Current Affairs, July 2014
Home⇒Current Affairs⇒Current Affairs, July-2014
• Deputy National Security Adviser Nehchal Sandhu quit from his post.
• Lt. General Dalbir Singh Suhag took over as Chief of Army Staff succeeded General Bikram Singh.
• 17 people have been killed and 200 are feared buried under a landslide that hit a village 120 kilometers from Pune after torrential rains.
• US Secretary of State John Kerry arrived India to hold 5th Indo-US Strategic Dialogue.
• Chief of Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha took over as the Chairman of the Chief of Staff Committee (COSC).
• South Africa all-rounder cricketer Jacques Kallis announced his retirement from all formats of cricket.
• Eid-ul-Fitr celebrates across the world.
• 20 passengers were killed when a state roadways bus fell into a gorge in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh.
• World Hepatitis Day observed across the globe.
• Vincenzo Nibali became the first Italian to win the Tour de France.
• BJP leader Kaptan Singh Solanki appointed as the Governor of Haryana.
• India celebrates Vijay Diwas in the memory of Kargil War.
• 7 people died when an Indian Air Force helicopter crashed in Uttar Pradesh's Sitapur district.
• The Lok Sabha passed the Finance Bill, 2014 by a voice vote.
• An Air Algerie flight crashed en route from Ouagadougou in Burkina Faso to Algiers with 110 passengers on board.
• 25 children were killed after a train colloide with a school bus at an unmanned railway crossing in Telangana.
• Keshari Nath Tripathi sworn in as 20th Governor of West Bengal.
• 47 people killed after TransAsia plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan.
• TCS become the first Indian company to achieve a market capital value of 5 lakh crore rupees.
• The 20th Commonwealth Games begin today in Glasgow, Scotland.Shooter Vijay Kumar has been named as the flag bearer for Indian contigent at the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games.
• Former Union minister Ram Naik sworn-in as the 27th Governor of Uttar Pradesh at a ceremony held in Raj Bhawan.
• The Telangana government appointed tennis player Sania Mirza as its brand ambassador.
• Indian Cricket team beat England in 2nd test match to register first win after 28 Years at Lord's.
• England's national football team captain Steven Gerrard has announced his retirement from international soccer.
• IFS officer Sanjeev Kumar Singla has been appointed as Private Secretary to Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
• The Enforcement Directorate has detected biggest hawala transactions scam of India worth Rs 5395 crore in Gujarat and has filed charge-sheets against 79 accused.
• Padmanabha Balakrishna Acharya sworn in as the 19th Governor of Nagaland.
• The Lok Sabha approved the budget for 2014/15.
• Germany captain Philipp Lahm quite international soccer after leading his side to World Cup victory in FIFA World Cup Brazil.
• A Malaysia Airlines MH 17, travelling from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur with 295 passengers crashed after shot down in Ukraine near the Russian border. All 295 passengers died on the accident.
• Microsoft will lay off 18,000 employees over the next year of which 12,500 employees will be from Nokia's devices division.
• Leaders of the BRICS emerging market nations launched a $100 billion development bank and a currency reserve pool in their first concrete step toward reshaping the Western-dominated international financial system. The headquarters of the bank will be in Shanghai, China.
• The government has decided to do away with the necessity of filing affidavits from a gazetted officer or a notary for government-related work and instead to promote self-attestation of documents.
• The Lok Sabha passed a bill to amend the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Act which will pave the way for appointment of former TRAI chairman Nripendra Misra as principal secretary to Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
• The government appointed Ram Naik (Uttar Pradesh), Balramji Dass Tandon (Chhattisgarh), Keshari Nath Tripathi (West Bengal), Om Prakash Kohli (Gujarat) and Padmanabha Balakrishna Acharya (Nagaland) as the new Governors.
• Germany wins the FIFA World Cup final after defeating Argentina 1-0 in the final at Maracana stadium, Rio de Janeiro. Mario Goetze scores the single goal in the final. Germany First European Nation to Win World Cup on South American Soil.
• Lionel Messi has received the award for best player of the World Cup (Golden Ball).
• Germany's Manuel Neuer collected the best goalkeeper prize (Golden Gloves).
• James Rodriguez of Colombia got the golden boot award as top scorer with six goals.
• Election Commission found Former Maharashtra chief minister Ashok Chavan guilty of fudging his poll expenses during state elections in 2009.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi left for Brazil for meeting of the BRICS group.
• Netherlands beats Brazil 3-0 in the third-place match at the FIFA World Cup 2014.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi elected as the leader of the reconstituted BJP Parliamentary Party in both Houses of Parliament.
• Rajasthan Governor Margaret Alva sworn-in as the Governor of Goa at a function at Raj Bhavan.
• INS Kamorta, the country's first indigenously built warship handed over to the Indian Navy by Garden Reach Shipbuilders.
• According to a UN report Delhi become the world's second most populous city in 2014 after Tokyo with 25 million. Mumbai ranks sixth on the list of the world's most populous cities.
• Lt. Governor of Puducherry Virendra Kataria has been replaced by the President. Lieutenant Governor of Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Ajay Kumar Singh will take the additional charge of Puducherry.
• Former Mizoram Governor Vakkom B Purushothaman, who was transferred to Nagaland, resigned from his post.
• The Supreme Court Collegium has recommended that senior advocate Uday U. Lalit be elevated as a Supreme Court judge.
• Finance Minister Arun Jaitley presented the first Union budget of Modi Government in Parliament.
• Tax ememption limit raised to 2.5 lakh and for senior citizens to Rs.3 lakh. Investmenmt limit raises to 1.5 lakh. Four new AIIMS, five new IITs and 12 more government medical colleges to be set up. Sports University to be set up in Manipur. Defence budget raises by 12 percent in 2014-15 over the previous year in a budget.
• Veteran actor Zohra Sehgal passed away in New Delhi at the age of 102.
• Argentina reached the World Cup final after beating the Netherlands 4-2 in a penalty shootout.
• FIFA suspended Nigeria from all international football competitions for government interference in running Nigeria Football Federation.
• Amit Shah appointed as the new BJP president.
• The Economic Survey released by the Union Government ahead of the Union budget.
• Germany reach the final of FIFA World Cup 2014 after defeating Brazil 7-1 in the semi final.
• Germany striker Miroslav Klose became the highest goal scorer in World Cup history by scoring his 16th finals goal in the 7-1 semi-final victory over Brazil.
• The first test of a 5-match Investec series of Test cricket starts between India and England.
• Railway Minister Sadananda Gowda presented the first railway budget of Narendra Modi govement in Parilament. In the biudget 58 new trains announced.
• The Railway Minister proposed introduction of bullet trains between Mumbai and Ahmedabad.
• India successfully test-fired the 290 km range BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from a defence base in Odisha.
• A bench headed by Justice C K Prasad of Supreme Court verdict that shariat courts are illegal, but did not call it unconstitutional.
• A panel headed by former PMEAC Chairman C Rangarajan said that the number of poor in India was much higher in 2011-12 at 29.5 per cent of the population, which means that three out of 10 persons are poor.
• The budget session of Parliaments starts from today.
• The Bombay Stock Exchange cross above 26,000 mark for first time.
• Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal transferred to Mizoram.
• 11 construction workers died when a newly built wall of a godown collapsed near Uttarapalayam in Thiruvallur district in Tamil Nadu.
• Novak Djokovic of Serbia defeat Roger Federer to win Wimbledon Mens Single by 6-7, 6-4, 7-6, 5-7, 6-4.
• Brazil, Argentina, Netherland and Germany reach the semi final of FIFA World Cup Football 2014.
• Lewis Hamilton of England wins British Grand Prix.
• 46 Indian nurses who were stranded in war-torn Iraq returned to Kochi in Kerala on a special Air India plane.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated 240MW Uri-II hydroelectric project in Jammu and Kashmir.
• Petra Kvitova of Czech beats Eugenie Bouchard of Canada by 6-3 6-0 to win the Wimbledon Women final.
• Nearly 50 Indian nurses abducted by suspected Islamist militants in Iraq have been released and will be flown home on Saturday.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged off the train linking Katra, the base camp for Vaishno Devi shrine in Trikuta hills with the rest of the country.
• Goa Governor BV Wanchoo resigns from his post.
• Indian Railways successfully conducted trail run of a semi-bullet train between Agra and Delhi with the speed of 160 km/hr.
• Centre brought potato and onion within the purview of stockholding limits under the Essential Commodities Act, 1955. With this move, the court of State governments to take up de-hoarding operations and control the prices of onions and potatoes and improve availability.
• General Bikram Singh arrived China for high-level strategic communication and mutual trust between the militaries of the two neighbours.
• Ram Naresh Yadav sworn-in as the Governor of Chhattisgarh.
• National Doctors’ Day observed across India to honour legendary physician Dr Bidhan Chandra Roy.
• Google announce that it will shut down social networking service Orkut in September, 2014.