• West Bengal is located in the eastern part of India on the Bay of Bengal.
• The state was established on 1st November 1956.
• The state has a total area of 88,752 square km.
• West Bengal has 20 districts.
• West Bengal shares its boundary with Sikkim and Bhutan in the north, Assam in the northeast, Bangladesh in the east, the Bay of Bengal in the south, Orissa in the southwest, Jharkhand and Bihar in the west, and Nepal in the northwest.
• The total population of the state is 91,347,736 with a density of 1000 per square km.
• The literacy rate in the state is 77.08 %.
• Kolkata is the capital city of West Bengal.
• Kolkata is also known as the "City of Joy".
• The economy of the state depends on mainly agriculture.
• Kolkata, Darjeeling, Victoria Memorial, Vidyasagar Setu, Shantiniketan, Sunderbans Tiger Reserve, Dakshineswar Kali Temple, etc are the main tourist attraction in West Bengal.
• Darjeeling is one of the favorite hill stations in India. Durga Puja is the main and widely celebrated festival in West Bengal.
• Ganga and Hooghly are the main rivers of West Bengal.
• National Library of India in Kolkata is the biggest library in the country.
• Birla Planetarium, Kolkata is the largest planetarium in Asia and the second largest planetarium in the world.