Current Affairs, January 2017
30th January, Current Affairs:
• Martyrs' day is being observed today in India to marks the 69th death
anniversary of the Father of the nation Mahatma Gandhi.
• Amulya Kumar Patnaik has been appointed the Delhi Police Commissioner.
• Miss France Iris Mittenaere crowed as Miss Universe in Philippines.
• Former Comptroller and Auditor General of India Vinod Rai is appointed as the head of a four-member team of administrators who will run the Indian cricket board BCCI.
29th January, Current Affairs:
• Roger Federer defeated Rafael Nadal by 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3 in the
final of the Australian Open to win his fifth Australian Open Single title.
• Sania Mirza and Ivan Dodig lost in the Australian Open mixed doubles final by 2-6, 4-6 to Abigail Spears and Juan Sebastian Cabal.
• PV Sindhu defeated Gregoria Mariska 21-13, 21-14 in the women's singles final to win the Syed Modi International Grand Prix Gold tournament in Lucknow.
28th January, Current Affairs:
• Serena Williams beats Venus Williams to win the Australian Open Title by 6-4, 6-4. This was Serena's 23rd Grand Slam title. She broke Steffi Graf's record of 22 Major titles.
27th January, Current Affairs:
• Meghalaya Governor V Shanmuganathan resigns from his post.
26th January, Current Affairs:
• 68th Republic day is celebrated today.
• 10 Army soldiers were killed when two separate avalanches struck Jammu and Kashmir's Gurez sector.
25th January, Current Affairs:
• Union Government announced more than 100 Padma Awardees. This year's
list features eminent personalities including Olympians PV Sindhu, Sakshi
Malik, Paralympian Deepa Malik, star cricketer and former captain of the
Indian cricket team Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella,
Google chief Sundar Pichai, and Indian American governor of South Carolina,
Nikki Haley among others.
• 7th National Voters Day is being observed today.
• President Pranab Mukherjee's address to the nation on the eve of Republic Day.
• The world's tallest building Burj Khalifa tower lit up in the colours of the Indian National flag for today and tomorrow on the eve of Republic Day.
24th January, Current Affairs:
• The National Girl Child Day is observed today.
• Rest of India wins the Irani Trophy final after defeating Gujarat by 6 wickets.
22nd January, Current Affairs:
• At least 39 people were killed and 54 injured after the
Jagdalpur-Bhubaneswar Hirakhand Express derailed in Andhra Pradesh.
• Saina Nehwal wins the Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold after beating Thailand's Pornpawee Chochuwong 22-20, 22-20 in the women's singles final.
• Virat Kohli became the quickest batsman in the world to complete 1,000 runs as captain in One-Day Internationals. He took just 17 innings to get to the milestone.
• Indian wins the three matches ODI series against England by 2-1.
21st January, Current Affairs:
• Governor of Tamil Nadu has approved an ordinance by the state
government which will allow the bull-taming sport Jallikattu to be held
again in the state.
• Aamir Khan-starrer Dangal has become the first Indian film to have grossed income above Rs 375 crore from within the country.
20th January, Current Affairs:
• Donald John Trump sworn in as the 45th president of the United States.
• Dharamsala is declared as the second capital of Himachal Pradesh.
19th January, Current Affairs:
• MS Dhoni becoming only the second batsman after Sachin Tendulkar to
score 4000 ODI runs in India.
• Delhi Police Commissioner Alok Kumar Verma appointed as the Director of CBI.
• Mahendra Singh Dhoni becoming the first Indian to hit 200 ODI sixes.
• Priyanka Chopra wins second People’s Choice Award for TV series Quantico.
15th January, Current Affairs:
• The 69th Indian Army Day celebrated today.
• 24 people were killed when two country boats capsized in river Ganga near NIT ghat at Patna in Bihar.
• Aamir Khan won the Best Actor (Male) Award for Dangal and Alia Bhatt was given Best Actor (Female) Award for Udta Punjab in the 62nd edition of Filmfare Awards held in Mumbai.
14th January, Current Affairs:
• Gujarat wins their maiden Ranji Trophy title after defeating defending champions Mumbai by five wickets in Indore.
13th January, Current Affairs:
• India celebrates harvest festivals Lohri, Magh Bihu, Pongal and Makar Sankranti in different parts.
12th January, Current Affairs:
• CEO and Managing Director of Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) Natarajan
Chandrasekaran appointed as new chairman of Tata Sons.
• India's second Scorpene-class diesel-electric attack submarine Khanderi launched at Mumbai's Mazagon Dock.
• National Youth Day is celebrated today on the 154th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda.
11th January, Current Affairs:
• Anju Mangla becomes the first female superintendent of high-profile
Tihar jail in New Delhi.
• President Barack Obama made his farewell speech in Chicago.
10th January, Current Affairs:
• One of the world's oldest and most iconic web portals Yahoo now will be
known with its new name Altaba Inc.
• Mumbai become the first Indian city to have WiFi connectivity in public places. The state activated 500 hotspots across different locations.
• Portugal and Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo named FIFA's best men's footballer of 2016.
9th January, Current Affairs:
• Amir Khan’s Dangal becomes Bollywood’s highest grosser film.
• Amitabh Bachchan has been honoured by the US Embassy to acknowledge his immense contribution to the India-US ties on tuberculosis.
• Roberto Bautista Agut of Spain wins the Chennai Open after defeating Daniil Medvedev by 6-3, 6-4.
• American romantic musical comedy-drama film "La La Land" wins 7 awards in Golden Globes 2017.
6th January, Current Affairs:
• The 14th Prawasi Bharatiya Diwas began at Bengaluru.
• Bollywood actor Om Puri died of a heart attack in Mumbai at the age of 66.
5th January, Current Affairs:
• Pakistan batsman Younis Khan becomes first player to score Test
hundreds in 11 countries after scoring century on the third day of the third
Test match against Australia at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
• MS Dhoni stepped down as India's ODI and T20 skipper.
• US Army has issued a new regulation under which servicemen who wear turbans, hijabs or beards can now be enrolled in the military service.
4th January, Current Affairs:
• Election Commission today announced poll dates for 5 states - UP, Punjab, Uttarakhand, Goa and Manipur. Voting will be start from 4th February to 8th March in different days. Counting for all states will be held on March 11.
3rd January, Current Affairs:
• Mobile payment service Paytm received a formal approval from the
Reserve Bank of India to launch its Paytm Payments Bank.
• American company Apple will manufacture iPhones in India in collaboration with Taiwanese company Wistron. The factory will be establish in the Bengaluru city.
2nd January, Current Affairs:
• The Supreme Court ordered today to remove Anurag Thakur as chief of
India's cricket board BCCI for not implementing Lodha Committee
recommendation. The Supreme Court has also ordered the sacking of BCCI
secretary Ajay Shirke.
• Union Government has clarified that the service charge which ranges from 5 to 20 percent cannot be mandatorily applied by restaurants. Government says payment has to be voluntary.
• India successfully test-fired long range intercontinental surface-to-surface nuclear capable ballistic missile Agni-IV from the Abdul Kalam Wheeler Island off Odisha.
1st January, Current Affairs:
• New Year is celebrated across the World.
• 39 people were killed in a terror attack at a nightclub in Istanbul where revellers were celebrating the New Year party.