• Meghalaya is located on the North-Eastern part of India. It is one of the major tourist attraction site in North East
• Meghalaya is established on 21 January 1972 after separated from Assam.
• This state surrounded by Bangladesh in south and the west and Assam in north and east. Total area of the state is 22,429 Sq. Km.
• There are total 11 districts in the state.
• Total population in the state is 29, 64,007 according to 2011 census.
• Khasi, Pnar, Garo and English are the main languages in Meghalaya.
• English is the official language of Meghalaya.
• Density in the state is 132 Per Sq. Km while the literacy rate 75.48 %.
• Shillong is the capital of Meghalaya and also the biggest city in the state.
• Shillong is also known as Scotland of East. Shillong, which was made Assam's capital in 1874, remained so till January 1972, following the formation of Meghalaya.
• Daring, Sanda, Manda, Darming, Ringge are the main rivers in the state.
• Cherrapunji holds the world record for most rain in a calendar month, while the village of Mawsynram, near Cherrapunji, holds the record for the most rain in a year.
• Mawlynnong village, in the East Khasi Hills in Meghalaya has won the acclaim of being the cleanest village in Asia.
• The economy of the state is mainly depends on agriculture.
• Sillong, Cherrapunji, Elephant Falls, Umiam Lake, Dawki etc are the major tourist attraction in Meghalaya.
|Flower||Lady's Slipper Orchid|