Indian Armed forces Equivalent ranks
• The President of India is the Commander-in-chief of the Indian Armed Forces.
• Indian Armed Forces consists of three professional uniformed services: the Indian Army, Indian Navy, and Indian Air Force.
• The Indian Armed Forces are also supported by the Indian Coast Guard and paramilitary organisations.
• It is the world's second-largest military force with strength of over 1.4 million active personnel and has the world's largest volunteer army.
• As per the 2020 Global Firepower report, Indian Armed forces is fourth most-powerful military in the World.
• The highest wartime gallantry award given by the Military of India is the Param Vir Chakra, followed by the Maha Vir Chakra and the Vir Chakra.
• Its peacetime equivalent is the Ashoka Chakra Award.
• The highest decoration for meritorious service is the Param Vishisht Seva Medal.
• The highest ranks of the three Indian Defence forces Field Marshal (in Army), Marshal of the Air Force (in Air Force), and Admiral of the Fleet (in Navy) are 5 star ranks.
• Late Field Marshal S.H.F.J. Manekshaw and the late Field Marshal Kodandera Madappa Cariappa are the only two officers who have attained Field Marshal rank. Senior air officer Arjan Singh is the only one who had received the rank of the Marshal of the Indian Air Force.
• The Admiral of the Fleet rank has never been awarded.
• Indian military officers who hold a 5 star rank are considered to be serving officers till death and hold their rank for life.
|Field Marshal||Marshal of the Air Force||Admiral of the fleet|
|General||Air Chief Marshal||Admiral|
|Lt. General||Air Marshal||Vice Admiral|
|Major General||Air Vice Marshal||Rear Admiral|
|Lt. Colonel||Wing Commander||Commander|
|Major||Squadron Leader||Lt. Commander|
|Lieutenant||Flying Officer||Sub Lieutenant|
|Subedar/Risaldar Major||Master Warrant Officer||Master Chief Petty Officer ( First Class )|
|Subedar/Risaldar||Warrant Officer||Master Chief Petty Officer ( Second Class )|
|Naib Subedar/Risaldar||Junior Warrant Officer||Chief Petty Officer|
|Lance Havildar/Daffadar||Sergeant||Petty Officer|
|Lance Naik||Leading Aircraftsman||Seaman I|
|ICG Ranks||Navy Ranks|
|ICG Ranks||Navy Ranks|
|Director General||Vice Admiral (FOC-in-C’s Scale)|
|Additional Director General||Vice Admiral (HAG scale)|
|Inspector General||Rear Admiral|
|Deputy Inspector General (Senior)||Commodore|
|Deputy Inspector General (Junior)||Captain|
|Commandant||Captain (with seniority) or Commander|
|Commandant (Junior Grade)||Commander|
|Deputy Commandant||Lt. Commander|
|Assistant Commandant (Trainee)||Sub Lieutenant|