• Meghalaya is located on the North-Eastern part of India. It is one of the major tourist attraction site in North East
• Meghalaya is established on 21 January 1972 after separated from Assam.
• This state surrounded by Bangladesh in south and the west and Assam in north and east. Total area of the state is 22,429 Sq. Km.
• There are total 11 districts in the state.
• Total population in the state is 29, 64,007 according to 2011 census.
• Khasi, Pnar, Garo and English are the main languages in Meghalaya.
• English is the official language of Meghalaya.
• Density in the state is 132 Per Sq. Km while the literacy rate 75.48 %.
• Shillong is the capital of Meghalaya and also the biggest city in the state.
• Shillong is also known as Scotland of East. Shillong, which was made Assam's capital in 1874, remained so till January 1972, following the formation of Meghalaya.
• Daring, Sanda, Manda, Darming, Ringge are the main rivers in the state.
• Cherrapunji holds the world record for most rain in a calendar month, while the village of Mawsynram, near Cherrapunji, holds the record for the most rain in a year.
• Mawlynnong village, in the East Khasi Hills in Meghalaya has won the acclaim of being the cleanest village in Asia.
• The economy of the state is mainly depends on agriculture.
• Sillong, Cherrapunji, Elephant Falls, Umiam Lake, Dawki etc are the major tourist attraction in Meghalaya.
|District||Headquarters||Area (km2)||Population (2011)||Population Density (/km2)|
|East Garo Hills||Williamnagar||2,603||3,17,618||121|
|East Khasi Hills||Shillong||2,752||8,24,059||292|
|East Jaintia Hills||Khliehriat||2,115||1,22,436||58|
|North Garo Hills||Resubelpara||1,113||1,18,325||106|
|South Garo Hills||Baghmara||1,850||1,42,574||77|
|South West Garo Hills||Ampati||822||1,72,495||210|
|South West Khasi Hills||Mawkyrwat||1,341||1,10,152||82|
|West Jaintia Hills||Jowai||1,693||2,70,352||160|
|West Garo Hills||Tura||3,714||6,42,923||173|
|West Khasi Hills||Nongstoin||5,247||3,85,601||73|