Current Affairs, January 2021
25th January, Current Affairs:
• President Ram Nath Kovind address the
nation today on the eve of the 72nd Republic Day.
• National Voters Day is observed today in India.
• Nepal Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli has been expelled from the ruling Communist Party over his decision to dissolve the Parliament.
• 32 children have been awarded the ‘Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar’ this year for their exceptional abilities and outstanding accomplishments in the fields of innovation, scholastics, sports, arts, culture, social service and bravery.
• Tata Consultancy Services surpassed Reliance Industries Ltd. to become the country’s most valued firm by market capitalisation.
24th January, Current Affairs:
• The National Girl Child Day is being
• Uttar Pradesh is celebrating its foundation day today.
23rd January, Current Affairs:
• The iconic TV and radio interviewer
Larry King died today at the age of 87.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Parakram Diwas celebrations at Kolkata today to commemorate the125th birth anniversary year of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
21st January, Current Affairs:
• Meghalaya, Manipur & Tripura
celebrate their statehood day today.
• Joe Biden took oath as the 46th President of the United States of America. His deputy Kamala Harris was also sworn in as 49th Vice-President of the country. Kamala Harris made history as America's first woman and first person with south Asian roots to take the office of the Vice President.
• Union Government has said that more than one crore one lakh houses have been approved under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) till date.
• In Ladakh, the Union Sports and Youth Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju launched the first ever Khelo India Zanskar Winter Sports Festival at Padum in Zanskar of Kargil district.
20th January, Current Affairs:
• NITI Aayog today released the second
edition of the India Innovation Index-2020. In the 2020 ranking, Karnataka
retained its first position in the Major States category. Maharashtra moved
one position higher and stood at 2nd spot while Tamil Nadu slid to 3rd
• The Maldives will become the first country to receive the Indian COVID-19 vaccine. The Indian Ocean Island country will receive Oxford Astrazeneca's Covishield vaccine produced by Serum Institute of India.
• India announced that it will supply COVID-19 vaccines under grant assistance to Bhutan, Maldives, Bangladesh, Nepal, Myanmar and Seychelles from today.
• United States President-elect Joe Biden and his deputy Kamala Harris will be sworn in as the 46th President and 49th Vice-President of the United States today.
19th January, Current Affairs:
• Union Government has decided to
celebrate the birthday of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose as 'Parakram Diwas' on
23rd of January every year.
• Indian cricket team wins the Border-Gavaskar trophy with a historic three-wicket win over Australia in the fourth and final Test in Brisbane. India successfully chase a 328-run target to seal the four-match series 2-1.
17th January, Current Affairs:
• 51st International Film Festival of
India (IFFI) has announced Indian Personality of the Year Award for veteran
actor and director Biswajit Chatterjee.
• Legendary Indian classical musician and Padma Vibhushan awardee Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan died at his residence in Mumbai. He was 89.
• The country's first Labour Movement Museum, showcasing the history of world labour movement, would be launched in Kerala's houseboat tourism hub, Alappuzha.
16th January, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi launches
World's largest COVID-19 vaccination drive in India. The COVID-19
vaccination drive began with a health worker from the All India Institute of
Medical Sciences (AIIMS) becoming the first person in the country to get the
• The 51st edition of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) gets underway in Goa.
15th January, Current Affairs:
• India's first Air Taxi service has
been launched in Chandigarh which was inaugurated by Manohar Lal Khattar at
the Chandigarh Airport launched under the UDAN scheme of the government.
• 73rd Army Day is celebrated today in India.
14th January, Current Affairs:
• Archaeologists have discovered the
world's oldest known cave painting: a life-sized picture of a wild pig that
was made at least 45,500 years ago in Indonesia.
• Makar Sankranti, Pongal and Bihu is celebrated in different parts of India.
• President Donald Trump was impeached by the U.S. House for a historic second time. He is charged with “incitement of insurrection” over the deadly mob siege of the Capitol.
• A World Health Organization team of experts probing the origins of the pandemic has landed in Wuhan in central Hubei Province in India.
12th January, Current Affairs:
• National Youth Day is celebrated
today in India on the occasion of birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda.
• Supreme Court has put a stay on the implementation of the three farm laws until further orders. It has also set up a committee of agricultural experts to facilitate talks between the Centre and farmers' unions.
• Manipur has become the 4th state in the country to successfully undertake Urban Local Bodies, ULB reforms stipulated by the Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance. The three other States are Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Telangana.
11th January, Current Affairs:
• The Union Government today placed a
purchase order with Serum Institute of India for 11 million doses of Oxford
COVID-19 vaccine, Covishield, each costing Rs 210, including the GST.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday interacted with chief ministers of all states to discuss the COVID-19 situation and the vaccination roll-out in the country.
9th January, Current Affairs:
• Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is observed
• An Indonesian budget airline plane with 62 people on board is suspected to have crashed into the sea shortly after the Boeing 737 took off from Jakarta airport.
8th January, Current Affairs:
• The second Covid 19 vaccination dry
run in 736 districts across 33 States and Union Territories is being held
throughout the country today.
• In the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, the Centre has merged J&K cadre for all India Services with that of Arunachal Pradesh, Goa, Mizoram and Union Territory (AGMUT).
7th January, Current Affairs:
• Four people died, including one woman
who was shot by a police officer, amid protests and rioting on Capitol Hill
by supporters of Donald Trump.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged off the world's first Double Stack Long Haul 1.5-Kilometre long Container Train hauled by electric traction from New Ateli -New Kishangarh through video conference.
• Justice Hima Kohli has become the first woman Chief Justice of Telangana High Court.
6th January, Current Affairs:
• Amid the outbreak of Avian Influenza
which is also known as Bird Flu, the Centre has set up a Control Room in New
Delhi to keep watch on the situation. Till now Bird Flu has been reported
from Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh and Kerala.
• Madhya Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh have become the first group of states to complete three out of the four citizen-centric reforms stipulated by the Ministry of Finance. The two states have completed the One Nation, One Ration Card Reforms, Ease of Doing Business Reforms and Urban Local Bodies Reforms.
• Alexander Ellis has been appointed as the new British High Commissioner to India in succession to Sir Philip Barton.
5th January, Current Affairs:
• British Prime Minister Boris Johnson
cancelled his visit to India, hours after he announced a fresh lockdown in
the United Kingdom over the new strain of coronavirus.
• Justice Vineet Kothari took oath as a Judge in Gujarat High Court. He was previously an Acting Chief Justice in Madras High Court.
4th January, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister inaugurates National
Metrology Conclave 2021 today through video conferencing. The Prime Minister
dedicated the National Atomic Timescale and Bhartiya Nirdeshak Dravya to the
nation and laid the foundation stone of the National Environmental Standards
• The world Braille Day is being celebrated today. The day is marked as the birth anniversary of Louis Braille, the inventor of Braille.
3rd January, Current Affairs:
• Senior Congress leader and former
Union minister Buta Singh died at Delhi's AIIMS. He was 86 years old.
• Drugs Controller General of India, DCGI has given approval for restricted use in emergency situation of two Covid19 vaccines- Serum Institute of India's Covishield and Bharat Biotech's Covaxin.
1st January, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi lays
foundation stone of light house projects in 6 states. The Light House
Projects will showcase the best forms of technology, used for public welfare
and light house projects will help support urban housing needs. The Light
House Projects will be undertaken at Rajkot in Gujarat, Lucknow in Uttar
Pradesh, Indore in Madhya Pradesh, Ranchi in Jharkhand, Chennai in Tamil
Nadu and Agartala in Tripura.
• The World Health Organization says it has cleared the Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine for emergency use.
• Countries around the world welcome New Year 2021 with fireworks.