Meghalaya is a state located in the northeastern region of India. It is known for its natural beauty, rich culture, and heritage. The state's capital is Shillong, which is also known as the "Scotland of the East" for its hilly terrain and pleasant weather.
Meghalaya is known for its natural beauty, with several waterfalls, caves, and limestone formations. The state is home to the Cherrapunji and Mawsynram, which are two of the wettest places on Earth, and the Nohkalikai Falls, which is the highest plunge waterfall in India. The state is also known for its rich architectural heritage, such as the Nartiang Monoliths and the Nongkrem PWD Rest House.
Below are some important facts to remember about Meghalaya:
• Meghalaya is located on the North-Eastern part of India. It is one of the major tourist attraction site in North East
• Meghalaya is established on 21 January 1972 after separated from Assam.
• This state surrounded by Bangladesh in south and the west and Assam in north and east. Total area of the state is 22,429 Sq. Km.
• There are total 11 districts in the state.
• Total population in the state is 29, 64,007 according to 2011 census.
• Khasi, Pnar, Garo and English are the main languages in Meghalaya.
• English is the official language of Meghalaya.
• Density in the state is 132 Per Sq. Km while the literacy rate 75.48 %.
• Shillong is the capital of Meghalaya and also the biggest city in the state.
• Shillong is also known as Scotland of East. Shillong, which was made Assam's capital in 1874, remained so till January 1972, following the formation of Meghalaya.
• Daring, Sanda, Manda, Darming, Ringge are the main rivers in the state.
• Cherrapunji holds the world record for most rain in a calendar month, while the village of Mawsynram, near Cherrapunji, holds the record for the most rain in a year.
• Mawlynnong village, in the East Khasi Hills in Meghalaya has won the acclaim of being the cleanest village in Asia.
• The economy of the state is mainly depends on agriculture.
• Sillong, Cherrapunji, Elephant Falls, Umiam Lake, Dawki etc are the major tourist attraction in Meghalaya.
|Lady's Slipper Orchid