Current Affairs,March 2023
29th March, Current Affairs:
• Voting for the Karnataka assembly
elections will take place on the 10th of May in a single phase. The counting
of votes will be held on 13th May. The term of the 224-member Karnataka
Assembly will end on May 24.
• Indian Woman boxer, Nitu Ghanghas clinched Gold in 48-kilogram category of the IBA Womens World Boxing Championship at K.D. Jadhav Hall IG Stadium New Delhi.
27th March, Current Affairs:
• Mumbai Indians becomes the first
champions of the Women’s Premier League (WPL). Led by India captain
Harmanpreet Kaur, MI edged out Delhi Capitals by seven wickets in a thriller
to cap a memorable first edition of the T20 tournament.
• Lovlina Borgohain defeated Australian boxer Caitlin Parker by 5-2 to take the top prize in the 75 kg category and win her first-ever World Championship gold medal.
26th March, Current Affairs:
• The Indian Space Research Organisation
(ISRO) today launched 36 OneWeb satellites into space in a textbook mission.
The spacecraft lifted off from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota
to Low Earth Orbit with probes from the UK-based company.
• Nitu Ghanghas had clinched a gold medal in the 49-kg category by defeating Lutsaikhan Altantsetseg of Mongolia with a 5-0 scoreline.
• Saweety Boora claimed her first World Women's Boxing Championship gold medal by defeating China's Wang Lina in a thrilling summit clash held at Delhi's Indira Gandhi arena.
• Nikhat Zareen's also registered a 5-0 victory in the final of 50kg category at the Indira Gandhi Sports Complex, New Delhi on Sunday to bag her second consecutive title. Nikhat has become only the 2nd Indian female boxer after Mary Kom to win multiple gold medals at the IBA Women's World Championships.
24th March, Current Affairs:
• Congress leader Rahul Gandhi has been
disqualified as a Member of Parliament (MP) after he was convicted by a
Surat court in a 2019 criminal defamation case.
• The Abel Prize for mathematics was awarded to Argentine-American Luis Caffarelli, an expert in "partial differential equations" which can explain phenomena ranging from how water flows to population growth.
• World Tuberculosis Day is observed today.
22nd March, Current Affairs:
• World Water Day is observed today. The
focus of World Water Day 2023 is on Accelerating Change to solve the water
• Bihar is today celebrating its 111th (one hundred eleven) foundation day. The state of Bihar was carved out from the Bengal presidency on March 22 in 1912.
• President Droupadi Murmu today conferred 52 Padma Awards for the year 2023, at a Civil Investiture Ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
• Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh inaugurated Asia’s largest 4-metre International Liquid Mirror Telescope at Devasthal in Uttarakhand.
20th March, Current Affairs:
• Finland has been named the happiest
country in the world in the annual World Happiness Report. This is the sixth
consecutive year that they have won the coveted prize. India is ranked 125
based on the various parametres of happiness.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi held bilateral delegation-level talks with Japanese Prime Minister Kishida Fumio in New Delhi today.
19th March, Current Affairs:
• ATK Mohun Bagan won Hero Indian Super
League (ISL) final as they beat Bengaluru FC 4-3 on penalties to lift the
Hero ISL title at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Goa.
• Union Government approved for listing of the Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA) on the Stock Exchanges.
• In Tennis, Indian Rohan Bopanna and Matthew Ebden of Australia have won the Indian Wells doubles title in California, United States. Bopanna and Ebden defeated top-seeded pair of Dutch players Wesley Koolhof and Neal Skupski from Great Britain 6-3, 2-6, 10-8.
18th March, Current Affairs:
• The Indian Navy’s top gunnery school,
INS Dronacharya presented with the President’s Colour in honor of its
• Janata Samajbadi Party leader Ram Sahaya Prasad Yadav has been elected as Nepal's third Vice President.
• Team Rest of India secured their 30th title win in the Irani Cup after defeated Madhya Pradesh by 238 runs.
• K Krithivasan has been appointed as the CEO-designate of TCS, after Rajesh Gopinathan resigned.
13th March, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi
inaugurated the World’s longest railway platform at Hubballi station in
Karnataka. Indian Railways' South Western Railway(SWR) zone's Hubballi got
its name registered in the Guinness Book of World Records for having the
longest railway platform in the World at Shree Siddharoodha Swamiji station.
Platform No. 8 measuring 1507m has earned the distinction as the longest
railway platform in the world.
• The 95th Academy Awards took place at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. Everything Everywhere All At Once was named best picture. It dominated the Oscars night winning seven awards, including best picture, best actress, best director, best editing, best supporting actor, best supporting actress and best original screenplay. Michelle Yeoh makes history as the first Asian woman to win Best Actress at the Oscars.
• SS Rajamouli's RRR song Naatu Naatu won the Best Original Song while Kartiki Gonsalves and Guneet Monga's The Elephant Whisperers won Documentary short subject Oscars.
• Nepali Congress leader Ram Chandra Paudel sworn in as President of Nepal.
• The second part of the Budget Session today started.
• India have retained the Border-Gavaskar trophy after winning the first two Tests of the four-match series.
10th March, Current Affairs:
• Xi Jinping elected China’s President
for unprecedented third term.
• India’s industrial production growth perked up slightly to 5.2% in January from 4.7% in December 2022.
• Ravichandran Ashwin becomes the Indian bowler with the greatest number of five-wicket hauls at home. During Day 2 of the fourth Test match against Australia in Ahmedabad, Ashwin claimed his 26th five-wicket haul and in the process, he went past the record held previously by legendary spinner Anil Kumble.
8th March, Current Affairs:
• International Women's Day is celebrated
today. United Nations Observance of International Women's Day, under the
theme “DigitALL: Innovation and technology for gender equality”.
• Festival of colours Holi being celebrated across the country.
• Dr. Manik Saha took oath for the second time as Tripura Chief Minister today after the BJP clinched a victory in the Assembly polls.
• Captain Shiva Chouhan became the first woman army officer to be operationally deployed in Siachen, the world's highest battlefield.
• Indian-American Arun Subramaniam has been confirmed as first South Asian District Judge for the Southern District of New York.
7th March, Current Affairs:
• Conrad K Sangma has been sworn-in as
Chief Minister of Meghalaya for the second consecutive term.
• NDPP leader Neiphiu Rio took oath as the chief minister of Nagaland for the fifth term.
• The first edition of the Naval Commanders' Conference 2023 began onboard India’s first indigenous aircraft carrier, INS Vikrant today.
• The Indian Navy carried out a successful test-firing of a Medium Range Surface-to-Air Missile (MRSAM) from frontline warship INS Visakhapatnam.
• The first ever joint military exercise between the Indian and French Army, FRINJEX-23, begins at Pangode Military Station, Thiruvananthapuram in Kerala.
5th March, Current Affairs:
• India’s imports of crude oil from Russia
soared to a record 1.6 million barrels per day in February and is now higher
than combined imports from traditional suppliers Iraq and Saudi Arabia.
• Karnataka beats Meghalaya 3-2 to clinch Santosh Trophy football at the King Fahd International Stadium in the Saudi Arabia capital, Riyadh. Services won the third place beating Punjab 2-0 in the play-off match held before the final.
4th March, Current Affairs:
• Hockey India has appointed South African
Craig Fulton as new chief coach of the Indian men's hockey team.
• First-ever Women's Premier League to begin in Navi Mumbai. The five teams taking part in the inaugural edition of WPL are Mumbai Indians (MI), Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB), Delhi Capitals (DC), UP Warriorz (UPW) and Gujarat Giants (GG). First match between Mumbai Indians and Gujarat Giants will be played at DY Patil Stadium Navi Mumbai.
3rd March, Current Affairs:
• World Wildlife Day 2023 celebrated
today. The theme “Partnerships for wildlife conservation”.
• The National Assembly(NA) of Vietnam elected Vo Van Thuong as the new President of Vietnam.
• Indian Grandmaster D Gukesh has been honoured with Player-of-the-Year award by the Asian Chess Federation (ACF).
1st March, Current Affairs:
• In Nigeria, Bola Tinubu declared as the
winner and sworn in as President of Africa's most populous country.
• Lionel Messi named Best FIFA Men's Player at a ceremony in Paris, beating Paris Saint-Germain teammate Kylian Mbappe and Real Madrid's Karim Benzema. Barcelona's Alexia Putellas has been crowned Best FIFA Women's Player for the second year running.