• Vishal Sikka was born in Shajapur Madhya Pradesh in Punjabi family.
• His father worked as an officer in the Indian Railways.
• He completed his schooling from Rosary High School, Baroda. After graduating in computer engineering from Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Sikka finished his BS in computer science from Syracuse University and his PhD in artificial intelligence from Stanford University in 1996.
• Sikka started his professional career with worked at Xerox's research at the Palo Alto Labs. He also founded two companies named iBrain and Bodha.com, which were later acquired by PatternRX and Peregrine Systems respectively.
• Sikka joined Peregrine Systems as their area Vice-President for Platform Technologies.
• In 2002 Sikka joined SAP to head the advanced technology group responsible for strategic innovative projects. Later he was promoted to Senior Vice President of Architecture and Chief Software Architect.
• By 2007, he was named the first CTO of the company. He was one of the main architects in the development process of HANA (High Performance Analytic Appliance) which is one of the fasted selling SAP products in recent times.
• On June 12, 2014 Sikka named as the CEO and MD of Infosys Ltd, India's third-largest IT services exporter. His is the person to take over the charge as first non-founder CEO in the company's history.