Current Affairs,August 2022
31st August, Current Affairs:
• Festival of Ganesh Chaturthi being
celebrated across the country today.
• India's GDP grew at 13.5 per cent in the April-June quarter of the financial year 2022-23, according to the data released by the National Statistical Office (NSO).
• Bollywood actor Ranveer Singh won the Best Actor in a Lead Role (Male) award for his cricket drama '83' at the 67th Filmfare Awards in Mumbai, while Kriti Sanon bagged the Best Actor in a Lead Role (female) award for 'Mimi'.
• Former President of the Soviet Union, Mikhail Gorbachev, who brought the Cold War to an end, passed away today at the age of 91.
30th August, Current Affairs:
• Gautam Adani is the first Asian to
become world’s third-richest person of the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
With a net worth of $137 billion, the 60-year-old business tycoon trails
Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos on the coveted list.
• Economic Advisory Council to Prime Minister, EAC-PM today released the Competitiveness Roadmap for India@100 in New Delhi.
27th August, Current Affairs:
• Justice Uday Umesh Lalit today sworn
in as the 49th Chief Justice of India.
• Scientists from the University of Cambridge have created world's first "synthetic" embryo that has a brain, a beating heart, and the building blocks for every other organ in the body. The embryo has been created from mouse stem cells.
• Olympic champion Neeraj Chopra made athletics history after becoming the first Indian to win a Diamond League event. The victory also helped Chopra to qualify for the Diamond League finals in Zurich next month.
• FIFA has lifted the ban imposed on the All India Football Federation (AIFF). The decision has cleared the decks for India to host the Women's U-17 World Cup scheduled to take place on 11-30 October.
• In badminton, Indian pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty settled for a bronze at the BWF World Championships at Tokyo.
26th August, Current Affairs:
• University Grant Commission, UGC has
declared twenty-one universities as fake.
• The 31st Vyas Samman was conferred on to well-known Hindi writer Dr. Asghar Wajahat at a function in New Delhi. Dr. Wajahat has been chosen for the prestigious award for his play Mahabali.
• In a historic first, the Supreme Court has on Friday begun live streaming of its order on political freebies.
25th August, Current Affairs:
• India’s former Chief Economic Adviser
Krishnamurthy Subramanian has been appointed to the post of Executive
Director (India) at the IMF, with effect from November 1, 2022.
• Distinguished scientist Samir V Kamat appointed as Secretary of the Department of Defence Research and Development and Chairman of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
24th August, Current Affairs:
• Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar-led
Mahagathbandhan government won the floor test in the State Assembly to prove
• India has developed the first indigenously developed RT-PCR kit for testing monkeypox disease. The kit is developed by Transasia Bio-Medicals.
23rd August, Current Affairs:
• The services of three Indian Air Force
(IAF) officers were terminated in connection with the accidental firing of a
BrahMos missile that landed in Pakistan on March 9, 2022.
• Defence Research and Development Organisation and Indian Navy successfully flight tested Vertical Launch Short Range Surface to Air Missile (VL-SRSAM) today.
• Diplomat Vikram K. Doraiswami was appointed as India's new High Commissioner to the United Kingdom.
19th August, Current Affairs:
• The Janmashtami festival, marking the
birth of Lord Krishna, is being celebrated in various parts of India.
• The 17th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas 2023 will be held at Indore in January next year.
• Young striker Manisha Kalyan has become the first Indian footballer to play at the UEFA Women's Champions League when she made her debut for Apollon Ladies FC in the European Club competition in Engomi, Cyprus.
• World Humanitarian Day (WHD) is being observed today.
• World Photography Day is being observed today.
18th August, Current Affairs:
• The Cabinet has approved interest
subvention of 1.5 per cent on Short Term Agriculture Loan up to three lakh
• Union transport Minister Nitin Gadkari today launched India’s first electric double-decker bus at Y B Centre in south Mumbai.
15th August, Current Affairs:
• India is celebrating its 76th
Independence Day today.
• Britain has become the first country to authorise a Covid-19 vaccine that targets the Omicron variant. The UK medicine regulator (MHRA) approved the 'bivalent' vaccine made by Moderna as a booster for adults.
14th August, Current Affairs:
• President Droupadi Murmu address the
nation on the eve of the 76th Independence Day today.
• A total of one thousand 82 Police personnel have been awarded Police Medals on the occasion of Independence Day, 2022. 347 personnel awarded Police Medal for Gallantry, 87 with President’s Police Medal for Distinguished Service and 648 personnel awarded Police Medal for Meritorious Service.
• India has added 11 more wetlands to the list of Ramsar sites, bringing the country’s total tally to 75.
• Ace stock market investor Rakesh Jhunjhunwala died this morning at a Mumbai hospital. He was also the co-founder of Akasa Air, India's newest airline.
12th August, Current Affairs:
• Mr Jagdeep Dhankar was sworn in as the
14th Vice President of India today.
• Renowned Bangladeshi architect, researcher and educator Marina Tabassum became the first person from the global south and first south Asian to win the prestigious Lisbon Triennale Millennium bcp Lifetime Achievement Award.
• American tennis legend Serena Williams, the winner of 23 Grand Slam titles, has announced retirement from professional tennis.
• Today is World Elephant Day.
10th August, Current Affairs:
• Janata Dal (United) leader Nitish
Kumar was today sworn in as the Chief Minister of Bihar for a record eighth
time. RJD leader Tejashwi Prasad Yadav was also sworn in as the Deputy Chief
Minister for the second time.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi has dedicated to the nation the Second Generation (2G) Ethanol Plant at Panipat in Haryana through video conferencing.
• President Droupadi Murmu has appointed Justice as the 49th Chief Justice of India, CJI. He will take over the charge on 27th of this month.
• Today is World Biofuel Day.
• World Lion Day is being observed globally today.
9th August, Current Affairs:
• Nitish Kumar called off the alliance
between the JD(U) and BJP in Bihar and resigned as the state's chief
minister. Nitish Kumar also staked claim for formation of new government in
the state along with RJD.
• International Day of World’s Indigenous Peoples being celebrated today.
8th August, Current Affairs:
• Indian badminton ace PV Sindhu
beatCanada's Michelle Li 21-15, 21-13 in the 2022 Commonwealth Games women's
singles badminton final to win her first gold medal in women's singles at a
multi-sport event. India's Lakshy Sen also win the Gold medal after
defeating Tze Yong in the final to win the CWG 2022 Badminton Men's Singles
Gold in Birmingham. Till now, India finished fourth in the medals tally with
22 gold, 16 silver and 23 bronze.
• Gustavo Petro sworn in as Colombia's first leftist President.
• The 13th Edition of the Indo-US Joint Special Forces exercise “Ex Vajra Prahar 2022” commenced at the Special Forces Training School (SFTS), Bakloh in Himachal Pradesh.
• Parliament has passed the Central Universities (Amendment) Bill 2022 with the Rajya Sabha approving it today with a voice vote.
7th August, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi today
chaired the 7th Governing Council meeting of NITI Aayog at Rashtrapati
Bhawan Cultural Centre, New Delhi.
• India's Annu Rani clinched 3rd place in the women's javelin throw finals to become the first Indian woman to win the Javelin medal at the Commonwealth Games 2022 in Birmingham.
• Two satellites that were onboard the first flight of a new Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) rocket got placed in an unstable orbit and are no longer usable, the space agency said.
• Senior scientist Nallathamby Kalaiselvi appointed as director general of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), the first woman to lead the consortium of 38 research institutes across India.
• Indian chess legend Viswanathan Anand elected as the deputy president of FIDE (International Chess Federation), the sport's world governing body.
6th August, Current Affairs:
• Indian wrestlers Bajrang Punia (men's
65kg), Sakshi Malik (women's 62kg) and Deepak Punia (men's 86kg) have won
gold on Friday. Anshu Malik (women's 57kg) won a silver medal.
• NDA Presidential candidate Jagdeep Dhankhar has been elected as the new Vice President of India. He will be India's 14th Vice-President.
5th August, Current Affairs:
• The monetary policy committee (MPC) of
the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided unanimously to increase the
policy repo rate by 50 basis points to 5.4%, with immediate effect.
• The indigenously developed Laser-Guided Anti-Tank Guided Missiles ATGM were successfully test-fired from Main Battle Tank MBT Arjun by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
• The world's largest floating solar project is set to be built on river Narmada as the Madhya Pradesh government signed a contract for the first phase of the project.
4th August, Current Affairs:
• Chief Justice of India NV Ramana today
recommends Justice UU Lalit's name as his successor. Justice Lalit to become
the 49th CJI.
• Parliament has passed the Family Courts (Amendment) Bill 2022 with the Rajya Sabha approving it today amid din. The Lok Sabha has already cleared the Bill.
3rd August, Current Affairs:
• The Lok Sabha today passed the Wild
Life (Protection) Amendment Bill, 2021, seeking to increase the species
protected under the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972, and implement the
Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and
• Vigilance Commissioner Suresh N. Patel today appointed as the Central Vigilance Commissioner. He was sworn in as the chief of the probity watchdog Central Vigilance Commission by President Droupadi Murmu at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
• Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) has improved its rank by 51 places to secure 104th position in the latest Global 500 ranking of top 500 companies published by Fortune for the year 2022.
• The Personal Data Protection Bill, which sought to regulate how an individual's data can be used by companies and the government, has been withdrawn after a joint parliamentary committee suggested 81 changes to it. The Bill was introduced on December 11, 2019.
• The Lok Sabha today passed the Central Universities (Amendment) Bill, 2022 through a voice vote.
2nd August, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi held
delegation-level talks with President of Maldives Ibrahim Mohamed Solih in
New Delhi today.
• A CIA drone strike has killed al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri in Afghanistan.
• The Indian lawn bowls women's fours team has created history by winning a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham. It is India's first medal in the sport.