Current Affairs, February 2018
Home⇒Current Affairs⇒Current Affairs, February-2018
28th February, Current Affairs:
• Head of the Kanchi Mutt
Shankaracharya Jayendra Saraswathi died in Tamil Nadu's Kanchipuram at the
age of 82.
• India regained the status of the world's fastest-growing major economy in the October-December quarter after GDP growth accelerates to 7.2% in October-December quarter.
• Aircel Cellular Limited and Dishnet Wireless Limited, has filed for bankruptcy under Section 10 of the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
• Saudi Arabia has for the first time allowed women to join in its military.
25th February, Current Affairs:
• Veteran Bollywood actor Sridevi died
at the age of 54 after a cardiac arrest in Dubai.
• India beat South Africa by 7 runs in the third and final T20I at Newlands to win the three matches T20 series by 2-1.
23rd February, Current Affairs:
• Indian Navy successfully test fires nuclear-capable surface-to-surface ballistic missile Dhanush 'Dhanush' from sea.
20th February, Current Affairs:
• Avani Chaturvedi became the first Indian woman to fly a fighter aircraft solo when she flew a MiG-21 bison in her first solo flight from the IAFs Jamnagar base.
19th February, Current Affairs:
• Bhuvneshwar Kumar becomes the first Indian Pacer to take five wickets in a T20 match. He achieved this record in the first T20I against South Africa in Johannesburg. Kumar also became the second Indian after Yuzvendra Chahal to pick up a five-for in a T20I.
18th February, Current Affairs:
• Tripura assembly election held today on the 59 of 60 seats in the Tripura assembly.
17th February, Current Affairs:
• Canadian Prime Minister Justin
Trudeau arrived in India to start his week-long India.
• Roger Federer at the age of 36 became the oldest ATP World No. 1 when he defeated Robin Haase 4-6 6-1 6-1 to reach the semi-finals of the ABN AMRO World Tennis event in Rotterdam.
16th February, Current Affairs:
• India defeated South Africa by 5-1 in the six matched ODI series in South Africa. This is the first series win by any Indian Team in South Africa in bilateral series.
15th February, Current Affairs:
• Iran's President Hassan Rouhani arrived in India on a three day visit of the country.
13th February, Current Affairs:
• World Radio Day is observed today.
12th February, Current Affairs:
• Renowned Kannada writer and Jnanpith awardee Chandrashekhara Kambara elected president of Sahitya Akademi.
10th February, Current Affairs:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived
in Palestine. PM Modi is the first Indian Prime Minister to make an official
visit to Palestine.
• Palestine President Mahmoud Abbas conferred the "Grand Collar of the State of Palestine" on PM Modi in special recognition of his contribution to enhancing relations between India and Palestine. The Grand Collar of the State of Palestine is highest order given to foreign dignitaries.
• Veteran Sri Lanka spinner Rangana Herath surpassed Pakistan bowling great Wasim Akram as the most successful left-arm bowler in Test history with 415 wickets.
9th February, Current Affairs:
• In 'Healthy States, Progressive
India' report, with a health index of 76.55, Kerala tops the list to overall
performance in the health sector and Uttar Pradesh is at the bottom. The
report is developed by the Niti Aayog in consultation with the health
ministry and with technical assistance from the World Bank.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi left today on a three-nation tour to Palestine, United Arab Emirates and Oman.
• 2018 Olympic Winter Games started in PyeongChang, South Korea.
• The PepsiCo chairman and CEO Indra Nooyi have been appointed to the ICC board as its first independent female director.
6th February, Current Affairs:
• Maldivian President Abdulla Yameen
declared a 15-day state of Emergency in Maldives following political crisis.
• An indigenously developed short-range nuclear capable ballistic Agni-1 was successfully test-fired today at Odisha's Dr Abdul Kalam Island.
3rd February, Current Affairs:
• India wins the Under-19 World Cup Cricket after defeating Australia by 8 wickets in the final. India becomes the first team to clinch the title four times.
1st February, Current Affairs:
• Finance Minister Arun Jaitley presented the Union Budget 2018 in the Parliament today. There is no change in personal income tax rates. . A standard deduction of Rs. 40,000 has been proposed to be introduced for salaried individuals in Budget 2018.