Current Affairs, October 2023
31st October, Current Affairs:
• India celebrates National Unity Day
today marking 148th birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
• Lionel Messi won the Ballon d'Or for the eighth time in his career at a ceremony in Paris. Messi, succeeds Karim Benzema as winner of the prize, awarded for his performances last season.
28th October, Current Affairs:
• In the Asian Para Games at Hangzhou
in China, Indian contingent wrapped up the event with their best-ever medal
haul after clinching a record-breaking 111 medals. They won 29 gold, 31
silver, and 51 bronze medals, placing the country fifth in the medal count.
• Tata Group will commence production of Apple iPhone in India for both domestic and global markets. This makes Tata India’s first homegrown iPhone maker after it completed the acquisition of Wistron Corp’s Bengaluru plant for $125 million.
26th October, Current Affairs:
• Australia star Glenn Maxwell slammed
the fastest ever ODI World Cup century in just 40 balls in a Cricket World
Cup match against Netherlands. Glenn Maxwell broke the record of fastest ton
at the ODI Cricket World Cup set by Aiden Markram (49 balls), which the
South African hit earlier in the 2023 edition.
• The 37th National Games officially inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru stadium in Fatorda, South Goa. The 37th National Games, a first-time occurrence in Goa, will feature athletes from 28 states participating in over 43 different sports disciplines. These games will bring together over 10,000 athletes from across the country.
24th October, Current Affairs:
• The festival of Vijayadashmi or
Dussehra is being celebrated across the country today.
• Union Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurated India’s first liquid nano di-ammonia phosphate (DAP) plant established by IFFCO at Kalol in Gandhinagar today.
• Today is the World Polio Day.
• The World Development Information Day is celebrated today by the United Nations (UN).
23rd October, Current Affairs:
• Indian cricket great Bishan Singh
Bedi breathed his last at the age of 77 after a prolonged illness. Bedi was
an active cricketer from 1967 to 1979, featuring for India in 67 Tests,
taking 266 wickets.
• Mahanavami being celebrated across the country.
22nd October, Current Affairs:
• The third stealth destroyer of
Project 15B Class Guided Missile Destroyer 'IMPHAL' was handed over to the
Indian Navy by The Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited in Mumbai.
• The fourth Asian Paralympic Games is held in Hangzhou City in China.
21st October, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged
off 'Namo Bharat', India's first semi-high speed regional rail service in
Uttar Pradesh. The Prime Minister inaugurated the 'Namo Bharat' train
connecting Sahibabad and Duhai Depot stations in Uttar Pradesh.
• ISRO's unmanned test flight for its first human spaceflight mission 'Gaganyaan' today lifted off from Sriharikota, the first landmark in India's ambitious space mission.
• National Police Commemoration Day 2023 is observed today.
• Former Jharkhand Chief Minister, Raghubar Das, has been appointed as the Governor of Odisha.
• President Droupadi Murmu has appointed Indra Sena Reddy Nallu as Governor of Tripura.
• Christopher Luxon has been elected as the 42nd Prime Minister of New Zealand.
17th October, Current Affairs:
• President Droupadi Murmu conferred
the 69th National Film Awards in New Delhi. Allu Arjun received the Best
Actor Award for Pushpa: The Rise. Alia Bhatt for Gangubai Kathiawadi and
Kriti Sanon for Mimi shared the Best Actress Award. Waheeda Rehman received
the Dadasaheb Phalke Lifetime Achievement Award.
• India aims to send an astronaut to the moon by 2040, as Prime Minister Narendra Modi issued instructions to the space department that include plans for a space station by 2035.
15th October, Current Affairs:
• India ranked 111th out of 125
countries in the Global Hunger Index 2023. India has a score of 28.7,
indicating a serious level of hunger.
• Navratri celebrations begin with religious fervour and gaiety across the country and abroad.
• Australia decisively rejected a proposal to recognise Indigenous people in the constitution on Saturday.
13th October, Current Affairs:
• Cricket has been approved by the
International Olympic Committee's executive for inclusion in the programme
for the 2028 Games in Los Angeles.
• The Female Labour Force Participation Rate in the country has improved significantly by 4.2 percentage points to 37 per-cent this year. This was revealed in the data released by the Statistics and Programme Implementation Ministry in its Periodic Labour Force Survey Report 2022-23.
• World Athletics has nominated Neeraj Chopra for the Men's Athlete of the Year award 2023. Javelin thrower Neeraj is an Indian Olympic and World Championships Gold medallist.
11th October, Current Affairs:
• Today is International Day of the
Girl Child. The theme this year is - Invest in Girls' Rights- Our
Leadership, Our Well-being.
• India batter Rohit Sharma broke the record for the most international sixes across formats, eclipsing Chris Gayle’s tally during the ICC World Cup 2023 match against Afghanistan in Delhi. West Indies batsman Chris Gayle had amassed a haul of 553 sixes (551 innings), which Rohit surpassed in just 473 innings.
9th October, Current Affairs:
• The assembly elections in Mizoram,
Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Telangana will be held between
7th to 30th of next month, while the counting for all five states will take
place on 3rd December.
• Harvard University professor Claudia Goldin, has won the 2023 Nobel economics prize. The Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences 2023, officially known as The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences, has been awarded to Claudia Goldin “for having advanced our understanding of women’s labour market outcomes.”
8th October, Current Affairs:
• At the Hangzhou Asian Games in China,
the Indian contingent finished its campaign by with a record haul of 107
medals comprised of 28 gold, 38 silver, and 41 bronze.
• Air Force Day is celebrated today.
• In Afghanistan, the death toll from strong earthquakes rose to 2,000 after a 6.3 magnitude quake struck about 40km from the western city of Herat yesterday.
• Till now, around 500 people have been killed in both Israel and Palestine in the latest conflict that started after an unprecedented attack launched by the Palestinian militant group Hamas on Saturday morning.
7th October, Current Affairs:
• India have clinched a historic 100
medals by winning 25 gold, 35 silver, and 40 bronze in the Asian Games 2023.
India touched the 100th medal mark with a gold medal in women's kabaddi.
• The death toll in the massive flash flood in Sikkim reached 56. So far, 26 bodies have been recovered from Sikkim, and 30 have been found in the basin of the Teesta River in West Bengal.
• The Israel Defence Forces (IDF) declared a State Of War alert today after Palestinian militants, Hamas, launched rocket attacks from the Gaza Strip.
6th October, Current Affairs:
• Iranian human rights activist Narges
Mohammadi has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize 2023.
• India men's hockey team outclassed 2018 champions Japan in the final to win the Gold medal for the 4th time in the country's history. India came up with a complete show to beat 2018 champions Japan 5-1. India also secured a direct berth for the Paris Olympics next year.
• RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 6.5 percent fourth time in a row.
• Indian-origin professor Dr Joyeeta Gupta has received the Spinoza Prize, the highest distinction in Dutch science for her work in the field of climate change at a ceremony in the Netherlands.
5th October, Current Affairs:
• World Cerebral Palsy Day is celebrated
• Norwegian author and dramatist Jon Fosse won the 2023 Nobel Prize in Literature. He was conferred with the award “for his innovative plays and prose which give voice to the unsayable.”
• ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 starts from today in India.
4th October, Current Affairs:
• At least 23 Army personnel and 20
civilians are missing in Sikkim after a cloudburst triggered flash floods in
the Teesta river.
• Moungi Bawendi, Louis Brus and Alexei Ekimov have been awarded Nobel Prize for Chemistry for "discovery and synthesis of quantum dots".
• Hindustan Aeronautics Limited today handed over the first LCA Tejas twin seater aircraft to the Indian Air Force. The LCA Tejas twin seater is a light weight, all weather multi-role 4.5 generation aircraft.
• India's overall medal tally in Asian Games has now reached its best ever 81, comprising 18 gold, 31 silver and 32 bronze. India's previous best was 70 medals in 2018 Jakarta Asian Games.
3rd October, Current Affairs:
• The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
today awarded the 2023 Physics Nobel Prize to Pierre Agostini, Ferenc Krausz
and Anne L’Huillier for experimental methods that generate attosecond pulses
of light for the study of electron dynamics in matter.
• The World Bank has decided to maintain its growth forecast for India in the fiscal year 2023-24 at 6.3 per cent.
2nd October, Current Affairs:
• The 154th birth anniversary of Mahatma
Gandhi is celebrated today.
• The Bihar government made public the results of its caste-based survey. Also known as the Bihar Jaati Adharit Ganana, the census shows that Scheduled Castes account for over 19 per cent of the 13-crore population, while Scheduled Tribes make up 1.68 per cent. The upper castes, or 'savarnas', form 15.52 per cent of state's population.
• Katalin Kariko and Drew Weissman won the Nobel Medicine Prize for work on messenger RNA (mRNA) technology that paved the way for groundbreaking Covid-19 vaccines.
• India’s first solar roof cycling track inaugurated in Hyderabad. This innovative track named Healthway is the second of its kind globally.
1st October, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi today led
the nation in Swachhata Hi Seva Abhiyan by joining mega cleanliness drive.
• Tajinderpal Singh Toor clinched a top podium finish in shot put event while Avinash Sable won a gold medal in the men's 3000m steeplechase with an Asian Games record.
• Dr. Mohamed Muizzu of the opposition PPM PNC coalition has won the Presidential elections in Maldives.
• The Army Training Command is celebrating its 33rd Raising Day today.