• Punjab is situated in the northwestern part of the country. Punjab is also known as land of five rivers.
• It shares its boundary by Himachal Pradesh and Chandigarh on east, Jammu and Kashmir on north, Haryana and Rajasthan on South, and Pakistan by west.
• Total area of Punjab is 50,362 sq. km.
• The state capital is located in Chandigarh, a Union Territory and also the capital of the neighboring state of Haryana.
• Punjab has 22 districts.
• Total population in the state is 2,77,04,236 according to 2011 census.
• Density in the state is 550 square km.
• Literacy rate in the state is 76.68 %.
• Lohri, Baisakhi, Gurpurab are the main festival of Punjab. Bhangra is the main dance of Punjab.
• Punjabi is the official language of Punjab.
• Beas, Sutlej, Ravi are the main river of Punjab.
• Economy of the state is mainly depends on agriculture.
• There are total 13 parliamentary constituencies in Punjab.
• 60 % of the population is Sikhs by religion.
• Mohali, Ludhiana, Amritsar, Patiala and Jalandhar are the main cities of Punjab.
• Harmandir Sahib in Amritsar is one of the major tourist destinations in Punjab.
|District||Headquarters||Area (km2)||Population (2011)||Population Density (/km2)|
|Fatehgarh Sahib||Fatehgarh Sahib||1,180||5,99,814||508|
|Sri Muktsar Sahib||Sri Muktsar Sahib||2,596||9,02,702||348|
|Sahibzada Ajit Singh Nagar||Mohali||1,188||9,86,147||830|
|Shahid Bhagat Singh Nagar||Nawanshahr||1,283||6,14,362||479|
|Tarn Taran||Tarn Taran Sahib||2,414||11,20,070||464|