Current Affairs, January 2024
29th January-2024, Current Affairs:
• As part of Republic Day
Celebrations, the ‘Beating Retreat’ ceremony today held at the historic
Vijay Chowk in New Delhi.
• International Cricket Council (ICC) has lifted the suspension of Sri Lanka Cricket with immediate effect. Sri Lanka Cricket has been reinstated as a member of the International Cricket Council after a two-month suspension.
• Indian shooter Yogesh Singh wins Gold in Men's 25m Centre Fire Pistol at Asia Olympic Qualifiers.
• Italy's Jannik Sinner defeated Russia's Daniil Medvedev 3-6, 3-6, 6-4,6-4,6-3 in the men's singles final of the Australian Open in Melbourne.
28th January-2024, Current Affairs:
• JD(U) leader Nitish Kumar took
oath of office and secrecy for the record ninth time as Chief Minister of
Bihar. Eight other cabinet ministers also took oath at Rajbhavan with him.
• Italy's Jannik Sinner beat Daniil Medvedev in the men’s singles final and win the Australian Open 2024 title. Sinner took 3 hours and 44 minutes to beat Medvedev 3-6, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4, 6-3 at the Rod Laver Arena.
• Rohan Bopanna becomes oldest-ever Grand Slam winner after clinching Australian Open men's doubles title with Matthew Ebden. The duo defeated Italy's Simone Bolelli and Andrea Vavassori in straight sets 7-6, 7-5 to claim the historic win.
• Aryna Sabalenka beat Zheng Qinwen 6-3, 6-2 to defend Australian Open title. She became the first woman to do so in more than a decade. The 25-year-old Belarusian defending champion and world number two Aryna Sabalenka defeated Chinese 12th seed Zheng Qinwen 6-3, 6-2 to win the Australian Open women's singles title in Melbourne.
26th January-2024, Current Affairs:
• India is celebrating the 75th
Republic Day today. President Droupadi Murmu will lead the nation in
celebrating Republic Day from Kartavya Path in New Delhi. French President
Emmanuel Macron was the Chief Guest at the parade.
• The government has announced the Padma Awards for the year 2024. The list comprises five Padma Vibhushan, 17 Padma Bhushan, and 110 Padma Shri Awards. Former Vice President Venkaiah Naidu, actor K Chiranjeevi, actress Vyjayantimala Bali, and Bharat Natyam dancer Padma Subrahmanyam have been selected for Padma Vibhushan. Social activist Bindeshwar Pathak has been awarded Padma Vibhushan posthumously.
• Indian batting star Virat Kohli bagged the ICC ODI Player of the Year award for the fourth time, following his record-breaking performance in the World Cup 2023.
25th January-2024, Current Affairs:
• President Droupadi Murmu address
the nation today on the eve of the 75th Republic Day.
• President presented the Best Electoral Practices Awards for the year 2023 on the occassion of the 14th National Voters' Day Celebrations in New Delhi today.
• India-set documentary feature film "To Kill a Tiger" has been nominated at the 96th Oscars. The feature is set in a small Indian village and directed by Emmy-nominated filmmaker Nisha Pahuja.
• a total of 1,132 personnel of police, fire service, home guard and civil defence and correctional service have been awarded gallantry and service medals on the occasion of the Republic Day, 2024. This includes 277 gallantry medals.
24th January-2024, Current Affairs:
• The Nation is celebrating
National Girl Child Day today.
• Rohan Bopanna became the oldest No. 1 player in tennis history at the age of 43 as he and partner Matthew Ebden qualified for the Australian Open men's doubles semi-final.
• India batter Suryakumar Yadav has been named the ICC Men’s T20I Cricketer of the Year for 2023. The India batter has won the award for the second time in a row.
23rd January-2024, Current Affairs:
• Former Chief Minister of Bihar
Karpoori Thakur was conferred the nation's highest honour, Bharat Ratna,
posthumously by the President of India Droupadi Murmu this evening. Dubbed
"Jan Nayak" by many in the state, Karpoori Thakur served as the Chief
Minister of Bihar for a short while -- from December 1970 to June 1971 and
from December 1977 to April 1979.
• India overtook Hong Kong as the world's fourth-largest stock market, with the combined value of shares listed on Indian exchanges reaching $4.33 trillion as of Monday’s close.
• Shubman Gill, Jasprit Bumrah, Ravichandran Ashwin, and Mohammed Shami won the Best International Men's cricketers award for 2022-23, 2021-22, 2020-21, 2019-20, respectively. In women's cricket, Jhulan Goswami, Deepti Sharma, and Smriti Mandhana won the best cricketers award. Legends like Farokh Engineer and Ravi Shastri have been awarded with the Lifetime Achievement Award for their contributions in Indian cricket.
22nd January-2024, Current Affairs:
• The Pran Pratishtha ceremony of
Shri Ramlalla was held today in Ayodhya with Prime Minister Narendra Modi
leading the rituals in the newly constructed magnificent temple.
• President Droupadi Murmu confered the Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar, 2024 to nineteen exceptional children in New Delhi today.
17th January-2024, Current Affairs:
• India Chess Wizard Rameshbabu
Praggnanandhaa defeated World Chess Champion Ding Liren in the Tata Steel
Masters in Wijk aan Zee, in the Netherlands yesterday. Praggnanandhaa became
only the second Indian after Vishwanathan Anand to defeat a reigning
champion. He also overtook Anand to become India's new number one Chess
player in terms of live ratings.
• The much-awaited Puri 'Srimandir Parikrama Prakalpa' or Jagannath Temple Heritage Corridor project in Odisha opened to the public today.
• Argentine superstar Lionel Messi has once again bagged The Best FIFA Men’s Player. Spain and Barcelona striker Aitana Bonmati were bestowed with the Best FIFA Women's Player Award. Manchester City coach Pep Guardiola won the Best Men's Manager award while England coach Sarina Wiegman claimed the award for the Best Woman Coach for a record fourth time.
• India’s top ranking tennis player Sumit Nagal creates history to become first Indian man in 35 years to beat a seeded player at Grand Slam. He secured his spot in the second round of the Australian Open after defeating world number 27 Alexander Bublik of Kazakhstan.
13th January-2024, Current Affairs:
• The festival of harvest, Lohri
is being celebrated today.
• Lai Ching-te, the leader of the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), won Taiwan's presidential elections.
12th January-2024, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi
inaugurated the Mumbai Trans Harbour Link (MTHL), the country's longest sea
bridge, which will reduce the travel time between South Mumbai to Navi
Mumbai from two hours to 20 minutes. The 21.8-kilometre-long bridge, named
Atal Bihari Vajpayee Sewri--Nhava Sheva Atal Setu has been built at a cost
of more than Rs 17,840 crore.
• Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) today conducted a successful flight-test of the New Generation AKASH (AKASH-NG) missile from the Integrated Test Range (ITR), Chandipur off the coast of Odisha.
11th January-2024, Current Affairs:
• France, Germany, Italy, Japan,
Singapore, and Spain start 2024 with the world's most powerful passport,
allowing visa-free entry to 194 global destinations, according to the latest
Henley Passport Index. Finland and Sweden tied with South Korea in second
place, offering visa-free access to 193 destinations. India's passport
ranked 80th spot in the list, with citizens allowed to travel to 62
countries without a visa.
• Indore and Surat were adjudged the 'cleanest cities' in the country while Navi Mumbai retained the third position in the Central government's annual cleanliness survey. In the 'best-performing states' category in 'Swachh Survekshan Awards 2023', Maharashtra bagged the top spot, followed by Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh.
• Sheikh Hasina today sworn in as the Prime Minister of Bangladesh for the fifth term.
10th January-2024, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi
inaugurates Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit in Gandhinagar. UAE President
Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan was the chief guest of the event.
• World Hindi Day is being observed today.
9th January-2024, Current Affairs:
• President Droupadi Murmu today
presented the National Sports and Adventure Awards 2023 at a function in
• Emmanuel Macron appointed 34-year-old Education Minister Gabriel Attal as the new prime minister of France.
8th January-2024, Current Affairs:
• Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh
Hasina has secured a record fourth straight term as her Awami League party
registered a landslide victory in the general elections. With this win,
Hasina is poised to become the longest-serving Prime Minister in Bangladesh
since the country's independence.
• Suchetha Satish from Kerala bagged the Guinness World Record after she sang in more than a hundred languages. Suchetha Satish performed in a total of 140 languages during a concert titled Concert for Climate in Dubai, UAE.
7th January-2024, Current Affairs:
• The All India Conference of
Directors General and Inspectors General of Police 2023 concluded today in
Jaipur. The three-day Conference is being organised at Rajasthan
International Centre in Jaipur.
• Bangladesh goes to the 12th national election today. A total of 28 political parties are contesting the election as 1971 candidates are vying for it in 299 constituencies out of a total of 300.
6th January-2024, Current Affairs:
• The Indian Space Research
Organisation (ISRO) has placed the Aditya-L1 spacecraft in a halo orbit
around the Lagrangian point (L1). India’s maiden solar mission Aditya L1
reached the L1 point on January 6, 127 days after it was launched on
September 2, 2023. L1 is the Lagrangian Point where gravitational forces
between the Earth and the Sun reach equilibrium and the Sun can be observed
without the hindrance of eclipse.
• Brazilian football legend Mario Zagallo aged 92 died on 5th Jan 2024. Mr Zagallo won two World Cups as a player, one as a coach and another as an assistant coach for Brazil.
5th January-2024, Current Affairs:
• Gautam Adani has reclaimed the
Asia's richest person spot after beating Mukesh Ambani as shares of his
company show major growth.
• The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully tested a 100 W class Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell based Power System (FCPS) in its orbital platform, POEM3 which was launched onboard PSLV-C58.
• The Union Cabinet on January 5 approved the proposal to name Ayodhya airport as 'Maharishi Valmiki International Airport, Ayodhyadham'.
4th January-2024, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi
inaugurated the Rs 400 crore Demonstration Fast Reactor Fuel Reprocessing
Plant (DFRP) at the Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR),
Kalpakkam, to the nation.
• The Maharashtra government on Thursday appointed 1988 batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Rashmi Shukla as the Director General of Police. Ms. Shukla became the first woman police officer to hold the top police post in the State.
• World Braille Day is being observed today to honour the French Educationist Louis Braille for the invention of a reading and writing system for visually challenged people.
1st January-2024, Current Affairs:
• Indian Space Research
Organisation (ISRO) has successfully launched X-ray Polarimeter Satellite
(XPoSat) aboard Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle PSLV-C58. The satellite was
launched from Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh at
9.10 today morning.
• Japan was hit by multiple earthquakes with Noto in Ishigawa experiencing a 7.6 magnitude earthquake, the highest, and seeing five-foot tsunami waves.