Current Affairs, June 2016
30th June, Current Affairs:
• India successfully tested Medium Range Surface-to-Air Missile system
(MR-SAM) which has developed in collaboration with Israel
• Indian movie The Violin Player has won the top prize of Best Feature Film at the 37th Durban International Film Festival.
28th June, Current Affairs:
• Union Government approves 7th pay commissions. Salaries and pensions
for former and current central government employees will go up by nearly 24
• NS Vishwanathan appointed as Deputy Governor of Reserve Bank of India.
• 41 died and over 230 injured in a terrorist attack in Istanbul Airport.
27th June, Current Affairs:
• India became the 35th full member of the Missile Technology Control
Regime (MTCR), an exclusive club of countries controlling exports in missile
• Chile beat Argentina by 4-2 in penalties to win the Copa America final.
• Argentina footbal star Lionel Messi announce his retirement from international football.
26th June, Current Affairs:
• International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking observed
• IIFA awards 2016 held at Spain. Ranveer has won the best actor award for Bajirao Mastani, Deepika bagged the best actress award for her performance in Piku. Best movie award given to Bajrangi Bhaijaan.
25th June, Current Affairs:
• Eight CRPF soldiers have been killed and over 20 injured in a terrorist
attack in Jammu and Kashmir's Pulwama district.
• A former member of Lok Sabha and India's first quiz master Neil O'Brien died at the age of 82 in Kolkata.
24th June, Current Affairs:
• British people voted to leave the European Union by referendum showed a
near 52-48 percent split.
• British Prime Minister David Cameron announced that he will resign in October, 2016 after Britons voted to leave the European Union.
23rd June, Current Affairs:
• Former captain Anil Kumble named as the head coach of Indian cricket
team for a year.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in Tashkent for the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) meeting.
• Voters in Britain voting today to decide whether the country should remain a part of European Union or not.
• Indian cricket team skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni equalled Ricky Ponting's record of leading a side in the most international matches across all formats.
22nd June, Current Affairs:
• India's space agency ISRO placed a record 20 satellites in space in 26
minutes from Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
• Argentina striker Lionel Messi became his country's all-time top goalscorer with 55 goals when he scored in the Copa America semi-final against the United State.
• India wins the 3 match T20 series against Zimbabwe by 2-1.
21st June, Current Affairs:
• Second International Yoga Day is celebrated across the World.
• Nikesh Arora resigns from SoftBank as representative Director, President and Chief Operating Officer of SoftBank
• Virginia Raggi has been elected as Rome's first female mayor.
• China’s Sunway TaihuLight supercomputer is the world’s most powerful supercomputer system.
20th June, Current Affairs:
• The Union Government eased foreign direct investment (FDI) norms in
pharma, aviation and defence sectors. Under the new norms, 74 per cent FDI
would be allowed in pharma sector and 100 per cent FDI in scheduled
• In a notification by Finance Ministry, now subscribers of the Public Provident Fund (PPF) can prematurely close the deposit scheme after completing five years.
18th June, Current Affairs:
• India's first women fighter pilots were commissioned in the Indian Air
Force today. Flying cadets Bhawana Kath, Avani Chatuvedi and Mohana Singh
are the first batch of female pilots inducted in an IAF fighter squadron.
• Former cricketer and two-time Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP, Chetan Chauhan, has been named the chairperson of the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT).
• Indian hockey team settle for a silver medal in the 36th Hero Champions Trophy as they lost the final 1-3 against World Champions Australia in penalty shootout.
17th June, Current Affairs:
• Bharti Airtel founder Sunil Mittal elected as the chairman of the
International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
• Indian-origin diplomat Kamala Shirin Lakhdhir nominated as the next American Ambassador to Malaysia by US President Barack Obama.
• India enter their maiden Champions Trophy final after Belgium drew 3-3 against Great Britain. Indian will play against Australia in the Final.
15th June, Current Affairs:
• The new civil aviation policy cleared by the Union Cabinet today which
aims to reduce the ticket fares for passengers.
• Peter Thomson of Fiji elected as the President of the of the next session of the UN General Assembly, which will choose the successor to Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.
• Indian cricket team defeat the Zimbabwe team by 3-0 in a three match ODI series.
14th June, Current Affairs:
• The Islamic State (IS) terrorist group's leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
has been killed in an air raid in Syria by the US-led coalition.
• Mercedes racing driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain win the Formula 1 Canada Grand Prix title.
13th June, Current Affairs:
• Microsoft Corporation agreed to buy LinkedIn Corp for $26.2 billion in cash.
12th June, Current Affairs:
• Two-day National Executive meet of the BJP has begun in Allahabad,
• Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal defeat Sun Yu of China 11-21, 21-14, 21-19 in the final to clinch the Australian Open Super Series Badminton title in Sydney.
11th June, Current Affairs:
• Voting for 27 Rajya Sabha seats were held in seven states.
• KL Rahul became the first Indian batsman to hit a century on ODI debut as India as he scores the hundred in the first One-Day International in Harare against Zimbabwe.
10th June, Current Affairs:
• Olympic champion Abhinav Bindra chosen as the flag-bearer of the Indian
contingent at the Rio Games' opening ceremony.
• UEFA Euro 2016 football starts from today in France.
9th June, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrives in Mexico that is the last
stoppage in his five-nation tour.
• Rajkot, Visakhapatnam, Pune, Dharamsala, Ranchi and Indore has been selected as the new venue for Test matches in India by BCCI.
8th June, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses the joint session of US
• Maria Sharapova has been suspended for two years by the International Tennis Federation for testing positive at the Australian Open in January 2016.
7th June, Current Affairs:
• Members of the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) have agreed to
admit India into the group. Admission to the MTCR would open the way for
India to buy high-end missile technology.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrives in USA on official visit.
• Holy month of Ramzan begins from today.
5th June, Current Affairs:
• World Environment Day celebrated today.
• Novak Djokovic wins the French Open Men's Single after defeating Andy Murray by 3-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-4.
• The French pair of Caroline Garcia and Kristina Mladenovic wins the French Open women's doubles title after defeating Russian pair of Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina by 6-3, 2-6, 6-4.
• Malaysian shuttler Lee Chong Wei and Chinese Taipei's Tai Tzu Ying won the men's singles and women's singles titles respectively in the Indonesia Open Superseries.
4th June, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Afghan President Ashraf Ghani
inaugurated the 'Afghan-India Friendship Dam' in Afghanistan Herat province.
He is on his five-nation tour which also includes Qatar, Switzerland, the US
• All time Boxing great Muhammad Ali died at the age of 74 in an Arizona hospital.
• Garbine Muguruza wins the French Open for the first time by defeating Serena Williams 7-5, 6-4.
3rd June, Current Affairs:
• At least 24 people killed in Mathura, including an SP and an SHO in
clashes between police and encroachers.
• Nita Ambani has been nominated as a candidate in the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
• Leander Paes and Martina Hingis beat Sania Mirza and Ivan Dodig by 4-6, 6-4, 10-8 to win the French Open mixed doubles final at Roland Garros.
1st June, Current Affairs:
• The world's longest and deepest rail tunnel has officially opened in
Switzerland. It is a 57km (35-mile) twin-bore Gotthard base tunnel will
provide a high-speed rail link under the Swiss Alps between northern and
• A 0.5 per cent Krishi Kalyan Cess (KKC) wil be applied on all services which will increases the total tax chargeable on services to 15 per cent.