• Odisha is situated on the coast along the Bay of Bengal on the eastern part of India. Odisha is the modern name of the ancient kingdom of Kalinga.
• The state of Orissa was established on 1 April 1936, as a province in British India.
• Odisha shares its boundary with West Bengal to the north-east and in the east, Chhattisgarh to the west and north-west, Jharkhand to the north and Andhra Pradesh to the south.
• Bhubaneswar is the capital and largest city of Odisha.
• Total area of the state is 155,707 sq km.
• Total district in the state is 30.
• Oriya is the official language in Odisha.
• Total population in the state is around 3.6 cores according to 2011 census.
• Density in the state is 270 per sq km.
• Literacy rate in the state is 73.45 %. Mahanadi, Kathajodi, Brahmani, Baitarani etc are the main rivers in Odisha. Mahanadi is the longest river in the state.
• Bhubaneswar, Cuttack, Puri, Rourkela are the main cities in Odisha.
• The state is mainly famous for its temple and beaches among the tourist. Lingaraj Temple, Sun Temple at Konark, Chilka Lake, Nandan Kanan National Park, Jagannath Temple etc are the main tourist attraction in Odisha.
• Economy of the state is mainly depends on agriculture and natural resources.
|District||Headquarters||Area (km2)||Population (2011)||Population Density (/km2)|