
22nd January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• Google India and RailTel starts free public wi-fi internet service in India with first service in the Mumbai Central station.
21th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• Bollywood Actors Amitabh Bachchan and Priyanka Chopra appointed as the
new ambassadors of the Incredible India campaign.
• Uttar Pradesh wins the Mushtaq Ali T20 Trophy after defeating Baroda by 38 runs in the final played at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai.
• Legendary bharatanatyam dancer and Padma Bhushan recipent Mrinalini Sarabhai died at the age of 97 in Ahmedabad.
20th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• ISRO successfully launched India's fifth navigation satellite, the
IRNSS-1E to the space, for home-grown Global Positioning System.
• 25 killed in Bacha Khan University in the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province in Pakistan after terrorists attack the University.
19th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• Sikkim is declared as the first fully organic state of India. The official announcement is made by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his visit to the state.
18th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• Social app WhatsApp removing the yearly nominal as subscription fee
making it completely free for use.
• West Indies batsman Chris Gayle equals the record of Yuvraj Singh after scoring fastest fify in 12 balls in Big Bash Twenty20.
• BCCI's three-member committee has banned former Rajasthan Royals' cricketer Ajit Chandila for life and another Mumbai player Hiken Shah for five years on spot-fixing charges.
17th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• Virat Kohli became the fastest to scores 24 hundreds and 7,000 runs in one-day cricket in his 161st innings after scoring a century against Australia in Melbourne.
16th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced opening app-based registration
for companies to be completed in a single day and there will be no income
tax on startups' profits for three years.
• Filmfare Awards ceremony for 2015 held in Mumbai. Ranveer Singh and Deepika Padukone win the Filmfare Best Actor and Actress Awards.
• Tsai Ing-wen elected as the first women President of Taiwan.
15th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• The 68th Indian Army Day is celebrated to commemorate the day when
Lieutenant General K. M. Cariappa took over as Commander-in-Chief of India
on January 1949.
• Makar Sankranti festival is celebrated in different parts of India.
14th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• India's Sania Mirza and Swiss Martina Hingis have created a world record with 29 successive victories as they advanced to the final of the Sydney International.
13th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• Retired Lieutenant General and former Governor of Goa and Punjab J.F.R. Jacob, a war hero of 1971 Bangladesh war died at the age of 92.
12th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• National Youth Day is celebrated across India as part of Swami
Vivekananda Jayanti celebrations.
• Barcelona forward Lionel Messi has won the Ballon d'Or award for the world's best player for the fifth time.
11th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• Legendary British singer and songwriter David Bowie died at the age of
• 73rd Golden Globe Awards given today at Los Angeles. Leonardo DiCaprio wins best actor in a drama, while The Revenant wins the Best motion picture, drama. Brie Larson wins Best performance by an actress in a motion picture, drama for the movie Room.
10th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• The 28th International Kite Festival starts at Sabarmati River front in
• The 11th World Hindi Day is celebrated across India.
9th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• India's Sania Mirza and her Swiss partner Martina Hingis wins the
Brisbane International Tennis Tournament after defeating German pair of
Angelique Kerber and Andrea Petkovic by 7-5, 6-1.
• The 14th Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD) held in New Delhi.
• New Delhi World Book Fair (NDWBF) 2016 start from today in Pragati Maidan.
8th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• The Union Government lift ban with some conditions on Jallikattu, a
traditional harvest festival during Pongal begins. This bull-taming event
was banned in 2014 by Supreme Court.
• The Union Government has appointed Amitabh Kant, secretary in the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) as full-time chief executive officer of Niti Aayog.
• RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan has been conferred with the Central Banker of the Year Award (Global and Asia Pacific) for 2016 by the Financial Times Group.
7th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• PDP leader and Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed
died at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences at the age of 79.
• Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan replaces Aamir Khan as ambassador of Incredible India.
6th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• North Korea claims that it had successfully tested a hydrogen bomb for the first time.
5th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• Pranav Dhanawade create history when he smashed an unbeaten 1009 not
out off 323 balls against Arya Gurukul School in the H.T. Bhandari Cup
inter-school cricket tournament. It is the highest individual score in all
forms of cricket.
• Real Madrid appointed former France footballer Zinedine Zidane as the coach of its Football team.
4th January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• A powerful earthquake of 6.8 magnitudes struck the north-east part of
India at 4.35 AM today morning. At least five people killed and more than
100 others injured in the earthquake.
• Four new elements added to the Periodic Table. The elements with atomic numbers 113, 115, 117 and 118, discovered by scientists in Japan, Russia and US are the first to be added to the table since 2011, when elements 114 (flerovium, or Fl) and element 116 (livermorium or Lv) were added. The periodic table now has its seventh row completed with the introduction of these four new chemical elements. The new additions were formally verified by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC).
• The Justice RM Lodha panel submits its report to Supreme Court on reformation and for better governance and management of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
• V.V.S. Laxman's innings of 281 against Australia at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata has been rated as the greatest Test performance of the last 50 years in a poll of ESPN's digital magazine.
• Indian IT Company Wipro named Abidali Z Neemuchwala as the new chief executive officer and TK Kurien as executive vice chairman.
3rd January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• India wins the SAFF Cup after defeating Afghanistan by 2-1 in the final
played at Thiruvananthapuram. Strikers Jeje Lalpekhlua and Sunil Chhetri
scored one goal each in the final.
• England all-rounder Ben Stokes scores the fastest 250 (off 196 balls) in test history and the second fastest double century (163 balls) in the second test match against South Africa in Cape Town.
2nd January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• Three Air Force men killed in a terrorist attack in Pathankot, Punjab.
Four terrorists were also killed during the operation by security forces.
• Union Government set up a committee headed by filmmaker Shyam Benegal to recommend measures holistic interpretation of the provisions of the Cinematograph Act, 1952.
• One of the senior most leader and former General Secretary of Communist Party of India (CPI), A B Bardhan died at the age of 92 in New Delhi after prolonged illness.
1st January, 2016 Current Affairs:
• New Year is celebrated across the Globe.
• Odd-even plan for cars in Delhi implemented from today.
• 1984 batch IPS officer S Javeed Ahmed appointed as new Director General of Police by Uttar Pradesh government.