Current Affairs, June 2014
• India has launched five foreign satellites from four countries on board PSLV-C23 rocket which placed them in orbit from Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh.
• MK Narayanan has resigned as the Governor of West Bengal.
• 11 people have died and around 20 are still feared trapped under the debris of an 11-storey under-construction building that collapsed near Chennai.
• Annual Ratha Yatra festival of Lord Jagannath began in Puri.
• Saina Nehwal wins Australian Badminton Open Super Series by defeating Spain's Carolina Marin in the final.
• The annual pilgrimage to the 3,880 meter high holy cave shrine of Amarnath started with over 7,000 pilgrims trekking the 17-km northern Baltel route.
• Fourteen people were killed and 20 injured in a blast and fire at a gas pipeline of GAIL India in Andhra Pradesh.
• The Delhi University has scrapped its controversial Four Year Undergraduate Programme or FYUP.
• India has relaxed visa rules for below the age of 13 and above the age of 65 from Bangladesh, who will be given multiple-entry tourist visas for five years.
• Additional secretary A.K. Dubey appointed as Chairman of Coal India Limited.
• Narendra Modi has surged to 4th place in the list of most followed world leaders on Twitter.
• Uruguay's forward player Luis Suarez has been suspended for nine matches and banned for four months from any football-related activity for biting an opponent during the World Cup match against Italy.
• Former BCCI President N. Srinivasan confirmed as chairman of the International Cricket Council (ICC) in Melbourne.
• Nagaland Governor Ashwani Kumar submits his resignation to the President.
• 4 passengers were killed and 8 injured when the Delhi-Dibrugarh Rajdhani Express derailed at Golden Ganj station near Chhapra.
• Ex-News International CEO Rebekah Brooks cleared of all charges by a London court of being part of an illegal conspiracy at a Rupert Murdoch tabloid to hack into phones and make illegal payments.
• Delhi Colleges defer admission process amid row over 4-Year Course by Delhi University which did not get approval from UGC.
• The schedule for the Budget session will start from July 7 with presentation of the Union Budget 2014-15 on July 10.
• Miroslav Klose of Germany scored his 15th FIFA World Cup goal in a group league match against Ghana to equal Brazil's Ronaldo's record of highest goal in FIFA World Cup.
• Noted Hindi poet Kedarnath Singh has been chosen for the prestigious Jnanpith award for 2013.
• Railway Ministry hikes the rail passenger fares by 14.2 percent and freight rates by 6.5 percent, which will be implemented from June 25.
• Chhattisgarh Governor Shekhar Dutt has stepped down from his post.
• Felipe VI formally proclaimed as the new King of Spain.
• Former Captain of Bangladesh Mohammad Ashraful banned for eight years by the disciplinary panel of BCB.
• Current World champion Spain out of the FIFA World Cup 2014 after defeated by Chile 2-0 in league match.
• Unknown assailants have kidnapped 40 Indian construction workers from Iraq's second largest city of Mosul, which fell to Sunni insurgents last week.
• Nita Ambani becomes first woman director in Reliance.
• Governor of Uttar Pradesh BL Joshi resigned from his post.
• Stuart Binny now becomes the best bowling analysis by an Indian in ODIs after he took six wickets for just four runs against Bangladesh in 2nd match of Sahara Series. He beats Anil Kumble's 21-year-old record of 6/12 which he took against the West Indies in the Hero Cup.
• Thomas Muller of Germany score the first hat-trick goal of 2014 FIFA World Cup against Portugal.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi begins his two day visit in Bhutan.
• World Blood Donor Day observed across the world.
• Narendra Modi dedicated India’s largest warship INS Vikramaditya to the nation.
• A gas leak following an explosion at a steel plant in Bhilai, Chattisgarh left at least five people dead.
• Union Govt gives permission to increase the height of the Sardar Sarovar Dam by 17 meters.
• Vishal Sikka, a former member of executive board at German software company SAP AG appointed as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Infosys.
• Union Government appointed senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi as the new Attorney General of India.
• UPSC has declared the final result of the Civil Services Examination 2013.Jaipur's Gaurav Agrawal has got the first rank in the exam.
• AirAsia Airlines commenced its operations in India as domestic airline service.
• FIFA Wold Cup 2014 Kicks Off Tonight in Brazil.
• India has recovered 228 million euros ($310 million) in bank guarantees from Finmeccanica backing a scrapped helicopter deal.
• India successfully test-fired the 290 km-range BrahMos supersonic anti-ship cruise missile from the country's largest indigenous warship INS Kolkata off the coast of Karwar in Karnataka.
• Chandrababu Naidu Takes Oath as the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh.
• First metro service is inaugurated today in Mumbai.
• Former army chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi sworn in as president of Egypt.
• 27 people including terrorist were killed in an attack in Jinnah International Airport in Karachi.
• 25 engineering students from Hyderabad were washed away in Beas River near Pandoh Dam in Mandi, Himachal Pradesh.
• RafaelNadal wins his ninth title at French Open Men Single after defeating Novak Djokovic 3-6 7-5 6-2 6-4.
• Kudankulam becomes India's first nuclear power plant to generate 1,000 MW.
• Maria Sharapova of Russia wins the French Open 2014 Women Single after defeating fourth-seeded Simona Halep 6-4, 6-7, 6-4 of Romania in the final.
• Vetern BJP MP Sumitra Mahajan elected as the speaker of 16th Lok Sabha.
• Monsoon rains reached India's southern coast of Kerala for the first time this year.
• World Environment Day celebrated across the globe.
• BSE for the first time closing above the 25,000 mark.
• On the second day of Parliament, the newly-elected members of the 16th Lok Sabha takes oath by Pro-Term speaker Kamal Nath.
• The first session of 16th Lok Sabha started from today.
• Senior Congress leader Kamal Nath elected as the Protem Speaker of the newly constituted 16th Lok Sabha.
• Rural Development Minister and BJP leader Gopinath Munde died of Heart Attack after a road collision on his way to airport in New Delhi.
• At least 18 Indian pilgrims were killed when the overloaded bus rolled about 100 meters before plunging into a river in western Nepal.
• Indian batsman Virat Kohli wins the Ceat International Cricketer of the Year award.
• Telangana officially becomes the 29th state of India with Hyderabad as its capital.
• Kalvakuntla Chandrasekhara Rao has taken oath as the first chief minister of the Telangana state.
• Congress appointed former union minister Mallikarjun Kharge as the party's leader in the Lok Sabha.
• Kolkata Knight Riders wins the 7th IPL Final. They beats Kings XI Punjab by 3 wickets in Bangalore.