• Karnataka is located on the southeastern part of India. The state forms a part of the Deccan Plateau.
• The state is bounded by Goa and Maharashtra to the north, Andhra Pradesh to the east, Tamil Nadu to the southeast, and Kerala to the south and by the Arabian Sea to the west.
• The state was created on 1st November 1956 as the State of Mysore. In 1973 it was renamed as Karnataka.
• The state covers an area of 191,976 square km. It is the Seventh largest Indian state by area.
• The state has total 30 districts.
• Bangalore or Bengaluru is the capital of Karnataka. The city is also known as Silicon Valley of India or information technology capital of India. Mangalore, Hubli, Belgaum, Hampi, Bellary, Mysore are the other main cities in the state.
• Total population of the state is around 6 cores according to 2011 census, while the density is 320 per square km.
• Literacy rate in the state is 75.60%.
• Krishna and Kaveri is the main river of Karnataka.
• Kannada is the most widely spoken and official language of Karnataka.
• Agriculture, Manufacturing Industry, IT Industry are the main contributor of the state economy.
• Mysore, Bannerghatta National Park, Jog Fall, Nandi Hills, Bandipur, Stone Chariot in Hampi is the main tourist attraction. 90% of the gold produce in India is produce from Karnataka.
• The economy of the state is also dependent on gold, manganese, coffee, silk and sandalwood manufacturing.
|Song||Jaya Bharata Jananiya Tanujate|