Home⇒Current Affairs⇒Current Affairs, June-2013
• P. Sathasivam appointed be the Next Chief Justice of India. He will be 40th Chief Justice of India (CJI) and will take office on 18th July 2013.
• Germany's Nico Rosberg won the British Formula One grand prix .
• Airports Authority of India will develop 50 new low-cost airports across 11 states.
• Election Commission (EC) issues a notice to BJP leader Gopinath Munde to explain why he spent Rs. 8 crore in the last Lok Sabha elections.
• As announced by the International Cricket Council in London, India will host 2016 World Twenty20, 2021 World Test Championship and 2023 edition of the 50-over World Cup.
• Petrol price hiked by Rs 1.82 per liter.
• The annual pilgrimage to the Amarnath cave in the Kashmir Valley started on schedule from today morning.
• Indian railways launched an SMS-based ticketing system.
• US Senate passes sweeping immigration bill.
• Krishna Chaudhary appointed as Director General, National Disaster Response Force and Civil Defence.
• Spain and Brazil reach the final of FIFA Confederations Cup, 2013.
• Wal-Mart India CEO Raj Jain resigns.
• Rupee sinks to record low with 60.72 against dollar.
• Kevin Rudd sworn in as Australian prime minister after Julia Gillard quit as prime minister.
• Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi flag off 18-km Banihal-Qazigund rail link connecting Kashmir valley to Jammu region.
• Prime Minister Manmohan Singh visit Kashmir.
• A rescue chopper in Uttarakhand crashed killing at least 19 people were feared to be dead.
• Ex-military ruler Pervez Musharraf in the list of main accused who conspired to assassinate former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto in 2007.
• Sonia Gandhi laid foundation stone of Rattle Hydro Power Project in Kishtwar district of Jammu & Kashmir.
• Total 19 sites have been added to UNESCO's World Heritage list of places of "outstanding universal value".
• Former Cricketer Darren Lehmann appointed as coach of Australian Cricket Team.
• A Mumbai session court rejected Salman Khan's plea in connection with 2002 hit and run case and decided that he would be tried in culpable homicide charge which implicates a jail term of 10 year.
• Wimbledon 2013 starts in England.
• India wins Champions Trophy 2013 defeating England by 5 runs.
• Shikhar Dhawan wins golden bat, Jadeja wins golden ball in Champions Trophy 2013.
• Six forts of Rajathan, Chittorgarh, Kumbhalgarh, Jaisalmer, Ranthambhore (Sawai Madhopur), Gagaron (Jhalawar) and Amber (Jaipur) were recognized as serial World Heritage Sites in the 37th session of the World Heritage Committee (WHC) in Phnom Penh, Cambodia .
• Till now 550 dead and 50,000 still trapped in Uttarakhand.
• Mount Etna of Italy gains World Heritage Site status.
• Indian rupee falls to record low of 59.57 Rs per Dollar.
• India reaches the final of ICC Champions trophy defeating Sri Lanka by 8 wickets. India will play England in the final.
• Nitish Kumar win the vote of confidence in Bihar Assembly with 126 MLA support.
• England reaches the final of ICC Champions Trophy, 2013 after defeating South Africa by 7 wickets in Semi Final.
• Monsoon rains in North India killed at least 60 people and left tens of thousands stranded.
• Tianhe-2, a supercomputer developed by China’s National University of Defense Technology earned the number one spot of fastest computer in the Top 500 survey of supercomputers.
• UPA Government inducts 8 new ministers.
• Mallikarjun Kharge appoints as the new Railways Minister.
• AirAsia India appoints TCS Vice-Chairman S Ramadorai as Chairman.
• The 39th G-8 Summit start in Northern Ireland.
• Janata Dal United (JD (U)) formally announced party is breaking away 17-year alliance with the BJP opposing the elevation of Gujarat Chief Narendra Modi to chief of BJP’s election campaign committee.
• Ratan Tata is selected as the Chief Advisor to low-cost carrier, Air Asia India’s board.
• The Government of India appoints SK Roy as the new Chairman of Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC).
• Hassan Rowhani elected as new Iranian President.
• Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation minister Ajay Maken submitted his resignation ahead of the Cabinet reshuffle.
• 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup starts at Brazil.
• The world observed the World Blood Donor Day on 14 June 2013 with its theme of the year Give the Gift of Life: Donate Blood.
• Iran's presidential election held for a successor to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who serving two consecutive terms.
• BSNL decided to put an end to the 160-year-old telegraph service in India from July 15.
• Maoist attacked a passenger train in Bihar, killing three people.
• Naveen Jindal and Dasari Narayana Rao named in Coalgate FIR registered by CBI.
• India Cricket Team reaches the semifinal of Champions Trophy in England.
• Gauri Monga wins Southern India golf title.
• Former union minister and Congress leader V.C Shukla from Chhattisgarh, died in a Gurgaon hospital after battling injuries sustained in a deadly naxal attack on a convoy of party leaders on May 25, 2013.
• L K Advani withdraws resignation.
• Cayan Tower in Dubai inaugurated as the world's tallest twisted tower, which spirals at 90 degrees from the bottom.
• LK Advani quits all posts in BJP.
• BCCI suspends Rajasthan Royals co-owner Raj Kundra after he confessed betting in IPL.
• Narendra Modi anointed as chairman of BJP 2014 Lok Sabha election campaign committee.
• K Srikanth wins his maiden men's singles title at the Thailand Open Grand Prix.
• Rafael Nadal wins men's single in French Open defeating David Ferrer.
• Serena Williams wins French Open defeating Maria Sharapova 6-4 6-4 in the final.
• Former South African President Nelson Mandela taken to a hospital after being critical condition.
• Bob and Mike Bryan won Doubles Title at French Open 2013.
• Jet Airways India CEO Nikos Kardassis resigns.
• BJP national executive meeting in Goa started.
• K R Kamath Re-Elected as the Chairman of Indian Banks Association.
• Sanjay Patel has been appointed as the BCCI secretary, replacing Sanjay Jagdale.
• T Venkatesh has been selected as the new treasurer of BCCI.
• Rajasthan Royals co-owner Raj Kundra has confessed to betting in IPL matches.
• TCA Raghavan is appointed as new High Commissioner to Pakistan.
• ICC Champions Trophy start from today in England and Wales.
• The first all women police station in Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh started functioning.
• Susan Elizabeth Rice Appointed as the National Security Adviser to US President Barack Obama.
• BJP win all six constituencies in Gujrat, two Lok Sabha and four state assembly seats in the by-elections held on Sunday.
• Nawaz Sharif formally elected as Pakistan’s PM.
• World Environment Day is observed promote awareness on the importance of preserving biodiversity.
• Amazon.com Inc launches online marketplace in India.
• Actress Jiah Khan committed suicide at her Juhu residence.
• Delhi Police invoked MCOCA against cricketer S Sreesanth and 25 others arrested in the Indian Premier Leaguespot-fixing scandal.
• Actor Vindu Dara Singh and CSK principal Gurunath Meiyappan granted bail by a local court.
• Former Bangladesh cricket team captain Mohammad Ashraful suspended by BCB after his involvement in fixing.
• More Than 65 Countries across the World Signed the Arms Trade Treaty.
• Raghav Joneja at the age of 15, becomes youngest Indian to climb Everest.
• Burundi's Lydia Nsekera became the first woman to be elected to the FIFA Executive Committee for four years.
• Six major political parties would be answerable under the Right to Information Act as informed by The Central Information Commission. These parties are Congress, BJP, CPI(M), CPI, BSP and NCP.
• Jose Mourinho returns to English Football Club Chelsea as manager again.
• Arvind Kejriwal will contest against Sheila Dikshit in Delhi polls.
• Former BCCI & ICC President Jagmohan Dalmiya chosen as interim BCCI Board President till the probe into the spot-fixing scandal is completed.
• Infosys Limited announced the appointing of Mr. N R Narayana Murthy as Executive Chairman of the Board and Additional Director of the company.
• Rajeev Shukla resigns as IPL Chairman.