• The Union Territory of Puducherry lies in the southern part of the Indian Peninsula.
• The territory of Puducherry comprises the former four French establishment Puducherry, Karaikal, Mahe and Yanam.
• It was under the French rule for 138 years and merged with the Indian Union on 1st November 1954.
• Puducherry was formerly known as Pondicherry. The territory changed its official name to Puducherry on 20th September 2006.
• The Union Territory of Puducherry consists of four small districts: Puducherry, Karaikal district and Yanam district on the Bay of Bengal and Mahé district on the Laccadive Sea, covering a total area of 483 square kilometres.
• The areas of Puducherry district and Karaikal district are bound by the state of Tamil Nadu, while Yanam district and Mahé district are enclosed by the states of Andhra Pradesh and Kerala respectively.
• Puducherry is the 29th most populous state in India. As per 2011 census, the population in Puducherry is 1,394,467.
• Tamil, Hindi, English and French are the official languages of Puducherry.
|Song||Tamil Thai Valthu|
|Animal||Indian palm squirrel|
|Tree||Bael fruit tree|